Urgen!: Need help!! Inside

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by A M D BugBear, Oct 28, 2016.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    URGENT!: Need help!! Inside

Ok This is a very long story but going to cut it Real Short.

Basically, I was building a pc for my nieces b'day and was using a leftover Mobo, Asus Sabertooth 990fx(AMD Chipset), along with a brand new AMD FX 8350 cpu.

My Main problem seems to me memory issue, during in the OS' itself, the memory shows half of what it should.

I am using Corsair ddr3 1600mhz XMS3 2X4gb memories.

I also have 2 of this same identical mobo and a amd Thuban 1055t Cpu.

I personally tested both cpu's and memory on both mobo's, and still shows it up 4 gb.

I tested both cpu's on both mobo's at stock default speeds and or slightly oc'ed and more, still does the same b.s.

Bios verson is 1604(Latest) on both mobo's, Revision on the mobo itself, both are R1.01.

I found out earlier that fx8350 only works on r2 only then later on and confirmed through people's experiences that it works on r1 and my does boot up, even with 0904 bios(Older revision).

Sometimes it shows 8gb, sometimes it shows 4gb in the os'.

I even reseated the cpu, clean the memory, used pc air spray to clean anything on the mobo that will hinder its performance,etc., still came up

empty handed.

Question to everyone, I was looking into buying new memory? Is it needed?

I did the msconfig/advanced thingy and unticked the memory,etc, still same thing, nothing changes.

Fx8350 is capable of up to 1833mhz memory and thuban 1055t. up to 1333mhz memory

Mobo is capable up to I think 2133mhz.

Should I buy new sticks of ram?????

I need to get this pc done asap, I am way behind.

Remember, I tested this on both mobo's with both cpu's and same stick of those xms3 memory, still nothing.

Oh, BTW, I did memtest shortly after I got the cpu, no errors for over 4 passes.

Did aida extreme memory test for almost 5 hrs, nothing has flunked.

Thanks for helping everyone, looking for replies soon.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Have you read the MB manual for DIMM placement? Are you using a 64 bit OS?

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Is the mobo giving the memory modules the voltage specified by the memory manufacturer? If it's less for whatever reason, it might explain the behavior.

When I built this machine, I originally got 4x4GB of memory (because that's the only combination the shop happened to have), but it didn't work properly with the mobo. I returned the memory and waited a couple of days for 2x8, which worked after a bios update. You might just have a lousy luck with the memory+mobo combination. It would be good if you had some other memory modules available to verify the mobo is okay, but since you do have two mobos, the memory seems the more likely source of the problem.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Heard this happening before, loosening timings and/or lowering clocks got all RAM seen by the machine in that case

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Absolutely

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Corsair in the past has always been goid to me.

I'll look up the qvl but i think its all 1333mhz ddr's.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, that might solve it, but it would also mean the ram is not up to specs it was advertised with, which means it's faulty. I'd RMA such memory. After all, people pay extra for clocks and lower timings.

8. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya you responded to a guy in the AMD section he had same problem. He said he put 1 stick in at a time, dunno if that means 1 stick then boot then shut down and add the other then boot again or what. Bugbear send message to Lowki maybe he can answer. Check the AMD thread its titled [swapped mother boards same problem only half memory usable]. If you tried all the DIMM's dunno sounds like something is bad if you tried all Dimm configurations. Hope this helps.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

First I'll try to set the memory speed to near 1333mhz
    And see how it goes from there

10. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    You install 1 DIMM in RAM slot 0, then you go to BIOS/UEFI, go to the RAM department and it'll recognize and set up the RAM (9-9-9-24?). Then you save, exit and shut down, put the second DIMM into the other slot with the same color, go to BIOS' RAM department again and it'll recognize the second DIMM, check if it's a match for DIMM 0 and figure out if it can activate the Dual Channel RAM (obviously it's a match but it needs to go through this step). After it refreshes the RAM specs, you can save and exit, reboot and everything is peachy, regardless of timings or voltage.

11. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Not necessary ram issue. For example I had these ram sticks with my previous fx8350 and when I tried to oc them a little bit, sometimes the os detected only 1 stick. I have 1600Mhz cl10 v1.5 rams, but with this intel cpu I can run them at 2133Mhz cl11 v1.65 no problem whatsoever.

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Thanks, I'll give this a try.

According to the user manual, if u use only 2 sticks of ram, u use the light brown slots.

Just for kicks, i even tried the blue slots, no change.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Ok I did what you say to do and I also backed
    The memory speed to 1333mhz and guess what???

Seems the memory finally acting as it should. I restarted
    And shut down and then power on the pc many times to
    Make sure the ram allocation isn't acting like before and its not
    Acting up this time.

I am going to oc just a tad bit to see where the wall of which
    The memory acts up, brb later. Thanks for the help guys.

Oh BTW, Windows boots up alot faster now, damn.

14. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Oh wow...it wouldn't surprise me if the nut who designs those TUF motherboards actually does design them to be installed once, turned on and never turned off LOL...talk about being picky with RAM...

15. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok running at 1486mhz, it was around this range on my oc profile on the thuban cpu.

Oh btw, off topic, using the megahelms heatsink, still a beast.

Guessing somewhere in the 1500+ range Is the wall(cap) of these memories for the mobo/cpu(fx 8350).

Got it to 4.8, runs cool even on prime95.

16. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Nice that you finally got it running and clocked a bit to to your liking. Try not to snap off the CPU-socket with that ~1kg cooler before your niece gets the rig...

17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Just did hrs worth of memory testing with aida extreme program, no errors.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok Computer is all set.

Got the fx8350 @ 4.8, memory close to 1500mhz range, gtx 690 @ 1170+/6800+.

I can get the gtx at a much higher core frequency but games like dying light, gpu spikes to 100% and then game freezes, I back down clocks a bit, whereas other games doesn't show this sign.

Thermals are pretty good.

Old card but still a good card for 1920x1200 or 2560X1600(Depending on game and settings).

For the most part, games run prettie decent. Neverwinter online with TXAAx4 @ 2560X1600 runs 60fps.

Dying Light runs good @ 2560X1600, just some settings like shadows had to back down a bit.

New Doom runs great @ 1920X1200 resolution with maxed out settings + txaaX4.

Besides the nightmare settings(5gb+ vram)

I can run it at 2560X1600, runs prettie good but not constant 60 fps, runs good though with txaaX4 and all settings set to ultra.

Crysis 3 @ 1920X1200 w/max settings = well over 60fps easy, very very smooth.

Overall, alright system, nothing real crazy but it will do for now.

GTX 690 is still keeping up with today's games, and starting to show its sign with some games but it is holding up.

I would say a bear minimum, A gtx 690, to me, for today's games 1920X1200 with max settings to 2560X1440/1600P.

Anything higher, absolutely not, out of frame buffer, 2gbX2 still = 2gb frame buffer, it might be total of 4gb but still mirrored from the master gpu, thus still 2gb.

Some dx12 games I think ashes of singularity has this benefit cause of DX12, other then that, nope.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

Old mobo still haulin.

Solid mobo: Asus sabertooth amd 990fx

Ran prime95 for over an hr or so, a lil over 70+ celicus, I know the max point for theses cpu's is what 61'c? Its been doing alright thus far.

Vrm's temps were hot though, in the low 80'c and I had a fan right next to it and the stock heatsink(VRM's Heatsink's) on this bad boy is beefed up, solid vrm heatsink.

All my vrm settings in the bios is set to extreme, ultra high = not stable enough in the long run during prime95.

Ran memory test for hrs, no errors.

I got it running @ over 5ghz at one point, but not stable enough and it was running to hot with prime95, My voltage had to be raised alot more then what that the cpu is @ now.

Ran mine @ 1.4625 V on the cpu core, 5ghz+ requires well over 1.5v and that requires tremendous cooling, especially when the vrms,etc in the bios is set to extreme and that makes a HUGE difference in vrm and cpu temps during cpu stress test, going from ultra to extreme is a big jump in temps during stress test, so no point at that point, if I was going that route, mise well get an intel cpu that will perform alot better, the cooling is going to cost some $$, so no point. The megahelems is holding just fine,

Alot of the stuff I used was the stuff I don't use anymore, the only thing I changed was the thuban 1055t to the fx8350(not much difference but clocks alot higher) and a new psu, and a new phanteks full tower case, other then that, no.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016