New AMD Engineering Sample Zen Processors get higher Clocks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    COOOL, AMD bring it ON NOW. I want this CPU a.s.a.p.!:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I wouldn't really say so since all core boost is just 3,1 GHz. If anything this seems to confirm the clock problems which is likely caused by the 14nm process.

4. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    The clock really does not matter to me as long as they perform as advertised (+40% IPC) and is good priced (I will not waste +600EUR for a CPU) in comparison with Intel or let's say €/"Perfromace Index" beeing better or equal with Intel. I actually expect this CPU at a 300-400 EUR range with 80...90% of the Skylake performance.

I still own an old 8350 and still kick strong in all last games and day by day usage, in principle I can skip this upgrade but I just feel that I need something new (love the smell of new and fresh hardware in my rig :nerd:). FX990 chipset really start showing his age too!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Polaris is also clocking considerably less than Pascal, so it's indeed quite possible architectural decisions aren't the only explanation and GlobalFoundries simply can't get it up at the moment. Although that being said, nothing explains why TSMC would have it working better since they are no more experienced with the smaller tech than GloFo, as opposed to the old man Intel.

6. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Looks like Zen will be a fine CPU for everything....except for what I need, Emulation.

More than 4 cores is irrelevant in the world of emulation and if Zen tops out at 3.6Ghz then that will still make them alot slower than Haswell,Skylake and Kaby Lake, all of which will easily reach 4.5Ghz.

When IPC is roughly equal, which seems to be the case with Zen vs Intel, clockspeed will be king.

Maybe later revisions will break the 4Ghz barrier, but right now for Emulation, Intel will still be the CPU of choice.

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    It says 3.3ghz on a engineering sample. What are you smoking?

8. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I think ZEN is hyper overhyped and will tank, so My expectations are very low actually.

If it is not the case and Zen actually performs well, ok, I will then accept that I was wrong.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    3.6Ghz.... I was expecting at least 4.1, come on AMD this is bad. Kaby Lake prices will be once again sky-rocketing, as there is no competition. Same goes for Nvidia. AMD really needs to step up.

10. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    The AMD Zen in the Blender rendering test was on pair (slightly faster to be correct) with the i7 6900K.
    This intel cpu has 8 cores and 16 threads (like Zen), 3.2-3.7GHz clock, 140W TDP and costs about 1.000€.
    The Zen sample mentioned in the article has 3.1-3.6GHz @95W.

From what I see AMD has already achieved a big improvements over the old gen FX processors and overclocking the cpu beyond 4 GHz will be possible with less power than the Intel.

11. kaz050

kaz050 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW RGB
    i dont mind the clocks aslong as the price is right,guys need to remember that it has been along time since we seen normal cpu from amd,and remember that amd is jummping from 32nm all the way to 14 so there is bound to be sum hit or miss things.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    and thats the scary bit, if they wont be able to make 14nm right, mind that Intel has been at 14nm for quite some time now, we wont see AMD anywhere near 10nm in nearest future. That means 10nm Intel will be INSANE in terms of pricing.

AMD Really needs to step up.

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It supposed to be filling store shelves in a few short months. They don't have time for numerous engineering sample revisions anymore. Unless AMD decides to postpone the release again, in which case they should just exit the market already.

14. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    first of all it is an engineering sample, so please stop criticizing:3eyes:
    second of all it is still an "engineering sample" so please stop hyping :nerd:
    until there is an actual product in Hilbert hands with a proper AM4 MOBO, some real world numbers to a consumer product, i will keep my fingers crossed,
    and as always and most of all, as a user my loyalty to my pocket, if AMD is actually back and relevant again we will all benefit, higher performance and lower prices:) isn't this essentially what it's all about:infinity:

15. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

You are complaining that you don't want the car because the prtotype doesn't have side mirrors and is with strange paint.Untill someone actually try for real to overclock the second batch of ES there is nothing to talk about.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think everybody here is forgetting we are talking about an eight core chip! Of course is going to clock lower than a four core chip... Unless someone is expecting some kind of miracle from AMD or GloFo...

And like gianluca wrote, Intel´s eight core chip doesn´t clock much higher and it´s a 140W chip!...

I don´t know about others, but i´m really excited about Zen and if they perform well and are well priced i´m going to get one.

17. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    This is so effing insane and cannot wait until Zen comes out! Go go AMD!

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If you expect these to be close to 4 GHz at launch you are delusional and tooth fairy is real.

I hope that the process manages mature when they launch Zen+.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Meanwhile Intel is preparing quad-core 7600/7700k to compete with Zen, what a joke.

We dont want another quad-core CPU's for 400€ Intel.

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I would not say it's a joke, it is more or less wait for AMD to make a move and drop price if they have to.

Look how long it's been since AMD has had anything news or note worthy in the CPU segment to compete with Intel.

That and while 8 cores are cool, most real world users are still struggling to use 4 cores with HT.

So there you have it unless more games take advantage of this idea.

That all being said, I'm really happy to see AMD do something with their CPU's. It's needed, I kinda miss the old Athlon 64 X2 days etc.

Even when AMD does put out the Zen chips, current Intel users won't have to budge.

It will however give people upgrading and current AMD users something to think about for sure.