Need help installing W7 onto my new Skylake board / MBR vs GPT rubbish

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Brogan, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Ok, I'm trying to install windows 7 x64 onto an ssd via a usb drive packaged with Gigabyte's USB drivers for the Intel 100 motherboards. I am able to boot with the drive into the Windows install process, however, when I go to select my partitioned disk and hit next to begin copying files, I cannot because it displays this error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

Now, I specifically partitioned the disk using Shift F10 and Diskpart because I do not want the 100 MB System Reserved partition for Bitlocker (or whatever). Sevenforums.com says if you do not want this partition, you need to have a fully partitioned disk to start the install on. (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html) And I can vouch for this as I've done it multiple times over the years re-installing Windows 7 (when installing from the dvd). But it's not working here.

AND if you go back into Diskpart and try to convert to GPT, you first have to wipe the drive with the 'clean' command, which results in an unallocated disk to install onto, and your back where you started, with the 100 MB System Reserved partition.

Can somebody please help me out of this endless maze? I don't even know if the Gigabyte drivers will work yet as I've still not even gotten into windows mode, ....and I just...want...to...start...playing BF1....

edit: the new hardware I am installing to is an i7 6700 cpu, and Gigabyte GA-Z170x- UD3 board with 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM. Rest same as in sig.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Try compatibility support module.

3. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Not sure where to find that.

4. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Here's the problem: When I go into Diskpart and select the ssd and type convert gpt, it says it cannot, and so I type 'clean' first, then try it. That works - successfully converted to GPT disk. However, that results in an unallocated disk, which presents the original problem. So after typing convert gpt, I then type 'create part primary', and then 'format fs=ntfs quick', and finally, ' assign', then go back and refresh the disk in the prompt, the error at the bottom is no longer displayed (and the accompanying popup). But when I hit Next, it gives me:

"Setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information "

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Compatibility support module should be in your BIOS/UEFI somewhere. Also, how small is your SSD that having a 100MB hidden partition makes THIS much of a difference? Honestly, I used to worry too much about the same kind of little stuff but I just worry about bigger stuff now.

Just install it the normal way and enjoy yourself in BF1! That hidden 100MB or less won't impact the game. :)

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Your computer is UEFI, EFI was the precursor to it. Anyways, ideally with modern systems it is designed for Windows 10 in mind, you boot straight with UEFI without using compatibility mode. Basically this means booting natively to 64-bit. Even though your new computer is UEFI, it allows the emulation of bios to boot in the old bios method and through to MBR. You can't really be upset too much by this, because your current computer is UEFI as well!

You don't really want to set the disk up in MBR only mode. If you upgrade to Windows 10 later, and regardless of what you may think now you probably will, ideally you want it in GPT.

If you boot Windows setup in UEFI, you have to install to GPT. If you boot Windows setup in bios mode, you can only install to MBR. In UEFI mode, all you need to do is copy the Windows files to the USB drive and it will boot (nice, hey!). For bios boot mode, you have to do set the installation media up the 'old fashioned' way.

Now, back to the disk you are installing to. You set it up as MBR. You need to run clean on the SSD, run 'convert to GPT', and go from there. I would strongly recommend against setting the partitions up manually, just let Windows setup do it.

Just keep in mind that you probably won't be able to get the most out of your new system with Windows 7.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  7. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    Get a bootable iso of Paragon Partition Manager. You can convert to GPT and then partition the disk.

8. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    If you boot using UEFI, using a FAT32 partition, Windows thinks its going to be installed into a GPT partition, resulting in excess unwanted partitions.

Use legacy USB boot (non-UEFI) option in motherboard, that should put it into MBR mode.

Also, when you get a new hard drive with complete unallocated space, it usually is MBR.

9. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I totally get what you're talking about, and normally I would see the wisdom of applying that philosophy here....... if only it wasn't causing such a white hot ball of pure rage inside of me at the stupidity of the situation.

First off, I agree, I don't want to set up in MBR only mode - in fact I don't care at all what mode the disk is, so long as I can set it up the way I've been doing it for the past 6-7 years. And if I do eventually decide (or am forced) to get W10, I will definitely not be doing it via upgrade; fresh install without a doubt. So the ease of that transition is not a factor for me.

Now, when I do as you say, and convert to GPT, yes it will let me install to the disk, but then I will get the useless 100mb partition that contains my boot files, and I cant remove. I do not want that. I don't understand why I now HAVE to do it that way, when I never did before using this same exact process. And why the system doesn't even give a good reason why it won't work, simply, "Setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system partition."

I mean, what does that even mean?

10. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I've spent the last 22 hours trying to do that (set non-UEFI) with this BIOS. I cannot figure out how to boot from the USB drive without it being in EFI mode. The boot order screen let's me select the Generic usb drive as an option, but when I try it, I get no boot manager, or no OS found errors.

I have the latest bios for the board (F6). I can set the disk to either MBR or GPT via Diskpart, but if I set primary partition, it will not install.

11. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Would that work within Windows 7 install process? Meaning, once configured, wouldn't it still be subject to the errors I'm getting now when I try to hit the Next button on the first screen?

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    IIRC, booting in UEFI mode requires that separate boot partition with UEFI boot files. Windows 7 is UEFI aware but not fully compatible with all features. Secure boot should be disabled and compatibility support module should be enabled.

13. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I generally use Rufus to get isos ready for my usb while formatting. Rufus gives me two options, a UEFI and non-UEFI. To be safe, just go with an NTFS partition, since GPT installation will never work from an NTFS partition.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Windows 7 can't be installed in UEFI mode without a modded Win 7 ISO afaik

Try 8.x/10 or google how to mod 7 for UEFI

16. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Well, apparently I'm the only one who knows how to do this, and because I was getting nowhere, I actually just did it via the windows7 dvd method. Took out the USB drive, put the disc back in, changed nothing in the BIOS settings.... formatted and partitioned it in Diskpart, refreshed the prompt and installed the OS with no issue, no MBR or GPT nonsense... using the method I have for years. No 100mb boot partition, no problem.

Well, except the same problem everyone using W7 on an Intel 100 chipset has..... none of my usb ports work on the desktop.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have installed Win7 in UEFI mode from DVD. I just selected "UEFI ... DVD ..." in boot menu (in BIOS). And installer (booted itself in UEFI) did all the job in partitioning (and installing) for UEFI mode.

18. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yup, which is what I did as well.

19. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Hmmm........... Dammit, how the **** am I gonna get that driver?

[​IMG]

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Probably won't be able to. There's very little (well, none/no) incentive for companies to support new hardware on Windows 7. This includes businesses etc, since I am referring to the latest features and not continuing support for existing features.

By using the DVD etc, you are installed in MBR mode which is supported via a legacy module 'emulator' in a sense, in the UEFI bios.