HD 6000 Legacy Driver (Is there a way to get some improvements from new drivers?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by traxformania, Oct 22, 2016.

1. traxformania

traxformania Guest

GPU:
    2x Asus Hd6970DirectCuII

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    If you download the latest drivers and extract the AppProfiles folder located packages/apps directory, and run the msi within, it should install the latest blb file which contain the newer crossfire profiles.

no idea if it will help or hinder since its made for the newer driver branches, could give it a try though.

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Interesting as I am personally still on 15.6 or 15.7 as those are the best drivers for my gaming usage that I've found. I would need to try this along with Radeon Pro settings.

4. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    Too bad with FLEM modding doesn't work.

5. Scure

Scure Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870 1GB
    No one makes modded drivers anymore? Sad to see that AMD making these cards outdated with no support... I tried Battlefield 1 beta with my HD6870 and worked fine at HD resolution, medium preset, but i had some graphics bugs...
    Nothing is wrong with it, i will just buy an nvidia card next time.

6. traxformania

traxformania Guest

GPU:
    2x Asus Hd6970DirectCuII

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    So you want to switch over to a company who will intentionally downgrade legacy card performance to create an artificial performance curve with their latest offerings?

The fact that your old cards were useful this long should be a testament as to why you should stay with AMD. My 5870M is 5 yrs old and still is quite useful. And you want to blame AMD for focusing on GCN and bringing into the PC drivers some of the performance they can achieve with console components? I guess not everyone can be satisfied.

And the best part is that AMD is offering you great cards to upgrade to at affordable pricing vs NVIDIGOUGE.

8. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    AMD's driver support is just really short. DX9 gen had its last driver in 2010 (Vista only), DX10 gen had its last driver in 2013 (Win8 only) and HD 5000/6000 ended in january this year.

Nvidia's cards might not age as well as AMD's does right now, but at least you know that Nvidia's cards will still be supported years from now

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

I wouldn't blame amd for the graphical bugs, unfortunately due to the current practices of nvidia and amd, alot of game devs don't finish their games, they ship out buggy code, and then nvidia and amd fix the issues by intercepting the bug and fixing it for them in the driver for dx11 and opengl, there really shouldn't be anything known as "game profiles (non-crossfire)" or "game specific" renderpaths.

Its really a shame that standards and best practices are not adhered to.
    If everyone did. issues like unsupported hardware having render bugs would be a very rare issue.

This is the root of the problem.

I wouldn't exactly call 2002-2010(dx9) "short" considering nvidia abandoned their fx 5000 dx9 series in 2006 (not that i blame them it was ugly)

just to clarify we have:
    dx9
    r300 based gpus supported from 2002-2010 8years~
    nv30 based 2003-2006 3years~
    NV40 based from 2004-2012(actual support) 8years~ (security patches 2015)

dx10
    r600/r700 2007-2013 6years~ (security patches/ win 10 support 2015)
    g80 based 2007-2014 (actual support) 7years~ (security patches 2016)

dx11 cypress based (2009-2016) 7years (ongoing undocumented patches as of 2016 august)

this is a rough list of how modern gpus have been supported to current

of course this isn't the full story since there are short ends of the stick all over the place mainly the hd 6000 series , x1000 series hd 4000 series, gtx 200 series, fx 5000 series.

Overall support is surprisingly even despite the massive difference in funding between the 2 companies

you might get a extra year from nvidia thats about all you can ascertain and even then its on average.

It will be interesting to see what happens to fermi since its still part of the current gpu lineage of nvidia and its 6-7 years old, same for amd with the hd 7000 series.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  10. Scure

Scure Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870 1GB
    AMD started to be worse and nvidia better. Nvidia has Win10 drivers even for 8000 series. While AMD didn't even release a driver package for HD4000 series/Win 8.1...

I know about gameworks, but AMD started to make the same... Look at the new Deux Ex game, you are not able to disable PureHair which kills old hardware.

Yes, it's really nice, but these old DX11 cards are capable to run new games from both sides.

GTX460, BF1 performance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNKpTDcW1ls

Nvidia even released WDDM2.0 drivers for GTX400 series... though they lied about DX12 support.

Anyway, i know my hardware is old and i don't want to see magical performance increases. But if 1280x720 is enough for me and the hardware is strong enough for that, i want to see driver updates. It's a shame if i can't play a new game because of some minor graphics/performance/stability issues which could be fixed by a new driver.

Look at this guy with HD6970 CF build, it's maybe even faster than a totally new RX460 system, but he can't play games because of no driver support. Things changed, we are able to play with 5-6 years old hardware, so there should be a driver support.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Support for hardware, and improvements to drivers for said hardware are 2 very different things.

The complaint seems to be that AMD isn't optimizing their newer drivers for the 6K series cards but guess what. NVidia isn't doing it for their Fermi or Kepler cards either. Hell, based on my experience with the latest NVidia drivers, I'd venture to say that they're no longer optimizing for Maxwell either. NVidia and AMD don't do things much different from each other. Simply leaving a hardware ID in the driver does not equate to actually supporting a product. It just allows the driver to install for said product.

12. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Yes, but sometimes there's more to drivers than having performance optimizations for the latest games. Basic or Control Panel functions can get crippled with system updates and newer drivers that bring these fixes to all cards are needed to restore them.

Then there's also newer software wrote for newer drivers that can start giving you trouble, such as the text render bug in FF that stood for more than one year on AMD HD2-4K series back in 2012-13.

When driver development stopped for the HD2-4K cards at "12.5b" (the few legacy drivers that came after were based on that branch) they had lots of bugs still to solve related to daily desktop use. I hope 5-6K series are better on that matter.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's not in the best interest of AMD or NVidia to support products indefinitely, which seems to be what so many users want. Sure, HD6K can still run most games just fine, but from a financial standpoint it makes no sense at all for AMD to continue support for them. AMD doesn't make money from products sold years ago. They make money from products sold now. Supporting older products is a financial sink hole.

14. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Okay. So where's the support for Civilization VI? AMD cards are trailing by up to 30 FPS at times compared to their nvidia counterparts. Some rabid AMD fanboy got his knickers in a twist when I said AMD doesn't collaborate enough with the developers. But Civilization VI is an example of how AMD is a let down when it comes to providing customer support. Fermi, Keplers and Maxwell doesn't have artificial VSR limits, AMD's cards on the other hand has these so called scaler limits in place and has a rep bluffing us saying that HD 7970 and R9 280X aren't the same, it reached to the point Hilbert had to provide an input to say that they are one and the same. You enable VSync in an old game like Crysis or Crysis 2 and things still get double buffered till you manually switch to windowed mode then back to Fullscreen but there are games like Assassin's Creed II and others where this doesn't work and RadeonPRO is a hit or miss.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    they did actually, they released it via windows update.

As i stated, some products get the short end of the stick, mainly the last of dieing breeds are always the ones to get chucked "early", much like how the 6000 series is the end of the line of terascale cards, the gtx 200 series were the last of the tesla cards, the geforce7000 series for dx 9 cards ect. there will always be a short end.

Once nvidia and amd no longer sell a card of an architecture the cost of supporting it goes up considerably, since you have to maintain a mostly separate older driver path that will have fewer and fewer users.

If the cards are incremental improvements over the old ones, support is easier since most of the driver is the same ,the cost is minimal comparatively , this is the case for fermi thru pascal, and gcn1 to gcn 4.

When the time comes and gcn/ nvidia's fermi derivatives are superseded they will be left to rot whether its the gtx 400 series or the gtx 900 series, the entire lineage will be dropped (most likely), it is only natural.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The "Tesla" architecture, better known as GT200/GT200b, was used for the GF200 and GF300 series. The GF300 series was an "OEM only" product line. Fermi was an evolution of the Tesla architecture, as were Kepler and Maxwell. I'd venture to say Pascal is as well. NVidia hasn't really had a reason to develop an entirely new architecture yet. AMD can only push GCN so much each generation due to limited funding. They can't afford to take risks like NVidia can. At this point, NVidia could repeat the GF FX series with little damage....

17. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    OT: If you refer to the "special one-time" at W10 release (also available for 8.1), that's a driver-only 12.5b derivate without CCC (needed for CF cards as the 4850/70 x2) or OpenCL support as it misses an installer (or even a AMD HDMI Audio driver), with a Windows 7 named .inf in all of it's glory (unlike even the last W8 legacy driver packs). Except for the WU delivery convenience, it was almost the same as nothing (i.e., a device manager-only installation of the legacy 13.x). I guess @Scure was refering to this: the lack of a complete "package" for 8.1, as the older W8 CCC will throw .net errors on it, and miss features.

18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Nvidia did actually make Fermi support WDDM 2.1, so even though it seems they were bull****ting about DX12 for Fermi, there's still some work going on behind the scenes

Even Nvidia's DX10 products, and Intel Sandy Bridge as well actually, got WDDM 1.2 drivers whereas AMD's stopped at WDDM 1.1.

19. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    AMD lied, I have proof:

https://community.amd.com/thread/184720

The cards DO NOT meet Windows 10 hardware requirements and hence there will be no drivers available from AMD for those products. But OLD Nvidia cards can, and they use a newer wddm.

Nvidia makes they legacy users feel better and that is a great strategy on the long term. AMD gives great support for non legacy cards. They could put some more engineers to support legacy cards and the users would feel a lot better ("hey, AMD loves me, i'm totally buying a Radeon again!").

20. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    They said basically the same thing back when not releasing an official Windows 7 driver for their DX9 cards. Meanwhile, Nvidia's Geforce 6 series has official Windows 8.0 support.