HELP!!!! BD writer not working.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Thug, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I have a Panasonic BDR207D internal Blu Ray writer and its showing in the hardware control panel but not in 'My Computer'.
    It obviously won't let me do anything either (can open it and it will populate a disc), but won't let me copy to it or run from it.
    I thought I would look for a newer firmware as I had never updated it in the years I have had it, and found one released last year.
    When I run it (runs in a Dos window) it shows as if it's working but comes up with an error. It's also showing the current firmware is 0000 and the internal clock is 00:00.
    Running W10 64bit.

Any ideas?

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Would help that you post what kind of error you see when you test in DOS.

But might just be missing a driver letter.
    1. WIN + X
    2. Select Disk manager
    3. Locate BD drive
    4. Right click and assign driver letter.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Could be corrupted firmware I think, given the updater can't detect current version or time properly.
    Had a busted HDD once and while it was visible in Device Manager, it wasn't visible in Explorer or even Disk Management.

Try the above suggestion first though and simply replugging the drive or using a different SATA port.

4. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm at work at the moment and have taken a photo of the error but don't know how to upload it.
    There isn't really an error code as such (just says Current Signature ID61), just 'now updating firmware' then 'update failed'.
    Sometimes it will show a drive number and other times it won't.
    Surely if it doesn't have one then one will be allocated by Windows?