AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB and 470 4GB 10 bucks cheaper

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Upcoming week the GeForce GTX 1070 and 1070 Ti will become available. Dont you mean 1050 and 1050ti, eh HH? :p

Anyway, price drops are always nice. More options the better.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  4. demented brave

demented brave Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090

5. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Anyone else having fan issues on 470 ? Mine randomly spins the fans to 100% and keeps it that way. Launching afterburner seems to return things back to normal, however I have no idea why, as I didn't do anything in it, no overcloking, no custom settings, everything defeault. Running the latest crimson driver...

6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    The fans on my Sapphire Nitro work perfectly. I made custom settings in Wattman for a minimum speed of 1200 and a max of 2500. I set the temp to max 85 and target 75. The card barely hits 60C in Forza: Horizon 3 and the fan speed never goes over 62%. It actually runs hotter in World of Warcraft where it gets up to 70C. I don't use Afterburner or anything but the Crimson drivers.

7. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    10 bucks cheaper for 3x the troubles. there is a lot , I mean a huge lot of un-noticed gamers with dead amd cards, you know they boot into windows with a default driver but try to load any amd driver and the cards black screen..crickets and chirps is all we hear..

If you buy AMD at the moment your an idiot.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You have 290X in you specs. I guess that explans your post. :D

9. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    well spotted :)

in the cupboard with the 260x, the 280x works well Tahiti maybe that's why the other two are Hawai with elpida the 280x has Hynix... anyways waffling

but, well picked up and why I may be slightly anti AMD at present that 500 odd dollar brick's hurting my feelings.

10. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    I also consider it rather timely they introduce a new GPU and then release drivers that broke thousands of cards, if they think i'll buy the 4 series as a replacement they are stupid to boot.

There 4 series are rubbish anyways.

intel nvidia for me next, AMD are on the way out. Respect is hard won and easily lost.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    3x the troubles? When are these "troubles" going to show up? I've been using AMD cards on and off for the last 15 years and none of these "troubles" have shown up yet.....so how much longer do I have to wait for them?

Got any actual proof of all these claimed failures?

Last week I switched from an MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G to an XFX Radeon RX 470 RS Triple X. The RX 470 may be slower in benchmarks, but so far the few games I play (BF4, MoH 2010, TL2, SimCity 2K and SimCity) are all smoother and have fewer glitches.

The 4 series is far from being "rubbish"... From what I've seen over the last few days, it's the best series released since AMD bought out ATI.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Not sure there,I upgraded my girlfriend PC to Sapphire RX 480 8GB after her(or rather mine) GTX970 went to RMA and she needed GPU

No issues with drivers,we are tried few games and everything works for her and she is happy right now

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    jerk off

https://community.amd.com/message/2755808#comment-2755808

34 pages for you to read.., just because your so great and your system so cool doesn't mean I talk from my brown eye.

A google search of AMD, black screen, would have shut that comment up before you wrote it but meh, to lazy, to quick to slag someone off.

*edited was harsh with you, having a bad day..i keep looking at that 290x and wanting to insert it up some AMD engineer or drivers engineers butt hole.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    teen? Hardly. I've been building computers for 22 years.

So, again I'll ask. Do you have any actual proof of all these claimed failures due to drivers? I mean, we can go over to the NVidia forums and find where previous NVidia drivers have prevented fans from spinning up resulting in damaged cards.

On the page you linked to, 1 user admits that his card was faulty prior to installing the drivers. At least 1 user probably has malware since he claims the crimson software immediately corrupts after install. That's generally a sign of malware being present on the system or faulty RAM or HDD. One is running Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, which has it's own stability issues. 1 admits to running IGP + dGPU....which causes it's own issues and says it's not possible to disable the iGPU in bios on a Z77 motherboard because it supports Lucid Virtu (even though it is possible unless he's running a pre-built system which in that case nothing he posts is relevant anyway). If he's dumb enough to even have Virtu installed while updating graphics drivers (or in Windows10 in general), he shouldn't be using a computer. He is apparently even dumb enough to think Virtu has anything to do with the motherboard so it wouldn't surprise me. From the posts I've read, it seems to be more user error and/or ignorance than anything else. Hell, one guy even admits that his graphics card failed to function in another computer, yet is blaming the driver for it not functioning in his own.

15. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    living proof right here mate and sorry for the disrespect, AMD drivers 16.9.1 killed my 290 read the article my names there all over it along with many others, I've posted one, there's also an Asian website with some attempts at fixes, really if you hadn't heard of the issue it's probably only because you haven't experienced it.

I'm a retired PC engineer bit out of touch these days, but still know how to do all the bread and butter stuff, I worked on it for two weeks and still can't get the card back up running drivers, never seen anything like it, and witnessed the crash myself with my own eyes, card horribly overclocked as soon as the new driver loaded and it turned off. Never worked again.

Now mine was ONLY a 290 imagine buying a 480, one guy returned 2 both did same thing same fault. Who's to blame, Microsoft or AMD, amd's wattman misfunctioned, but was that due to something Microsoft changed, all the while thousands upon THOUSANDS, just believe me or i'll link all the posts here.

one was 127 pages long before being removed by amds forum mods.,..

16. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    Like I said I am an engineer, I reverted to a fresh install image I created and loaded the crimson driver in question from the crimson package and recreated the fault everytime.

Load windows 10, update it past anniversary at that time 1607 update was fresh then load crimson package card overclocks, overvolts and PC turns off then boots again. Anyone who's fixed as many PC's as you or I have certainly know when the card is going to fast a refresh rate for the monitor or that symptom being of an overclocked or volted card. I mean who knows what wattman did to the cards settings.

Then I broke it down to individual packages within crimson it became clear radeon settings within was the culprit, that and leads i found in google gave me a few hints wattman may be the cause.

So installing driver from INF file through device manager the problem was not present.I repeat NOT present.

It was the crimson package and I offered my solution. I did not reply to some of the obvious idiots there you quickly refered to, but this again does not make me full of ****.

carry on your determined to make me out a liar go for it..

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You won't find anything different on the NVidia forums. They have their fair share of issues as well. I use cards from both. This is actually the first time in years that I haven't had a system with an NVidia card installed in it. I even use Intel's iGP. As of right now, I have 2 systems running Intel's iGP, and 3 running AMD GPUs. All 3 experience the "black screen of death" at some point. From what I've seen and experienced, it's usually a software conflict.

Wattman can only cause problems if you enable it.

18. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    If you loaded the drivers from the inf file alone your card should have worked fine, but lots say it didn't work for them and I could not understand why. Some of those cards I suspect were weak and then damaged..It's the only thing I could think of, and by the way did you read later driver release notes?

at the end of the day it's the silence on the issue and the denial from even people like you believing us or that a driver could physically damage a card, that's left people without a gpu for a while now.

19. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    was it enabling itself? for me I used trixx so it was a shock that just the installing the crimnson package caused an issue when I've loaded them exactly the same hundreds of times.

remove wattman from even installing no issue.., had to be wattman.

radeon settings was the only thing I unticked from the package to even be sure in the end as i was so shocked, and it worked..

like I say amd trouble at the moment wait for a few driver revisions it's a lottery and people are coming back from shops and still it happens..

AMD black screen.. check it out on google.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't believe a driver could damage a card?

I have several friends that experienced THAT gem of a driver from NVidia....