Stay with 390 or go for a 480/1060?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by chumanga1, Sep 24, 2016.

1. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    Hey guys, so i send my card to warranty and they reproduce the problem with the card and give me the option for an XFX 390 which is a bit slower than mine broken 390 Nitro or i can take money back and buy a 480 or 1060.

I just in doubt if RX480 has better potential than 390 since it has lower bandwidth/pixel fill rate.

480 has even slower compute performance than 390 in some benchs. Yet i inclined by 1060 even being crippled hardware but NVIDIA better software support cause me temptation. But yet i like raw power and 2GB more of VRAM is good in times where developers like to stock everything there.

Is 480 a better card in overall than 390, what you guys think and would take?

2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Take money
    Buy newer stuff

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Either go with the RX 480 or take money and go for a 1070.

4. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    I'd take the 480X over the R9 390 anyday.. there's really no reason not to..

It has the same performance while consuming (way) less, newer architecture, better tessellation, potentially bigger gains through driver optimization, better value if you wanna sell it later, and so on.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    What your resolutuon and refreshrate of monitor?

If you stick with 1080p 60fps, take money back and get 480 or 1060, depends on games you prefer.

For more demanding setup, take money and get 1070

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    No it isn't, it's slightly behind 390 in speed. It's a lttle bit cheaper than the 390 series when those came out, hardware is more or less the same with some minor optimizations. It's not a big step upwards, hence why enthousiasts are waiting for 490 cards, if they ever come.
    However, I would get my money back and go for the 1070. Or get a different 390.

Oh, vram is the same also. Which leaves some minor optimizations and powerdraw, which is improved yes.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Fury Nitro and Tri-X is on Sale now for 299€ so it's no brainer.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    390 is 8GB.

OP I would stay and see what Vega brings.

9. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    take the money add some and get a 1070

10. Subaru Swift

Subaru Swift Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb STRIX OC
    1060 or 1070 I would say.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Don't go from 8 to 6GB of VRAM...
    1070 would be a nice performance boost, RX 480 would be just a sidegrade.

12. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    Here AMD cards has low stocks, normally is rare to catch an AMD card, RX480 custom is out of stock right now in almost everywhere. GTX 1060 has plenty of models and is everywhere to purchase.

Other than that waiting for Vega is not something for me, VEGA will be higher end cards and expensive. I'm not going to add more money for new card, just get what the money can pay and for now it can pay a RX480 MSI/XFX/Nitro or GTX1060 G1 Gaming.

I dont think 6GB should be a problem for 1080p with mid card, if it was something like high-end card then i'll be concerned.

I just thinking now, RX480 better future proof card with crappy AMD software support or GTX1060 crippled card but with NVIDIA amazing software. I just thinking if i choose the best software or better hardware.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    AMD's driver support for newer games is anything but crappy, just to be fair.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You really overestimate how bad AMD software is / how good Nvidia software is.

15. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    I dont blaming gaming drivers, that part is all fine. The problem AMD dont deliver extra stuff properly while Intel/NVIDIA are far ahead in that department. Take a look at video engine SDK updates, AMD take 18 long months to update their Media SDK, while others update it regularly many times a year.

Take a look in Xaymar attempt to provide proper VCE recording since most AMD VCE softwares out there are broken. Raptr cant do constant framerate yet its incompatible with any third party hooking software while Shadowplay/Win10GameDVR/OBS are totally compatible.

But gues what even Win10GameDVR is broken for VCE and work perfectly fine for NVENC. The problem with VCE in Win10GameDVR relies in software side since november/2015 to this date.

AMD guy in Github stated than RX480 has no B-frames support in hardware while AMD Robert in Reddit stated than lack of b-frames is because SDK which already shows how bad AMD is in that case, they dont know answer why RX480 dont support b-frames which should do since GCN 1.1-1.2 supported and removing B-frames in hardware is a downgrade to GCN 1.0 for encoding.

Gaming drivers worked great for me in that time i used 390 and even in long past when i used low-end AMD cards i never had problem with gaming drivers. But nowadays extra stuff like Hardware encoding software support i had experience with NVIDIA/Intel and AMD and in my experience with both brands NVIDIA/Intel is far ahead in that department.

Just take up Staxrip which can encode with 3 brands ASIC encoders and compare, you will see the abysmal difference in amount of options implemented for VCE against two others companies. Even HEVC encoding is not ready yet in AMD SDK while this works fine for NVIDIA/Intel.

AMD looks like lack software team to work in extra stuff and all of it team is fully dedicated only to gaming driver which is only thing working properly. For 99% of users which only use GPU to run a game AMD will be 100% fine, but if you like to do extra stuff like using Hardware encoding, game recording AMD is far behind because their software side in that area.

What Shadowplay/NVENC was doing already in 2013 AMD VCE yet cant do and most of it is software related.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    For features, you're completely right. They are back on completely basic stuff for 3d too, like enforced Vsync.

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I had a R9 390 for five months, and I can definitely assure you that the overall driver situation with Nvidia is way more comforting.

The problems/issues I had with the R9 390:
    -Firefox could crash Windows 10 with bsod after corruption (got fixed a few months back)
    -corruption in Hitman with DX11 & medium shadow setting (got fixed via driver a few weeks after release)
    -corruption in Hitman DX12 when aiming down sight (got fixed after some months via driver)
    -stuttering in RotTR DX11 (Geothermal Valley, AMD DX11 driver overhead problem)
    -stuttering in RotTR DX12 (driver regression, got fixed after a few months)
    -graphical corruption in Heores of the Storm DX11 (probably not fixed until today)
    -random crashing of Crimson UI when deleting profiles
    -Crimson UI doesn't always find correct game exe
    -GPU video decoding prevents proper downclocking
    -Mirror's Edge: Catalyst showed catastrophic frametimes (not good on Nvidia too with my 2500k, but a huge improvement though)
    -using any fps-limiter in BF4 lead to bad frametimes on some maps
    -a lot more stuttering in Forza: Apex than with Nvidia
    -only "quality" texture filtering setting available with DX12 (shimmering in Forza: Apex), choosing higher filtering setting doesn't have any effect with DX12
    -forcing AF not possible with DX12 -> grass texture in Forza: Apex or textures in Hitman DX12 remain blurry
    -more stuttering in The Forest
    -stuttering with Doom OpenGL, especially after loading

Before the R9 390 I had 980 for a year. Problems I had with it:
    -sometimes clock got stuck in low power state with madVR
    -some TDR driver crashes in Ashes of the Singularity DX12

Problem I had so far with my 1070 after using for over a month:
    -sometimes corruption with Firefox and Windows 10 Redstone, disappears after a short time

You can live with the situation you have with AMD, but it's really not great quality-wise.

18. Sizzor

Sizzor Guest

GPU:
    4 GB
    Performance difference is quite the same between those cards. If you want to upgrade go for 1070 instead.

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    aufkrawall2: surprised you had that many problems. My 390 experience has been a lot nicer, especially with DOOM, Hitman and Firefox. I wonder what went wrong?

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Well, I didn't do anything to provoke problems. :)
    If it's in the driver, it's in the driver. Doesn't necessarily mean everyone encounters it. Depends on settings, habits etc.