New card good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PandaPandaPanda, Sep 24, 2016.

1. PandaPandaPanda

PandaPandaPanda Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 950 2gb
    Hello folks! Im new to this site. I am very impressed by all the information one can find on these forums, very helpful!

I want to ask for your opinion. I have just purchased a new card for my rig.

I got ASUS GTX 950 2gb. paid $87 for it after 40 instant save and 30 mail in rebate. is this a good deal?

I wanted to get the a decent card on the budget.

Should i rather exchange it and get a msi 1060 2gb for $250?

Thank your help

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The 1060 is a lot faster. Try to shoot for the 1060 6GB version. Depending on where you look (and where you live) you SHOULD be able to get the 6GB version for the price you just suggested for the 3GB version.

The 1060 6GB is a fantastic buy. Just be aware that you will be bottlenecked by your CPU. Keep a close eye on AMD Zen for an upgrade, or go with any new 4 core i5 or better.

3. PandaPandaPanda

PandaPandaPanda Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 950 2gb
    Would one 1060 be faster than 2x950 in sli?

I found a asus 1060 6gb for 270

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    with your system I would not go SLI with any GPU stick with a single GPU the 1060 would be a good gaming GPU for upto 1080p the 950 is not as good the 1060 is in my opinion your best option

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

5. PandaPandaPanda

PandaPandaPanda Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 950 2gb
    I copy!

Well I decided on the asus 1060. I might also pull the trigger on amd 9590 4.7ghz, would that upgrade prevent bottlenecking my 1060?

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I'll put your CPU change on hold, there's lots of changes in the coming 4/6months, and CPUs are the basis you built your PC around.

It also should be able to handle a couple GPU upgrades, meanwhile, the 1060 is a great product, but i've no idea if it beats SLI 950.
    Yet single card as a really safe bet for consistent performance. Note that you can't SLI 1060 afaik

7. PandaPandaPanda

PandaPandaPanda Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 950 2gb
    Well, after doing some further research I decided to keep the gtx 950 for now. It is still a significant upgrade from radeon r5 230 512mb.

I will be saving up my money and getting gtx 980 or gtx 1080 by the end of the year. Hopefully around the same time that new AMD ZEN cpus will come out! I will also get a new nice AM4 motherboard, because if I understand correctly new cpus will have its new socket as well.:banana:

I am planning on building a rig directly for gaming, i could use the current one then as a home theater system. for 55inch 4k ultra hd tv.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Down the road, watch Craigslist for good deals on used video cards. Especially when something new becomes fastest.

These things are like new cars. Resale value plummets quickly.

9. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Good idea keeping the 950, if you bought a GTX 1060, you would have bottlenecked it with the FX 4300, and wasted money.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Dude, if you're getting a new motherboard with new RAM, compare what Intel and AMD would offer when Zen drops. It is more likely that Intel will still have the upper hand. Then you'd build an Intel rig. But I do indeed hope that AMD will compete again in the CPU market.