Graphical Equalizer or Not?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ElectronSpider, Oct 23, 2016.

1. I am no sound engineer, but was wondering if using a graphical equalizer will hurt the audio quality? I ask because the music sounds much "richer" when using the graphical equalizer. Note, I am not talking about any type of boosts such as bass boost, which tend to make music muddy.

For example, if I am listening to an audio cd and change the graphical equalizer preset to that genre of music, such as Metal. I have only tested with Windows Media Player graphical equalizer (I'll try VLC player's EQ as well) and at least subjectively the sound "resolution" between different instruments and vocals seems higher, clearer.

I know that the music has already been mixed by a sound engineer to achieve a optimal sound experience, but the audio sound even better to me when using a graphical equalizer as well.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Hurt audio quality on hardware level? No.

Hurt audio quality of the sound you hear? Well, as far as you enjoying it and it sound good to you, that all what matters.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Pretty sure all that does is the same as moving the sliders for bass > treble yourself, but as saved presets

4. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I don't know enough myself, although with digital audio I will ask, wouldn't an good/half decent software EQ do a good job as it all being done digitally before it hits the speakers?

I don't know so anyone ?

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Personally I prefer flat EQ for any music,if you have good sound card and good headphones or speakers plus good quality of music then using any EQ is just crime against any music

If its hurt quality of music,yes if its not done properly or if you have not the best sound card plus headphones/speakers

For some music I prefer listen music on Stax headphones,some music on Audio Technica and some music I prefer listen on speakers(this is very rare)

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In analog era we did use this guy
    [​IMG]

Nostalgia...

7. After trying another Metal album by NightWish, Endless Forms Most Beautiful, turning off the graphic equalizer sounds the best to me.

I found an article via search titled "Should I Use a Graphic Equalizer While Listening to Music" and they said only in rare cases where some lower tones are getting absorbed by the environment (carpet, curtains, etc.). The article recommend in those rare cases to cut the frequency never boost the frequency as it can add distortion. Thanks everyone for your responses, which I was ignorant on graphic equalizers.

BTW, I am using a Darkiron N8 Headset, they have 50mm drivers, frequency response 20Hz-20kHz, and sensitivity:107dB±3dB . The headset sounds, feels, and looks really good to me for the price.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If you aren't using high end equipment, use whatever sounds the best to your ears.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Louder music also "sounds better".

Think about that when adjusting EQ.
    So you should at least normalize loudness when picking the winner.

10. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one

so a EQ is only worth using when creating music ? like you can use EQ to filter out feed back on recording studio/ live performance etc.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016