[PSA] If you have a G-Sync monitor and NVIDIA GPU READ THIS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by raclimja, Sep 29, 2016.

1. raclimja

raclimja Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Driver 372.XX does NOT work properly with G-Sync monitors.

If you have enough GPU processing power, games will render above your monitors refresh rate which will result in stuttering.

So far I have confirmed 368.95 (for pascal) does not have any issues and renders the games to the max refresh rate (without going over) of your monitor WITHOUT V-Sync ON.
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4202/~/geforce-hot-fix-driver-version-368.95

If you have Maxwell GPU, I suggest you use 368.81 or older.

2. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Or enable fast sync with G-Sync which would result in even lower latency.

3. raclimja

raclimja Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    I tried Fast Sync but there is noticeable stuttering on my Acer XB271HU 1440P 165Hz G-Sync monitor (game renders at 190~220FPS with Fast Sync).

Also toggling Fast Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel totally screws up the graphics driver because even if you restore it to default in 368.95, it will not cap the game FPS to monitors refresh rate requiring a reinstall of the driver.

4. adolfotregosa

adolfotregosa Active Member

I haven't had a single problem with any recent driver regarding g-sync. It works correctly here. Games are capped correctly and no stutter occurs.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You're using vsync then, not gsync. Once you reach the refresh rate, gsync is disabled and vsync is enabled.

If you want to always use gsync, use a frame limiter to cap the frame rate about 3 or 4 FPS below your refresh rate.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    This is not the first post I've seen saying this. Gsync works fine.
    If you want typical Gsync behavior, you need to enable Gsync and Vsync in the driver. In the newer drivers, using Gsync and Vsync on makes Gsync work just as before, when you reach your max Hz you will switch to Vsync. Again, this is how Gsync has worked since it came out.

The only difference is you have more control now. You can turn off Vsync and let the FPS ramp up. This was not even an option previously.

Most who want Gsync 100% of the time will do 'Gsync on, Vsync off, frame limit below refresh rate'. On my 144hz monitor I limit globally in RTSS to 140 FPS. You had to do this in older drivers as well, just because Vsync was not an option does not mean it wasn't switching to Vsync. This is how Gsync was designed to work.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Using fps-limiter slightly below maximum refreshrate is the best solution for Gsync anyway.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    No issues here. The only problem is super stutter / lag when game runs in windowed mode with Gsync enabled for Windowed and Full screen mode.

Besides that all works smooth at 144hz.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I was surprised to find out I'm running Gsync without Vsync. Now I know how I suddenly got 180fps in Overwatch :bugeye:

10. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    if yr g-sync monitor got issue, please kindly deliver to me. thanks.

11. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    After updating to latest driver very few games (like Division) needed to change my refresh rate (back and forth,example from 85 to 60 and then to 85 again) to make G sync work.
    Before doing this G sync didn't work, no matter what options I had in Nv control panel.

But on most of the games Gsync is working as before updating driver..

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Fast Sync only works smooth when you can maintain double the FPS of your Refresh rate.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I've never had an issue with Gsync on my cards. Must and has to be a Maxwell issue for some folks then.

I never ran into this issue on 980 SLI either, but that was on a way earlier driver set.

Interesting though, you should set Vsync ON in the Nvidia CP, and OFF in games to use it properly....just heads up. Oh, and make sure it's turned on in your monitor also.

14. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    I've got the same monitor, and until recently was using a 970 with it without issue.

You might say to yourself "he has the problem too then, he just can't tell".

And to that I say, no I do not have the problems you experience, your problems are software related.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    need this for FreeSync

alas it introduces tearing :(

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    The only difference is the old driver set has vsync on global by default. The new set does not.

PSA not needed as those that pay attention are already aware.

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Even with AMD's FRTC?
    I think FRTC shouldn't have problems with FreeSync, unlike other limiters like games' own or RTSS (Gsync doesn't have this problem, unless it's somehow caused by a bug).

I read in the Geforce forums that there currently is a bug with Gsync which needs driver vsync to be enabled to avoid tearing.
    (I hope fps-limit below refreshrate still works as expected to reduce lag without disadvantages).

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes :puke:

The only(!) game that you can fps limit and still have working FreeSync (as in not tearing) is BF4.
    I do not remember if it's done via AMD FRTC or via BF4 console command.

Every other game:
    FreeSync + FRTC (or any other kind of fps limiting) = tearing

It's a huge inconvenience with older games. I deal with it by under-clocking my 290, or by increasing the graphic load otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  19. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    A few months ago when I was still running 290X CF I had FRTC + FreeSync working fine for me as long as it was set below the screen's refresh rate. I used FRTC at 59FPS on my 4K 60Hz monitor and it worked just fine.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sure you did. With CF no less..

Straight from the horse's mouth:

AMD_Robert:
    "Do not use any sort of frame capping with FreeSync.
    The frame time analysis algorithms that govern FreeSync, FRTC or other methods will conflict and break both solutions."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...cking_awesome/d6zl13v?st=itdvdnyw&sh=73d1a8e6

Then again maybe you're right. There is nothing official from AMD on this (Robert is marketing guy, and he gets things wrong occasionally).
    And braking things in new driver releases is not exactly unheard of.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016