PC not going to sleep ... new issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TyrantofJustice, Oct 26, 2016.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    so i am on windows 10 pro and my pc always went into sleep mode as i had it set to.

yesterday i realized my pc has been on for a few days and not sleeping.

i tried to put it in sleep mode but the mouse screen and keyboard all go to sleep but pc stays on with all fans spinning and leds on.

if i click mouse the mouse lights will come on same with keyboard but it will not awaken the display i need to hard reset the pc by the power button.

i did flash the gpu to a new bios but i flashed it back and still same issue.

any ideas?

i thought maybe pc was unstable as after one reset i got a failed to boot into windows and repair options appeared but on the next boot it was fine ... i ran intel burn test for 50 passes and all fine i also ran memtest and all is finew so im not sure what the issue is.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Do you have enabled enabled C-states ? Mainly C3/C6 ?

Thanks,Jura

3. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i never messed with the c states in bios so they are where they should be.

any other ideas? buddy

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Please double check if you do have enabled C-states in BIOS?
    And I can suspect XMP/W10 or something is messing with sleep states

I don't have enabled sleep mode,usually i turn the monitors manually

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

5. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    c states are enabled ... windows doing it? does that mean i need a fresh install?

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Try the following,
    change wake timers to important wake timers only under power options -> plan settings -> advanced -> sleep

If your memory is running at speeds more than 2133mhz but less than 3000mhz, change the speed to 2133mhz or 3000mhz and above or set maximus tweak (might be called something else on your board) to mode 2 in uefi.

8. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i will try what you guys said and report back but the only things ive added are a cablemod led light strip that uses a sata power connector and a new corsair mouse and not a cheap one.

9. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    OK also noticed it will not shut down via windows neither,so its not just sleep mode. Im going to try a fresh install before i attempt to come up with other ideas that may or may not be.

10. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    How?

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A tip for the next time or anyone else that stumbles into this. If you PC won't go to sleep, forcibly do so by manually activating sleep mode.

Once it goes to sleep it will very likely wake up due to the same issue that prevents it going to sleep. After wake-up type powercfg -lastwake in the command prompt:

Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 1
    Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&2e58d995&0
    Friendly Name:
    Description: USB-hoofdhub
    Manufacturer: (Standaard USB Host Controller)

In this example I woke up the PC with my USB keyboard. It is the easiest way to track back the device causing something.

9 out of 10 times however sleep mode issues are caused by WOL (Wake On Lan activity) issues on the Network interfaces. And Under NIC / Energy / properly un-check sleep mode wakeup. If so, go to the NIC properties and disable WOL. Also a secondary tip, sometimes simply resetting energy settings to defaults will fix something broken.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks for the tip!

Btw is it enough to have WOL disabled in BIOS or should it be disabled in Windows too either way?

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That should work either way, however I always disable them in Windows to be certain as that always works for me.

15. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I had the very same issue, I spent months trying to find out what the issue was but i had no luck so i changed my mobo from Asus to Msi but still the problem persisted, eventually after several google searches i found a suggestion about WOL....at the time i used my pc to stream to my main tv through ethernet.

Even when i wasnt streaming Wake on lan was the main cause but not the only one so i resorted to using an app called Wise auto shutdown, also i have Tinnitus and have to watch a film to help me sleep, i have an Oasis sound generator but a film is more effective so i use MPC-HC video player as it has a shutdown after play back option.

Other things that prevent sleep I found are Ea`s Origin, nvidia power mode on anything other than optimal and bit-mining adware.

I have eliminated most of the issues but its not 100% fixed, I had the same issues with windows 7 which was part of my reason for upgrading but the problem was still there even after a clean install.

16. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I fixed it by doing a clean install of windows 10 from usb ... but i had some other issues ... the first three times i installed windows yesterday and went to install intel chipset drivers it would hang and pc would freeze.

then the tp link wireless card drivers would cause another install to hang.

then the 3rd install only showed 8 gigs of memory which i did not check to see the first two times but it seems the stick was not all the way in the slot as i also tested each stick and each slot and it still booted fine.

this last install everything went fine and no hangs but i installed and reinstalled nvidia drivers for the 1080 and i get no nvidia control panel in my task bar but if i search it in cortana it shows up.

i tested ram and have no errors i tested my oc 50 passes of intel burn test and passed.
    so maybe my ssd? even though s.m.a.r.t says its fine.

also i had to unplug and replus my key board because number lock would not turn on so idk if its the key board or the mobo.

something just doesnt seem right and i should not have to install windows 4 times.

17. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ok the new drivers listed today put everything back the way it should be ... odd!

18. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    also thanks Hilbert for responding with words of wisdom and thanks to everyone else for the help as well.

19. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    well it must be software causing the sleep issue cause after i reinstalled everything i can no longer power down pc from windows put it to sleep or any of that.

Hmmmmm

20. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080