GTX 1080 Gsync issue?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by stojo, Oct 3, 2016.

1. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    Hello,

first, sorry for my bad english. I am from Germany.

I have a strange problem. I bought a GTX 1080 since release and never had problems with it.
    My Monitor is an Asus PG278Q.

Now i a have a big problem, my Gsync doesn´t work anymore.

It happened when i started my CSGO.
    Because i am thinking of to buy an Asus PG348Q like my friend has, i set the refresh rate in Nvidia Control panel from 144Hz to 100Hz to see how i like the maximum 100Hz from the PG348Q.

I started the game and for the first time the Monitor LED changed from red to orange. It did never before.
    Then i noticed ingame, that Gsync was out of funkction. I got something around between 200 and 300 FPS.

I went back to desktop and looked in the control panel for Gsync. It was activated how it should be.

Then i tried everything, i restarted my PC, I deleted all driver files with driver cleaner and did a clean driver installation.

Nothing helped. After driver installation i got message, that Gsync monitor is connected. But it doesn´t work.

Then i called my friend, he brought me his Acer Gsync monitor. I plugged mine off and plugged the Acer in. Reinstalled the drivers and again, Gsync connected, but orange LED and in all games Gsync doesn´t work. Sometimes it works in some games in Window-mode, but in every game Gsync doesn´t work in fullscreen anymore.

I really don´t know what has gone wrong, when i changed the refresh rate to 100 and started CSGO.

Has anybody got a solution for me? I am very disappointed.

Is my GTX 1080 broken? I have really no idea, where the problem is.

Thank you in advance.

Many greetings

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If you want to use gsync with high-FPS games, you need to limit your frame rate to about 5 FPS below your refresh rate.

Always use 144Hz with GSync. If you want 100Hz, just use a 100FPS frame cap and gsync will make sure you get 100Hz.

For CS:GO, that means 144Hz and "fps_max 100" in your autoexec.cfg or "+fps_max 100" in your launch options. That will give you 100Hz. But since this is CS:GO, the more FPS the better, so I'd recommend "fps_max 139".

Gsync CANNOT work for frame rates that exceed the monitor refresh rate. So once you hit 100FPS in 100Hz or 144FPS in 144Hz, gsync gets disabled. The only way to keep gsync enabled is to make sure your frame rate does not exceed your refresh rate.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    There are some bugs currently with Windows 10 Redstone update.
    In the GeForce forums, Nvidia employee ManuelG recommends to enforce vsync in the driver at the same time when using Gsync until a known bug is fixed.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hasn't it always been like that?

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It had been, but they changed the default setting a few drivers back (you may have to choose "clean install" during driver installation afaik).

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ah you mean that if I clean install the V-sync setting will be set to "Off" by default? That's true, G-sync doesn't work without V-sync set to On.

7. negachampa

negachampa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti SLI
    It does work even with V-Sync off. G-sync will be working not matter the V-sync option.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No it does not right now.

Hasn't for a while.

9. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    Yes, it does right now.

10. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Seriously dude think before you type utter nonsense.

11. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    this is very odd , ive capped my framerate in BF1 to 160fps , I have a PG279Q monitor and i swear ive noticed tearing? My monitors light is red as it should be for gsync but i did think it was a bit off , so i need to turn on vsync? I did notice vsync has been off by default for a while

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes tearing will happen if vsync isn't on.
    This has happened for several months now.

If you have a FPS limit with vsync on, vsync should never activate as it won't go beyond the refresh rate.
    So not sure why it has to be on, but its a bug of some sort.

Some games have more tearing than others. So people who say they don't have tearing are just wrong as they probably only play a couple of games.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Nope. If I turn off V-sync, I'll have tearing at 60fps or 120fps on my 144Hz monitor.

Like I've said before, G-sync functionality was better in the old days. You turned G-sync ON in NVCPL and V-sync OFF everywhere else.

14. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    so i need vsync on? I mean if im capped at 160 fps on a 165hz monitor with gsync vsync shouldnt be an issue or needed either way?

15. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    What's all this rubbish I'm reading above me?

G-sync is used for framerate BELOW your monitor's refresh rate. If your FPS exceeds your monitor's refresh rate G-sync will deactivate. In that case you would need Vsync/Fast Sync.

If you are playing games at 200-300fps on a 144hz Gsync monitor then you are wasting your time as G-sync won't be working at all. The only option is to cap your games max fps (if the game supports it) to slightly below your refresh rate.

Gsync works fine for me on my PG279Q.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Gsync works below your monitor refresh rate. Example - 144hz monitor, cap FPS to around 140. Wualla, you have Gsync working. Above that FPS it wont work.

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Gsync works great on this end. Have the Acer Predator XB1 at 165hz 1440p.

But as others said. You gotta cap your FPS to use lower Refresh Rate values.

There is really no point if you have 144hz. The beauty of Gsync is that even if its lower than your refresh rate, you won't notice the tearing as without vsync etc.

18. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Regarding the need to cap fps a little below max refresh.

I'm guessing this is only if your playing with v-sync off? I just enable v-sync in-game or control panel. Why would you run with v-sync off on a g-sync panel anyway. I don't think there is any decrease in input lag?... so there is essentially no point.

19. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    gsync=no input lag, vsync=input lag

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Too many posts here with information not pertaining to the issue.

To be crystal clear.

You HAVE to enable VSYNC regardless, even if you have a FPS cap below refresh rate.
    Tearing will happen if you do not.

In this case, vsync will cap the FPS, so it's best to put a FPS cap below refresh rate so VSYNC will not activate.

VSYNC needs to be on or you will get tearing, it's a known bug.