Firefox vram Usage

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jonaand, Oct 23, 2016.

1. jonaand

jonaand Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    Hello
    in windows 10 64bit
    with gtx 1080 and last driver nvidia

firefox with 22 tab open in same window

Vram usage get 1gb
    because down 1gb everytime close firefox
    i always check with techpowerup gpu

is normal firefox use 1gb vram?

2. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Opening 22 random tabs used 808MB here, then after the pages loaded completely it lowered to 614MB. Closing Firefox leaves 224MB used by other software and restoring session brings VRAM usage to 415MB. I'm guessing it's normal behavior with HW acceleration enabled.

Windows 10, 375.57, Firefox 50.0b9 e10s enabled 4 addons all multi-process certified

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Firefox can get to 1GB RAM system RAM usage fairly easily, closing tabs doesn't always recovery the memory and it begins to get laggy

But vRAM shouldn't be an issue?

4. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Modern browsers are using GPU acceleration for page rendering which means that the pages rendered are actually stored in the VRAM.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    With ~100 tabs in Vivaldi (Chrome fork) I hit 1600mb+ on the VRAM. This is due to GPU acceleration (hardware acceleration), and the more free VRAM you have the more it will use. Same logic as RAM.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

not sure if a 1080 can handle that advanced gui, might wanna dowgrade to win98.

-Tj- likes this.
  8. jonaand

jonaand Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    i've disabled hardware acceleration in firefox and Vram use down
    but youtube video look tearing without hardware acceleration

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yes. this is progress. things that look better, require more resources.

is there a reason you need that VRAM while browsing?do you leave firefox open while gaming and miss the 1gb vram to max out some game?

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I leave FF/CF open alot when I in games then again FF/CF only use maybe 80mb vram and 250mb of system ram.

IF one is losing 1gb vram with it open they have to many tabs open, which would be normal for having 22 tabs open..

11. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Might be better off doing your...Whatever the hell it is you do on an old Windows 95 machine. That screenshot makes any competent person, :puke2:

12. jonaand

jonaand Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    i've changed firefox by waterfox
    and waterfox use less vram

13. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    You know there's this thing called memory management where it's very likely that the memory that's getting used by the browser will get evicted if there's pressure from another program like a game.

This is likely a non-issue so stop worrying about it. Let me know when it starts causing problems for other programs that are running.

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Unless I'm mistaken, when you run games in full screen exclusive mode, Fire Fox being open doesn't use any VRAM. It will of course still use some system memory. I don't really get what the issue is. Fire Fox uses about 800MB Vram for me at 4K.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    There is no issue, tbh this sounds like a Litwicki22 thread, but even so, with 8GB vRAM.... why even care?

Or if you're that stressed, close FF before gaming

Agonist likes this.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Background app VRAM usage will be unloaded if a foreground app will require more VRAM than is currently available. This is a non-issue completely, in exclusive or non-exclusive fullscreen. And the OP has GTX1080 with 8GBs. It's kinda pointless to even worry about this on an 8GB card. There are no games which will consume 8GBs of VRAM even in 4K with MSAA.

17. Xan01

Xan01 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6 GB
    I don't know if this supposed VRAM unloading would be new to Windows 8/10, but on Windows 7 x64, it can be a real issue. Case in point, on my 6 GB 1060 the new Wolfenstein II uses about 5.3-5.4 GB VRAM@1080p, everything maxed and image streaming on Ultra (second highest setting, I assume the highest is meant for 8 GB cards). Firefox nowadays is a real VRAM hog, so it fills 700 MB of VRAM in a breeze, maxing out VRAM entirely. So keeping Firefox running in the background means severe stutter in this game, on settings that otherwise run perfectly fine. Dropping this image streaming setting by one notch gets rid of the stuttering again, as it reduces the game's VRAM usage.

Disabling HW acceleration in Firefox is a solution, but this does introduce tearing in videos.

18. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    I believe Windows 10 Upgrade is still free till 12/31/17. Might be a good time to upgrade.

19. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    706mb vram with 11 open tabs at the moment I write this post

Firefox 56.0.2
    Win10x64 1709

20. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I often leave the browser window (currently Firefox because Chrome got worse and worse through the last few updates for me) on my secondary display while playing a game on the high-res main display.
    Can the driver still "swap" the VRAM content (at least from background tabs inside the browser)?

I didn't observe such thing. I see the extra overall VRAM usage (brought in by FF) persisting while gaming (if FF left open) and it went pretty close to 8Gb at some point (with the game running in 4k).
    Although, I am aware that this VRAM utilization (as shown by Windows or AfterBurner) should not be treated as an exact measurement but rather informational only, so the real utilization might be more or less...

By the way, having ~10 tabs open seems to increase my VRAM usage by ~2 Gb (yes, you read that correctly!). I noticed this and wasn't happy but my overall user experience is still better than it was with Chrome lately.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017