Asus x99A-II

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Limits, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Limits

Limits Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX1070 OC
    Hi

I have a brand new x99a-II and I have a few question because I want to get it stable. No oc planned yet but probably in the future.

I want to flash the bios as quick as possible since the default bios is probably old (and buggy from what I heard). Should I install windows first, then flash? Which way is the way you use to flash? The ez USB flash at the back of the mobo by pressing the bios button or the software version? Do I need to rename the bios files? I know it's in the mobo manual but I have seen some inconsistencies in the manual so just wanted to check.

Lastly, I know the CPU installation tool is optional. Have anybody heard problems from using it? :)

Thanks, I want to make sure I don't do anything to cause instability.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Update bios first, within the bios.

3. Limits

Limits Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX1070 OC
    Thanks for the reply, so in the X99A-II manual, I take it as updating via USB by using the Asus EZ Flash Utility. Do we need to rename files though, or are the instructions provided in the bios update files. Because I don't see that in the update instructions section of the manual.

By the way, is there a difference to updating the bios before installing Windows? I heard others mention updating before Windows install so wanted to make sure what the differences are.

Thanks.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No you do not need to rename it for asus EZ flash.

No difference either way you decided when to update, but it's best for to do before install for stability improvements and whatnot.

5. Limits

Limits Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX1070 OC
    Hi again,

I have finished building this system a few months ago. Everything works fine.

Except I did not install the motherboard drivers (eg. I did not use the supplied disk nor go to Asus's website for this).

Here is a step by step of what I did in a nutshell:

I build the PC, installed Windows, installed Nvidia drivers from Nvidia's website, and installed wi-fi card drivers via the supplied disk. I left out the motherboard driver install.

After that, I installed the Asus Aura lighting software to control the motherboard lightings (not the drivers itself though).

Then I installed the programs that I use. And from here, I have used the new PC with absolutely no problems at all. Except I noticed since day 1 that device manager shows a bunch of unknown devices (probably because of not installing motherboard drivers).

My question, if I install the drivers for the motherboard now, will there be instabilities? Especially since I have already installed additional programs (one of them is even a program to control the motherboard lighting) and have also used the PC to do my projects for some time?

Secondly, if its OK to install the motherboard drivers, should I use the supplied disk or use the one on Asus's website?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No you will not have any stability issues from installing drivers.

Never use supplied CDs because they will have old drivers.
    Use website for the newer ones.

Caveat of that is that website drivers will not always be up to date either and will never be updated again on older motherboards.

Since that board is new, whatever they supply should be relatively new.

I'll post the exact drivers you'll need below

Intel management engine driver(one of the unknown devices)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/m556492qnahnnn0/Intel+MEI+Driver+Installer+v11.6.0.1039.rar

Intel SATA AHCI/raid drivers
    https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5014229b9e752333&id=5014229B9E752333!50485&authkey=!ACiL9bWHr4Nyc48

Intel chipset INF(not drivers but may get rid of unknown devices)
    https://mega.nz/#!RVEjVCjD!LiLltiiuKNE8Mw6Ia8kRBCy4IXRItcRicIqStbHgv9w

Intel gigabit Ethernet drivers
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...k-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=82186

Realtek audio drivers
    dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/Realtek_Audio_V7848_20160617.zip

Also make sure you are on latest bios 1401
    dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-A_II/X99-A-II-ASUS-1401.zip

7. Limits

Limits Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX1070 OC
    ...Yeah if only I did not miss out installing the motherboard drivers right after installing Windows, then I wouldn't be this worried. Haha. Anyways, I fear instabilities since I use this PC for my main projects. But with that cleared... Let me say thanks for the clarification and taking the time to recommend (and provide links) to drivers that I might need. I appreciate it. :D

A question, is it necessary to update the bios? I did it once when I booted my newly built PC for the first time. At that time, the latest was bios 1201 and I updated to that and have been on it since.

edit: A second question I want to ask. Since I have been using the PC for some time without installing the motherboard drivers, will that in some way, harm any of the hardware?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No harm can be done no.

You are worried about nothing, installing those drivers are not going to cause issues.

Keeping bios up-to-date is always a good idea because they contain bug fixes, stability improvements, etc.

9. Limits

Limits Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX1070 OC
    Thanks again for confirming.

By the way, I heard opinions that one should not flash the bios if there are no problems on the current one. I heard that flashing can have many risks and maybe risky even without power outages and whatnot. That's why I want to know is it ok to just install motherboard drivers without any bios update since I am on the second newest bios anyways.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017