Can you use VR with DP to HDMI adapter?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MegaFalloutFan, Oct 20, 2016.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Hi guys,
    Since there is no dedicated VR section, ill post here since I have GTX1080.

1. Do you need Active or Passive DP to HDMI adapter for 2160 x 1200?
    2. Will passive adapter add any input lag? (I know that active will)
    3. Will it work for VR?

P.S. I wonder why there is no dedicated VR section, can someone create one since VR is not niche any longer and im sure people will use it. :)

Thanks

2. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    If your using the HTC Vive I'd recommend converting your monitor instead to Display port or DVI (if you have that connection) and keeping the HDMI connection straight and dedicated for the Vive from the PC to the Link box. Thats what I did. My monitor has DP, HDMI and DVI so I got lucky to avoid the connection issues.

People where having issues with the display port convertors. Its a roll of the dice if you get it to work and sometimes the HMD will go to sleep and not wake up requiring a cold boot. You'd really have the best luck finding away to avoid convertors on the Vive.

Just little annoyances like that, but you can try it out of you want. I believe you need Active because the connection goes from the video card to a powered link box then the HMD uses HDMI. The link box doesn't convert anything it just a repeater, and powering unit for the HMD.

I don't know if it causes lag or not, you can always get both and try either one.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  3. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Sadly I cant convert my "monitor" since im using OLED TV as one and it only has HDMI 2.0a, I can use active DP to HDMI adapter but active add ;lag, thats guaranteed.
    I heard that DP and HDMI are compatible standards, so thats why passive adapter works.
    I really dont want to unplug my TV and plug HMD each time, my next GPU will have 2 HDMI ports for sure, I made a big mistake getting Galaxy AMP 1080 instead of ASUS strix

4. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Oh I see.

Are you getting a Vive or oculus?

For vive You should be fine. For oculus I don't really know.

Just a note if you use a converter on your T.V. you don't have to worry about lag in the vive. The duplicate image on your T.V. uses very little and doesn't reflect or effect the HMD in anyway. Of course that defeats having to switch back n forth which your trying to avoid. Just know that if you run into issues using a converter on the link box that may be your only option.

For oculus I don't really know as I only have the vive.

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Im interested in Oculus for number of reasons: Im an old time gamer and I trust Thumb-stick movement, Oculus Touch has Thumb Sticks, They have big money backing and invest in exclusives, thats the only way to create AAA VR games right now (the VR market is tiny).

I cant connect my TV using adapter, because ill have to use Active adapter (I have 4K TV), it adds input lag, so its fine for day to day but not playing games (regular non VR games)