HP admits rejecting non-HP ink cartridges - it was deliberate and won't release fix

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    What is a printer brand that doesn't try to pull this sort of ink drm? Are there any that are more focused on giving you a printer and giving the option of a bunch of third party cheaper ink?

3. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Nice move, HP!
    It was nice knowing you!

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    on other hand they lost a lot of client with the fall of price of the lazer printer and tonner that and now very close to inkjet.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Good luck HP.

"Ink will not be contained, ink brakes free."

"Ink... finds a way."

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Ink is and has always been a blatant rip-off which needs investigating like any industry.

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    iirc years ago Lexmark released lots of ink-jet printers that were dirty cheap, but ink-jet cartridges bundled with those were not refillable (sticker on the top of the cartridge clearly stated it's not refillable) and there was no workaround for that. If you want to refill cartridges for those ink-jet printers you have to buy sh*t load expencive cartridges with mark A at the end but black A + colour A cartridge were even more expencive than new printer! There were lots of customer complains about that, few years later Lexmark sunked to the bottom with their ink-jet printers and completely shut down production of those.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's what I'm wondering too.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It makes total sense for a company to do that, but you do need to go back to the origin of the issue, why are there replacement cartridges in the first place ?

If HP exclusively ties the cartridge to their ink ... prices of ink go up. Currently Hewlett-Packard color inkjet cartridge is costly by weight more than imported Russian caviar, it's is 3x more expensive then Dom Pérignon champagne.

Companies like HP turned printer ink into black gold, hence a huge market for these 3rd party inkjet cartridges opened up as the reality is that the ink and cartridges can be up-to 3 to 4x cheaper for the same quality. Now HP is closing this 'discrepancy' again. If you are cool with that ... hey good for HP and go buy HP printers. If you like to save some money .. you probably don't wanna do that.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I have no idea what to do about my printer situation in the future. I have a Canon inkjet currently, but it's a total joke. I thought buying not the cheapest printer with separate ink cartridges for different colours saves money, but I couldn't have been more wrong. I can print, with luck, 5 photos of 10x15 with the printer before it drains one of the cartridges empty. It should print more, but every time I turn the damned thing on, it produces a lot of noise for 2-3 minutes and wastes a ridiculous amount of ink.

When you start printing, the driver opens a little window to display the ink levels. These levels already often drop a step before the printer has printed a single drop, during the powering on phase. I guess what it should be doing is cleaning the printing head or something, but in reality what it does is waste a good amount of the ink to boost Canon's ink sales.

I switched to third party ink a long time ago, how couldn't I with the printer being a hoax like that. But even with cheap ink cartridges it's ridiculous. I swore I'll never get another Canon printer again. Now with these news, HP is out of the question as well. Unfortunately Epson seems to have the smallest amount of ink in the cartridges, but who knows, if their printers don't waste ink purposefully, they might still work. I'll have to study the situation.

Or get something else than an inkjet.

11. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Preach Hilbert. Preach. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I like how people threaten HP, dont worry they clearly dont care about you. Otherwise they would not make such a move. Pathetic, yet so predictable.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I print everything I need at work. And it's not even much I'd need to print. So... not too touched by this stuff as I haven't bought a printer in the last 10 years.

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    HP are doing it because they are pushing their 'Instant Ink' program hard now. They don't even want you buying their own cartridges in outlet stores. They want you to start a rolling contract for repeat ink sales with them and them alone.

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    They dont give a damn about consumer market.
    "We got Enterprise market,bietches.we dont care about casual users or small business".

Corporation is corporate,haters gona hate. :)

16. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    This reminds me of nail guns.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have an HP Photosmart Premium.... The cost of all needed ink cartridges...$150USD. Can't even print 20 pages without replacing all of the ink cartridges. The price of ink is ridiculous how the short life span of an ink cartridge.

18. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    HP customer support would be one one of the helluva worst places to work in weeks/months that comes, same as big online sellers of 3rd party ink-jet cartridges: stocks full of new compatible HP ink-jet cartridges ready to be dumped into trash :bang:

Years ago I've bought my first color laser printer, HP CP1025, and never looked back into ink-jet arena again. With all 4 toner cassettes refilled to the top + cheap compatible toner chips (4pcs, one for every colour) on eBay or AliExpress with one refill it could print between 1200 and 1500 pages of colour material, text + pics... It's a bit slow while printing full color material and photos (fast at B/W printing) but who cares, I'm not wasting my money and nerves with ink-jet cartridges anymore, not to talk about refilling those. There are much faster alternatives now compared to HP CP1025 and to be honest nice HP colour laser printers for home and small/mid-office use are not that expencive like they were 5, 10 years ago.

Prior buying first colour laser printer back in 2008, or it was 2009, more than 10 years back I was using all kinds of ink-jet printers:
    - some Xerox crap, printing head broke by itself after 2 weeks of use, no warranty on that one, printer ended up in garbage
    - HP 840C, one of my favorite ink-jet printers, huge ink-jet cartridges easily refillable
    - Lexmark X1180, small cartridges but easili refillable
    - Lexmark X3300, nice one, big refillable cartridges, new genuine Lexmark cartridges were way to much overpriced but compatible 3rd party ones were 2x to 3x cheaper, still in working order but probably ink in cartridges has dried completely long time ago
    - HP Photosmart 2575 All-in-One, great printer, used mostly for photo printing
    ...etc

But once I've tasted the easines and comfort of use and maintaining colour laser printers no way I'm going back to ink-jet printers anymore. Ink-jet printer market is going to sunk sooner or later, probably some 10 or 15 years from now. Guess sellers of 3rd party ink-jet cartridges are the main reason why ink-jet printer market still survives, probably 3rd party ink-jet cartridge market for HP printers is the bigest out there. No doubt that genuine ink-jet cartridge production and sky-high prices for those is nothing more than gold mine for HP, Epson, Canon... but with business decissions like this one from HP more and more consumers are going to look for (in longterm use) more affordable alternatives in color laser arena.

edit
    corrected...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Damn, wish i had out some money in these squid farms now. ha

20. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    And HP just bought Samsung printers... damn , Hopefully they dont send my samsung an virus.