How to undervolt a GTX 1060 using MSI AB?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by hsjj3, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsjj3

hsjj3 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 4GB
    Ok, I have the latest version (4.3.0 Beta 14), and I'm trying to figure out, how can I undervolt the GPU? The reason I would like to undervolt is because the temps on my GTX 1060 do get quite high due to two factors, namely poor case airflow and also high ambient temps.

Since undervolting is effectively free, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have read the Revision History which explains the voltage control with GPU Boost 3.0 in MSI AB.

My intention is this - I want to increase the clockspeed per voltage level, and at the same reduce the ultimate voltage.

It's like this. At default settings:

2012 MHz = 1.063V
    2000 MHz = 1.050V
    1974 MHz = 1.000V

What I want it to do is this:

2012 MHz = 1.000V

This is what I have: http://i.imgur.com/r9Hk7XB.png

All I did was increase the offset by 38 MHz.

Now, if you look at that graph of mine, 2012 MHz corresponds to 1000mV. Question is, how can I make the rest of the voltage settings flat? I don't want a voltage above 1000mV used. I want 2012/1000 to be the max, but below it to be variable as per normal. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

GPU Boost 3.0 doesn't allow you to do that.

3. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    The more I hear about GPU Boost 3.0 the less it seems like an 'improvement'.

4. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Leave the core frequency at 0 and open the curve editor window.

Click on the point for 1.000v anbd drag it up until you get to 2012mhz.
    Click on apply and you are finished.

You don't need to move the voltage slider. Moving temp and power target sliders to max is optional.

Adjust your memory as you like.

You will end up with a curve with a distinct step in it that is totally flat from 1.000 and higher. The clock will go straight to 2012mhz when you put the card under load and should stop there.

If there is any headroom, you may find that you boost initially up to 2026 and then drops back.

5. hsjj3

hsjj3 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 4GB
    Sir, I think it's possible. Undervolting does actually work. But it's a chore.

Basically, based on my graph above, any point after 1.000v I must drag them down to 2012MHz. It works then.

My suggestion is, in MSI AB allow a keyboard shortcut to "flatten" the frequency after a certain point. So when my cursor selects 2012/1.000 in the graph above, I can press something like CTRL+J and it will flatten all frequency values for voltage values above 1.000v to 2012MHz. Not sure if I explained it correctly or not. Hope you can understand.

6. Unwinder

That's not called undervolting. And no, "flatting" frequency is a bad suggestion because you don't control anything but offset in each point so you cannot expect the base frequency in any point to be fixed all the time.

7. Bumbr

Bumbr Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    Undervolted my gtx 1070 with AB and curve like this take.ms/OktuI (please add http to link, need 5 posts for links...)
    I am using more than 2 month undervoltated card w\o any issues and performance pitfails. Placed this in FAQ on a RU forum with description of my experiments with gpu boost 3.0 and curve. I can provide you some feedback if u interested, i think standard sliders voltage\frequency now outdated and community needs better tools for voltage\frequency tweaking. :)

8. Unwinder

Community that needs better tools may discuss it in better places. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.