Shadow Warrior 2 HDR dimmed Image.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Anyone got HDR working properly with this game? The Image gets dimmed when I enable HDR. Is It because HDR Is still not supported by windows 10?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    From the developer:

NVIDIA Multi-res Shading
    Supported only on 9xx and 10xx. Lowers resolution on screen borders. Use for increasing performance, at slight image quality hit.

Disabled - normal rendering
    Conservative - small image quality decrease and medium performance gains
    Aggressive - medium image quality decrease and high performance gains

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/shadow-warrior-2-nvidia-multi-res-shading

HDR Display
    Supported only on HDR compatible displays (currently only UHD TVs). Works only in exclusive full screen mode (set display mode to "full screen"). Allows for displaying wider range of colors and luminance ranges on those TVs.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-4k-hdr-what-does-it-mean-for-gamers

Resolution Scale Slider
    Allows to scale game's resolution, while keeping native UI resolution. If set to >100% it results in a super-sampled image.

3. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    I am using a UHD HDR capable TV and have no problems playing HDR movies they look beautiful. It's just this game that's not displaying HDR properly.
    Found this link but not sure how this Is related to the game.
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    How do you have your PC input on your TV set? If you have it in game mode, it probably won't work. Make sure it's set to PC mode, HDMI UHD Color is enabled and you have RGB 4:4:4 and full set in the Nvidia Control Panel. Which model 4K set do you have?

And....

Did you try raising the HDR brightness slider? Most people also report they set their gamma slider to 0.7

Another tip from the developer.

5. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    My Tv Is a Samsung 65JU7500 on Latest firmware,and have tried the Samsung HDR Wonderland demo It looks great.However for this game I tried all modes Including PC mode and the Image Is still too dim. I have UHD Color Enabled too.

Edit: Yep tried 0.7 gamma and raising HDR brightness It slightly Improves It but no where near as bright as when HDR Is disabled. When HDR Is disabled everything just looks more vibrant compared to when HDR Is on.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    While you might be able to watch some form of HDR video, your set is not listed as being HDR capable.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0TXZaxisbU

At ~ 3:30 or so they start discussing HDR, at 3:55 they show the settings they had to use in the NVCP to get it working correctly, something about HDMI bandwidth limits, they are running at 3840x2160 though and 12-bit color depth, had to drop color format to ybr420 though instead of ybr444.
    (Which I'm not sure how much of a issue that is but I guess it heavily depends on if the TV is HDMI 2.0 or older though I'd assume most HDR capable TV's would be new enough to support HDMI 2.0?)

(DisplayPort being more for computer monitors it seems and not so common for televisions?)

EDIT: Also not sure how Maxwell or Pascal are when it comes to supporting color depth, heard there were something about that at least on some earlier Nvidia GPU models or drivers?
    (I'll have to look that up.)

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be a issue outside of some professional software requiring quadro GPU models.
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...-bit-per-color-support-on-nvidia-geforce-gpus

Though Pascal seems to be the first GPU architecture from Nvidia to be "HDR-ready" but what that actually entails I'm not sure (12-bit depth for color?)
    http://techfrag.com/2016/05/23/nvidia-gtx-1080-hdr-ready-4k-streaming-via-playready-3-0/
    (EDIT: Doesn't seem to mean much, appears that Maxwell supports most of this outside of recording?)
    (Maxwell also appears to support HDMI2.0 as of more recent GPU's on that architecture so no issues there either.)

8. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    That's what I thought first but Samsung released a firmware update that adds HDR support to older models. When I play the an HDR video on my TV It's not "some form of HDR" It's a night and day difference compared to an SDR video.
    P.S even PS4 detects my set as an HDR TV. Even people with newer models and on xbox one are having the same Issue as me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/573w8g/is_screen_dimmingdarkening_normal_when_playing/

9. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    I did try ybr420 at 12bpc the Image Is still dimmed when HDR Is enabled.

10. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Solved: Just got my KS9500 and I can confirm that HDR content Is no longer dimmed like on the JU7500, It was a peak brightness Issue after all. Btw there a way to change the Output color depth on PC to 10bpc when RBG mode set to full In Nvidia Control Panel?

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes, on DisplayPort at least.

12. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    I can't get 10 bit to show In control panel only 8 bit when on HDMI.
    Will this work since I don't have a display port on my tv?
    https://amzn.com/B01B6ZOMIS
    Edit:
    Never mind got my answer:
    Source: AVS Forums.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That's interesting, probably explains why the Xbox One S uses 4:2:0 in HDR.

Ugh, I hope Scorpio and PS4P are capable of 4:4:4 with HDR on. The last thing we need is more regressions.

What's silly to me is that GPUs/hardware are all capable internally of doing all of this stuff. 4k60-10Bit 4:4:4. But the cables can't handle the signal bandwidth?

14. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    just a thought byt try a different hdmi cable some times they dont do as they are advertized....check amazon for a good hdmi2.0a

15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    they updates the game so you can raise the HDR brightness , i don't know if that helps , for me it works 90% except it caps to 30fps for some reason when i play 4k HDR , someone said 1080p HDR can allow 60fps

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, had to add that it's working on DP 1.2 in 2560x1600 for me, not 4K.

I find this whole situation rather sad tbh as right now it seems to be impossible to get proper HDR support in 4K unless a TV have DP 1.4 connection - which most TVs don't. What's even more important is the fact that HDMI 2.0a/b don't support dynamic HDR metadata which makes HDR considerably less usable in gaming applications. So right now all the TVs which are sold as HDR capable are actually "HDR Ready" like 720p HDTVs were, we'll move past their HDR support in a year probably.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016