Forza Horizon DX12 kills Nvidia cards and 4 core CPUs!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dburgo, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Just read some interesting details regarding maxing out the game here, it seems even at 1080P, Nvidia having a hard time keeping up: http://*************/nvidia-amd-gpus-benchmarked-forza-horizon-3/

Also, because the game is encrypted and needs to be decrypted on the fly, 4 core CPUs, decrypting from SSD gives LOWER performance than decrypting from slower HDDs due to faster read speeds and the cpu not keeping up?!

http://*************/forza-horizon-...detailed-new-video-possible-cause-discovered/

While the reason behind these performance issues has yet to be discovered, reddit user dkhavilo believes he has found it. According to the user, the game stutters due to ESR, as a lot of CPU is required to decrypt files while playing.

The reason of those stutters is the fact that the game uses EFS which consumes a lot of CPU.
    Yesterday, i’ve captured a usage on my CPU and GPU, and found interesting thing, when CPU has 100% a lot of stuttering appears and GPU usage lower fluctuates at 50-80%. Stutters mostly appears in a city and mostly at the fast speed, when the game loads a lot of assets simultaneously. The i’ve navigated to a folder where game is installed and found that game folder uses EFS, which AFAIK uses AES256 encryption. Having EFS is ok for sensible documents, not the game files, because it requires a lot of CPU to decrypt.
    There’s also a post on the official forums where a user has issues on a 4-core CPU, and has no issues on a 6-core one.
    P.S. My specs are i5-6600k @ 4.0GHz, MSI Gaming X GTX 1070, 16Gb RAM, installed on a 512Gb Crucial MX100.
    Update 1 During cpu spikes there’s a high IO activity too, as assumed on the mentioned forum thread, this can be the result of encryption preventing files to be cached. This can also prove, the encryption might be a problem, because cpu is bottlenecked when reading a huge amount of data. If you have HDD, then read speed is pretty low, meaning you have less data to decrypt each second, but on an ssd, data reads very fast resulting in a big cpu spikes

If people could post their experiences here, and maybe any tweaks for Nvidia users, that would be helpful to the community. I am downloading as we speak, as far as I know, keeping the game at high quality will give better performance at any resolution with GTX1080 than with Ultra High quality. Also I can't believe I am saying this, if this is the future of gaming, is 4 core CPUs dead? I am really glad something finally is going to give me my value for my 6 core 6880k! :) Will post results once I download this huge download off my crappy capped satellite connection. :(

2. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    So doesn't that post mean it's due to a lack of optimization rather then a lack of cores problem? Sounds like it's not properly distributing the load across all cores. If disabling core 0 alleviates that issue then that's a pretty clear sign that the game needs some simple optimization.

EFS encrypted video games should not be the reason we need to move from 4 core CPUs. It makes total sense that adding more cores for games does (and should do) nothing. The idea is to put as much onus on the GPU.
    If 6+ core CPU's could offer any other tangible benefit to games other then extreme heavy handed DRM (which is what this is) then I understand completely. But that's not where we are headed.

Specifically games though. Totally understandable if you do CPU related tasks outside of playing video games and therefor desire a 6+ core CPU.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    If you had bothered to read the thread on this game in the games sub-forum you would know that all of this was discussed and shared before.

5. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

So your not pleased with me saving people the trouble of going through all of those posts? Your not positing that we as an Nvidia community might want to share our own personal thoughts or results on the matter? You are displeased with me sharing a breaking news story that was posted maybe a few hours after it broke, sharing the implict value as it pertains to users in the Nvidia section? But its fine that other people can post threads regarding Deus Ex weeks after the release as well as purport revelry to the fact that Nvidia is showing weakness in DX12 games. Thats two games released on DX 12 that are being labeled as "not optimized correctly yet" and I am not seeing results that the whole shift to windows 10 is supposed to give me. Sorry, I had no idea Ancient Guru's want to be so crass in their length of time posting to an internet forum that is supposed to build community and resource opinion and information as I have done my whole time here besides actually posting back to "trolls". Which happily, is far and few between here in comparison to other forums. Thanks for the input. I myself dont have the luxury of a non capped internet and like having information thats useful and/or handy, without all of the "research" involved with reading mostly opinion sometimes. I am sure that seeing in the right column, this thread actually has at the point of writing this, almost 450 views, I think I may have been resourceful and helpful to at least a few people. I only started it earlier this afternoon... Sorry I couldnt be that helpful to you it seems. But I posted this here to help Nvidia users like me get the game playable and also, to maybe compare opinion or view with others if they are interested. As I am on a throttled internet connection, I am eagerly still awaiting this humongous download so I can give hands on expereince and recall of my systems ability with this new DX12 game.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    The drm issue is and has already been discussed days ago. And so far its one reddit account, Thats claiming Drm. Until we have any actual evidence it is the drm we cant say thats the cause.

The games main issue is it only utilizing one core hence the " core uncheck trick "

But in the Forza thread we have been posting about the cpu uncheck and the drm since Saturday, So I'm not sure if id call it breaking news a few hours after it broke.

Its more, A rumor about Drm a few days later.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    All 4 of my cores are being evenly utilised. So in my case it's not the case of only one core getting hammered. Still getting stutters.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't know what post count has to do with you spamming something that has already been discussed and shared. Now if you call me a troll that's fine I've been called worse by better.

You have 450+ views because people are hoping it's something new not recycled info. See now you have wasted more peoples bandwidth.

This thread is now on the level of click bait. With an overbearing and touchy OP.

In the short time I've gotten with it I have not had the stutter (only about 20 minuets) but the input lag on this game with 30fps cap and vsync is ridiculous.

9. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Interesting. the i5 i tested, 6600k. Showed the same thing. But the i7 6700k only one core being used.

10. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Not gonna argue symantics with you but the post is more geared towards 1.) Nvidia users and dx12 performance
    2.) 4 Cores being an issue
    3.) The story broke on WCCFtech a few hours before I posted. So it was new news to me, and others I am sure.
    Seeing as you have been playing it for a short time and following the issues since it has been playable, why do you use the 1070 to play it at only 30fps Cap? Does it not run 60fps at 1080p or is that a 4k resolution that you capped with? Also are you trying the suggested High settings and not the Ultra?

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Stop trolling your own thread. Lol. This has been discussed. You're late to the race, just admit it and stop being so indignant. :bang:

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    4K all ultra with MSAA x4. I am running out in 4K as it alleviates the CPU bottleneck a bit. I can't hold 2560x1440 @60 but get close to the same performance on 4K hence I'm sitting back and enjoying playing the game on my 65" TV (when I have time).

13. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Trolling? The only thing I notice now is that the links to WCCFtech are borked and after I found the thread in the games section (which I didnt even know there was one until yesterday which I simply cut and paste the links to benchmarks with the game as well as the issues you guys have been dealing with), there is nothing being said about the fact that disk speed may play an issue with the EFS the game uses as well. Which I posted and is relevant info. Are you suggesting I shouldnt even comment in a thread I created? What are you people? :vader:

Also in the other thread someone else is seemingly understanding and normal when deets75 posted "hardly spamming... is reddit banned here?" As to all of you guys trying to keep all the info in that one thread, I understand, but I made this thread regarding the issues I posted and am STILL downloading the game to a Solid state Hybrid Drive in regards to possible drive performance hiccuping the EFS.

14. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

In one of the links I posted that you cant click through, alot of people are having much better results at any resolution when setting the game to high. Also, in a photo side by side comparison, its been shown that there was actually no noticeable difference between the two as far as the image is concerned, but performance is like 30 fps or more better? It kind of concerns me that a 1070 is not performing well especially at 60 fps and 1440p. :question:

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Are you dense. I have a CPU bottleneck in this game not a GPU bottleneck. I am running a 2500k at 4.5GHz. I don't have enough CPU power for this title currently. Turning down graphical options will have a negligible effect on my performance (with the exception of MSAA but this game looks pants without it).

16. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

First of all, I am not only a certified engineer, but also helped with the domain work on the $54Billion acquisition of Gillette's transition to Procter and Gamble. I have also worked on systems used at the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as served and retired from the United States Army. I am M$ certified, Cisco certified A+,Net+, security+ and hold clearances you cant even dream of. If anything, the last thing I am is "dense". As far as taking a tip or two its up to you, but dont be a turd, try it out. Like I said b4, the results from changing the gfx settings from Ultra to High seem to improve performance dramatically even on GTX 1080. It certainly may help you with you issue to some extent. But seriously, at this point, you can go pour water over your rig for all I care.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  18. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm Bill Gates. Calm down :p