CAT5 and CAT6 Network Cables Will Support 5 Gbps Ethernet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ChuckyDB

ChuckyDB Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980TI poseidon
    So that means we'll finally get more than 1gbit/s in the consumer market right?
    It's about time. 802.11ad wifi was going to give better performance than Ethernet, which is quite insane. How do you connect your router/access point without creating a bottleneck because of ethernet?
    This should have been done way sooner

3. FeDaYin

FeDaYin Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 ref.
    Same cable = 5x speed so the cable was possible to push 5 gbit but they didn't wanted.

This came in about the right time. I have 1 gigabit connection for 3 years, I pay 10 USD for it in a month. Yeah, that's how cheap internet it's in Romania. Upload is 200 Mbit. The bottleneck between my computer and the fiber optic I have at 2 meters from my computer, is the UTP cable that supports only 1 gbit and also all motherboards below $500 don't have 10gbit port. They did this way just to suck more money from server standards.

4. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

I would say 802.11ad range of around 10 meters direct line of sight and the fact that it can be stopped by a glass is a no way to count it as a ethernet network standart at all.It is highly localised single room standard.Any way the news for bumping the speed without need of cable infrastructure change is a good news. :)

5. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Pfff I've been using 10GbE with dirt cheap Infiniband HCA's for years and now I have 40GbE with some ConnectX 3's.

6. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    Will IEEE 802.3bz affect CAT 7 and 8?

7. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    so basically its more to lan-port / processing chip rather than the medium (lan cable)

well its more reasonable now...
    before cat5? or cat6? only rated for 1gbps, while cat7(https://www.sanwa.co.jp/seihin_joho/cat7/) rated 10gbps...
    back then the 10x jump is so unreasonable for me... i mean there nothing changed in layout or material... just more shielding
    so been thought it just marketing BS

8. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    But what about the 1 gigabit ethernet cards, routers and switches? are they able to puch this speeds...?

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    As stated before, the advertised performance of 802.11ad is a theoretical maximum, and to my understanding, it's the maximum speed in one direction. Another thing people tend to forget about wifi is your effective bandwidth is halved for every device on your network (I think that counts the router itself but I may be wrong about that). So if your router works at 2Gbps but you have 4 end-devices connected to it and transferring data simultaneously, you're really getting 400Mbps per-device. Don't forget - that's just the theoretical maximum speed of the network itself. That doesn't take into account the actual Internet bandwidth.

EDIT:
    Anyway, it is cool seeing Ethernet get a hefty speed boost for consumers. Though I'm a bit surprised they chose 5Gbps; hasn't 10 been around longer (for servers)? Wouldn't that normally trickle down to consumers?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  10. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Nevermind, go speed go!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good news for offices, however sad thing is that most of consumer western world still sits on copper telephone lines without any option of an upgrade. All thanks to megacorporations controlling all the infrastructure and preventing upgrades, yay for anti-monopoly laws.

12. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Fiber is better !

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    sweet, more fancy cables to connect to my 100Mbit router.

14. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Most of the western world has fiber either all the way or most of the way to your house. A substantially larger percentage of the American population has broadband than Russia. Must be all those former communist oligarchs keeping the peasantry in check eh?

The reason they control the infrastructure is because they made the investments and built it. Its not perfect, but it works a hell of a lot better than everything being owned and controlled by the government like you guys tried for 100 years.

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    It started with copper and luckily American Ingenuity/Corporations have DEVELOPED that first communication method into what we have today.

16. SHOCKTRUPPEN

SHOCKTRUPPEN Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 Strix
    To think in 1982 when I was stationed in Okinawa, if I wanted info from home I could subscribe to my local newpaper and get it if I was lucky in 3 weeks time, or call home on a landline phone that cost me $1.00 u.s. a minute! So to see you guys argue about how fast your internet is, or isn't, makes me laugh because you have no clue what slow information is lol!!:download:

17. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Wireless is shared bandwidth every device in radio range has to share that bandwidth.. including other networks that might not even be yours. That's why 2.4Ghz networks are crap now with soo many networks around it's almost useless.

In a perfect world with no radio interference and one device yes you can get over Gigabit. In the real world though it's a stretch to get anything close to just regular Gigabit Ethernet.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Meanwhile in the early 1800s, people laugh about how you have no clue communications were for them. Speed is relative.

Though, most people here have no use for even 100Mbps rates. Even if your internet speed is faster, 100 is fast enough for any live data steams at home.

19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Mmmm im so glad my comment made you salty, Andrew the little Russophobe. :flip2:

In any case, i lived in UK for 10 years, 2 years in US, 4 years in Germany, year in France and now 5th year in Latvia, and mind that in Various places across those countries.

Of all of them Latvia is leading by affordability / availability. Your "fact" about every westerner having access to Fiber is a bias lie. You can smack your head against the wall, in countries I previously mentioned, but you will not get anything better then copper unless you reside in so called "fiber covered areas".

Russia is different story, internet was non existent up until mid-late 90's and infrastructure was built mostly from scratch, however now same as in Latvia you can literally get it anywhere you want as long as you are willing to pay the price.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not sure what western world you live in but over here, no, most of the western world does not have fiber.