ASRock Z77 Extreme4 not recognizing XMP settings

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Kruse, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Kruse

Kruse Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    This is an issue that I encountered several months ago and I still have no found a solution.

Basically, the BIOS doesn't display XMP setting options despite the RAM (G.Skill Sniper 1866) having the feature and it working in the past.

I've tried several things including CMOS resets, reinstalling BIOS, completely new sets of RAM, etc.

Does anyone have any insight to or advice regarding this issue?

2. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Sometimes motherboards won't recognize XMP settings. You will have to manually set the speed, timings and voltage. I have the same motherboard and it didn't recognize my XMP either. Also are you sure you listed the correct CPU for your motherboard in you specs? A 4770k isn't compatible with a Z77.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. Kruse

Kruse Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    Whoops, I typed it in wrong. It's a 3770k.

Funny thing is, it did recognize it at one point. Also, if I set things manually, I can't change the speed above 1600 despite the RAM being 1866.

4. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

5. Kruse

Kruse Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    I have switched slots. The only thing I haven't tried is swapping the entire mobo.

I see your screenshots display the XMP profiles--I don't see those any longer.

6. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Sorry I don't know what else to trouble shoot with it. Could just be the RAM slots going bad IDK. Either way at least you can use the RAM right now even if it isn't registering the xmp. I wouldn't buy any new hardware right now unless you are looking to upgrade. I haven't upgraded in a while because I have no need to; this does everything I need for right now.

7. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    If you were overclocking the RAM then you may have a corrupted CMOS (and potentially the BIOS).

You should clear CMOS first to see if the settings come back.

If that fails then I would re-flash your BIOS (or update to the latest).

8. Kruse

Kruse Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    I never ran the RAM beyond what it was already rated (1866). One of the first things I tried was clearing the CMON and reflashing the BIOS. No luck there.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  9. Kruse

Kruse Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    I do have an extra mobo that is exactly the same as this one from a friend who upgraded--I just haven't tried swapping it because that's just a pain in the ass.

I do want to give the CPU a bit of an overclock one of these days. Any tips or guides for this mobo? I feel like a bit of a noob when it comes to that. Out of all things I've done with computers, I never really go for overclocks.

10. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-with-ln2-guide-at-the-end

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/...-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Here is a good guide, you might have already seen it with a quick Google search. The second link has pics with a guide for an Asrock board.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are my overclock settings. This is a very lazy way to do it as it is all on auto, but it works for me. Temp max is about 75 C with a Corsair H70.
    Also make sure you have a good aftermarket cooler, I'm sure you already knew that.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I guess you didn't realise that you can take a screenshot of the Asrock bios by pressing F12? :). All you need is a USB stick formatted to FAT32 to save on.

Even with XMP, you might need to set the DRAM voltage manually. It might be 1.65 V RAM (which is fine for these systems), but on Auto it could be setting it to something lower. This would just mean XMP will fail like is being experienced.

12. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Thanks for telling me, I've never had to take a screenshot of my bios before.

13. Kruse

Kruse Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    In my situation, this RAM is rated at 1.5v at 1866 and it runs at that voltage by default. Nothing is failing--the mobo/bios is simply not displaying all of the settings. I can change all the timing settings but I can't alter clock speeds above 1600.