Fury or Wait?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DerSchniffles, Oct 19, 2016.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    This is just an idea I am throwing around, but I am done with multi gpu for now. I figure I could sell both cards plus some extra money and get a single card that is faster than both cards I have. I am just so frustrated with xfire, I just do not want to deal with it anymore. I need to do something and something soon.

I was thinking a Fury simply because you can pick one up for around $310 but I am not sure if I should just wait for the next AMD cards. The 1070 is too expensive for me right now and who knows when AMD will even announce anything.

What say you guru's? Do you think I should hold off, or just grab a Fury? Will 4gb of vram be enough for the next year?

I would like to try and stay around $300 so it would seem a Fury is the sweet spot.

2. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Well I am impatient and found a Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury for $289. I did the free shipping so it will be here next week. I am excited!

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Like me you'll be not dissapointed at all :banana:

You need to remember, that Fury is for 1440p/4k Gaming :)
    If game is a optimisation Failure -> Custom settings and 100% it will be Playable.

Grats BTW -> Great Choice, now sell off 380 and Wait for Zen :nerd:

Im still on my Poor Old PhenomII x6 4Ghz, but on 1920:1440 My fury really Rocks.
    I like what i see in AC:Syndicate with AA and All Ultra 50-60FPS on 950/570 tMOD !

1050/570 is for 1440p/4k
    950-1000/570 is good for Lower resolutions
    48deg.cels. is an Max for this Monster

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  4. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Yeah, fury was too expensive for me too, so I'm happy with my current card.
    Good choice nevertheless.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Hope it unlocks for you!

6. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Me too! But I am not counting on it, I am just excited to have great performance all the time instead of 1/3rd of the time.

I wonder what the unlock success rate is. When I had 2x 6950's, 1 unlocked to a 6970 and the other did not.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would probably go for something like Nitro+ RX480 8GB instead but Fury cards have some nice deals indeed.

Let us know how it performs compared to your 380's. :)

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Personally as someone who had a Fury X, I really miss mine.

Go for the Fury. Its alot stronger then a RX 480, especially in higher resolutions.
    It could almost keep up with the R9 290 xfire I had before it.

My Fury X laughed at 3440x1400, where my 290x cries with 1440p.

9. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I am glad you said that. I play on a 55" tv, and I sit about 5 feet away from it. Running 1080p is....kinda ugly haha. I try to downsample everything to at least 1440p, it makes a HUGE difference in IQ on such a large screen. My 380's do 1440p in games that fully support xfire which are few and far between. Downsampling any higher starts to have diminishing returns after 1800p but it sure does look nice.

What happened to your FuryX?

10. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti

Yeah it was an interesting choice. The 480 comes close in a few games and I have even seen a couple that had 1-2 fps more haha. But if you notice the trend with DX12/vulkan....look at some of the updated games with a dx12/Vulkan patch, like DOOM or Deus Ex:Mankind Divided, Warhammer, etc. AMD cards in general are flexing hard, and the Fury easily beats out the 480. I forsee this trend continuing, so I hope I am right!

And I will absolutely let you know how it compares. I feel like it will be interesting. The games that really utilized xfire well are probably gonna take a small hit or be the same. It will be a much smoother experience overall, which is what I am looking for.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd have jumped on the Fury too. I was looking at the RX 470 and 480 Monday trying to decide which to get. Obviously I ended up with the 470, but the prices I've been seeing for the 480 (at local stores, mind you), the Fury is a better value than the 480, even with the 480 carrying an extra 4GB.

12. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    The Fury series is good, Great experience providing the game is optimized well, I play mostly car games, Assetto Corsa at 4k60 almost maxed out SMAA, Project cars 4K60 (without rain) almost maxed out no AA, FH3 1440p60 dynamic ultra preset, DOOM 4K60 maxed out nightmare.

On quite a few games it can play 4K60 without AA (it looks nicer in 4K no AA than 1080p MSAA 8x), 1440p is never a problem, never had any VRAM problems no stutters, even FH3 didn't stutter for me like everyone else for some reason.

I was worried about the 4gb before purchase but it turned out to be fine. In all cases it is highly overpowered for 1080p, and if the game is developed by monkeys you can get 1080p60.

Went from a 970 (kept for less than 6 months) to a fury X, best decision I made, but I am also willing to bring down some settings to get a higher res, often you can't notice the difference between Ultra and High while you are playing. Like my fury X so much I might even jump the vega cards, if vega is way more powerful i'll think about it.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I believe you. Fury X is a beast and holds up very good in latest games. Its even ahead of 980ti and 1070 in latest BF1 benchmark, impressive if you ask me.

Still at this point only card in Fury line that is worth it right now is Fury Pro. Prices are coming down nicely but somehow i still find RX480 8GB a better choice. Maybe im mad :D

Btw, what happened to your Fury card? You changed quite a few GPU's lately. If i recall i think there was even an nvidia card in your specs. :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Amazon has the Sapphire Fury X for $379 right now.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Good card. I've got one.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Your not Mad ("Maybe im mad :D") you just Opting for New Tek that's all :)
    But remember that 2.5D Fiji HBM GPUs are in AMD/ATI drivers Team Mind all the time, even more than Polaris
    Why? ----> Vega is comming, and you know that these two have a lot in common :grad:

17. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Card came in the mail today! Totally sucked knowing that it was at my house by noon and had to finish another 4 hours at work haha.
    Card is huge! Hot damn its big. Sure is a beauty though! Feels good to be done with crossfire. I did lose some performance in The Witcher 3 (about 10 fps) but got rid of the stutter so I will not complain about that.

And sad face, I can not unlock this card into a FuryX. Oh well, its still a beast.

18. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    First impressions:

Card is massive. Wow, its big. Good thing I have a giant case. The card runs cooler and much quieter than my other 2 cards together. Not really a suprise there. Its a very sexy card.

Performance. No more crossfire problems which is just crazy. Everything is so smooth. Games that are 2 years old I can downsample @ 4k no problem which is nice. I did lose about 10 fps in The Witcher 3 which was interesting but the fact I got rid of the horrid stuttering was worth that 10 fps. BF4 I gained fps, I can now run on 150% resolution scale and it never drops below 60fps.
    Running 3dmark also had some interesting findings. The 2x 380's xfire was actually a few hundred points faster in every test. Some up to 500 points faster. How strange. Not that that few of points really matters, just thought it was odd. Those little guys really did have heart haha.

Also strange, even upping the core +50mhz yielded 300 points more in 3dmark! Unfortunately, I can not seem to get more than 25mhz on the core to be stable in any games. This card will not oc at all and will not unlock. Seems I got the dreaded stock or bust card. I will have to try pumping some voltage into it to see if I can squeeze out some extra performance. The memory on this card clearly does not need any more performance, its all in the core.

So if anyone has any awesome tips on getting this card running perfect, I would appreciate it. I already switched over to the second bios for the 300w/80c function.

So far I am very happy with card.

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Try my BIOS with tMOD and Test again.
    Find it in Our BIOS Thread.

Don't worry about it, and don't use MSI AB for Fury use TriXX (Moded one is also on my Mega) :)