EVGA FTW 1080 and 1070 Have Overheating Issues

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There is chatter on the web that EVGA FTW 1080 and 1070 graphics card are overheating resulting into a black screen. Initially people figured this to be the memory issue exposed last week. The compan...

EVGA FTW 1080 and 1070 Have Overheating Issues

2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Strange still there are no comments from AMD-hysteric-fanboys crying how Nvidia is at fault here, or how "again" Nvidia ruined their cards\PCs\lives.

Regardless it is not good when card manufacturers skip the usage of 1cent thermal pads... (manufacturers, not Nvidia.... AMD-fanboys, I note this specifically for you as your precious AMD-cards may also be affected one day)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  3. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yeah seems a bit stupid really, it's like yeah we know people like their cards to run cooler so we will ship cards that run hotter. (ehh ?) or until people moan then we will ship some pads. okie dokie lol

so if they know people like stuff to run cooler why didn't they fit them in first place lol ... hmmm

the R9 390x is a good example of how cooling can be done, with the gpu being an ex-nuke reactor I have to say MSI do a very good job.

4. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Yeah, but it appeared an NVIDIA FANBOY/troll, trying to start flamewar for no reason.

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Amazing how people feel the need to instigate rivalry or even hate... Come on man... was it even necessary to say stuff like that?

A problem has been found that customers aren't happy with, EVGA have responded to that problem, given a statement that the cards are operating within spec but offered customers an option to put customer's mind's at ease with a simple solution.

6. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    who cares if have some problems, it selling good and revenue skyrocking

7. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Fan boys ay. Nothing changes.... pathetic...

8. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    Ok, I will bite:

"EVGA has promptly re-titled their EVGA FTW 1080/1070 line to EVGA FTL 1080/1070..."

9. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    :puke2:

Now to dignify this with an actual response: Probably because this is EVGA specifically and not something nVidia did.

10. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    I was on the fence about buying one of the EVGA FTW models of the 1080 since I read the review of the 1070 on here and saw how hot it was getting in those images. Kind of glad I did now.

11. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    well I disagree, Nvidia may not be directly to blame, but they have been tremendously aggressive with their GPU lifecycles lately. this could be having adverse affects on quality control from the vendors. reminds me of Samsung's issue with their phones lately...

12. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Thing is for company's like EVGA these pads should of been fitted from the start simply because people like more of a premium built card, and it stops stupid bad press for their company name, if your going to do it, you might as well do it right the first time, rather than faff about.

like EVGA say it's with in spec, but they should know having a bigger margin between the spec will always be favoured, even more so for those who overclock.

and its probs when the card is overclocked it at risk of being well out of spec so these pads should of been worth fitting from day 0 just to keep the masses happy.

surly happy customer is worth the little extra cost, they pass the cost on to the consumer anyway, if they only cost few cents then well, what can ya say....

13. rsouzadk

rsouzadk Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    It is Furmark and in extremely heavy conditions. Like, no games today can even achieve that stress enough on graphic cards. Besides that, i believe EVGA give 3 years warranty for their products.

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I wonder if the card warranty is lost if people order the free thermal pads and remove the backplate and heatsink to install them. After all, they have tampered with the card at that point, which technically should serve as a justification for voiding the warranty.

15. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Yes, it was. It was an honest surprise and a preemptive measure against AMD fanboys.
    Did you see the Thread regarding 1070 RAM issues? It got totally ruined and f***** by Nvidia-haters.

16. BahamutxD

BahamutxD Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4070Ti
    The card is known to be faulty without checking it physically. Shouldn't be a problem.

17. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    gonna test my card with furmark now just to see how hot my card gets lol max I've seen under Metro last light benchmark at 1080p, DX11, Tesselation high, motion blur normal, ssaa enabled, quality very high, AF x16

closed PC case, room temp 24c

after 10 runs of metro ll

GPU max 79c
    VRM 1 max 72c
    VRM 2 max 46c

after 5 runs of furmark, version 1.18.1.0, preset 1080 (FHD)
    GPU max 83c
    VRM 1 max 81c
    VRM 2 Max 46c

monitored with gpu-z 1.12.0
    :O

oh forgot to add when running metro LL GPU stuck at a solid 1080mhz and didn't not move, with furmark the gpu was being throttled between 938mhz and 1000mhz ...

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You act like NVidia users don't do the same **** in every AMD thread.... Seems like every AMD thread I go into, whether it's about GPUs or not, has instances of NVidia users attacking AMD.

19. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    EVGA was crap anyway :p

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Agreed...