Can't keep the FTW 1080 stable over 2150mhz

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dburgo, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I have tried utilizing the curve, hitting (L) to lock in voltage thing whatever that does, I can run timespy demo, but freeze up and get booted out of the benchmark after 10 seconds or so of benching. I set the curve to the last voltage at 2157 mhz which basically gives me 2151 or something like that in AF OSD. This is actually the highest its ever clocked as no matter what I did it wouldnt show any other speed higher than 2139, then downclock. Am I missing something here? Why cant this thing just work like the older gfx cards and let you change the core speed to a manual freaking speed and run it there.Like for example maybe it would be more stable at 2145mhz. Who knows? Because the thing wont show a change in speed until 2151. I'm confused also with the voltage. I thought the dang card could only do a max of 1.09v. The curve lets me go up to 1.2. Is it doing it? MSI AF doesnt have an option for me to see this voltage amount in OSD. I have voltage limit selected and it doesnt show numbers it says voltage or Limit or something non amount validated. Anyone have time or thoughts on figuring this thing out? Stupid throttle and Boost 3.0...:grab:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    MSI AB lets you see voltage, its GPU voltage in monitoring and select it in the OSD check box. You are running beta 14 ? i can do it with mine . 1080s will only do 1.930V max unless you run a modded bios.After you increase the power limit to 120% and get that it doesnt matter how much further you move the slider 1.093V is it, mine goes to 150% and it makes no difference.With boost 3 (yes it sucks) you have to remember it goes in 13mhz steps. I set mine to 2138 never see it run at that, 2126 at best and settles at 2114 most of the time.click on the 1.093V box on the curve and set it at the speed you wont than click the tick on the main AB UI and all the boxes after it will line up with the selected box check to make sure they are where you want. Mine goes like this in MHZ 2101>2113>2126>2138>2151. I will take a screenshot of my curve and post it shortly
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  3. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I'd appreciate that, but I dont have anything that says gpu voltage in the queue of things I can select to turn on in OSD with AB. Im using 4.3.0 Beta 14. VID usage ? gonna try that one..

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Try and check AB settings for voltage monitoring or something like that, after you checked the box look for it in the monitoring tab in settings, it could be the last bottom one.

5. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    I forgot that,its on the general tab in settings
    Its one of the things i just do automatically

@Corbus did you try that modded bios on your GPU ?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Yes, i hit a stability wall at 2164mhz, max stable is at 2151, at 2151mhz is stable with original bios so no reason to use the custom one. But of course the boost downclocks at 2114-2126 a lot even though my temp mostly stays under 50 degrees. Stoopid boost 3.0 .

7. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

LOL I used to set that box when I had Rx 480 as well as some other settings for Radeon cards lol! I cant believe I missed that! I've been in the AMD camp far to long..:bed: Thx alot ticking the voltage monitoring now works! Off to fiddle around with this thing!

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I will happily trade you my Gtx's 780 max 1250 Mhz stable for your unstable 2150 1080, lol/ Jesus christ I never thought id see cards rendering at such insane clock speeds, Cant wait till I get one of these!

9. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Dude, why would I get mad? Your not trolling me. That is a perfectly intuitive question that would deserve a good answer. My reasoning is simple. I want to go from 5th place in 3dmark, (for my cpu and gpu combo in advanced search) to hopefully a higher place in the rankings.

The gpu is not stable set above 2139 for gaming at all, even longer than an hour. It actually starts out there, and as it heats up in time, generally stays @ 2101 between 55C - 60C. Then for some random reason, crashes after awhile on PCars, anytime I run 6k or 8k. The below 2139 OC is stable, Ultra settings 8x AA and MSAA at 4k resolution, for hours tho. So if I want to play at higher res, I take a tiny hit in fps (maybe 1 or 2 frames) by setting the GPU 5 to 10mhz slower.

An interesting thing to note tho, which I havent seen many posts about, is memory OCing. I havent tried any higher than +700 mhz but it will work! Unfortunately though, I think maybe the memory timings loosen up automatically somehow, because anything over +495 mhz doesnt show any performance gain anymore. Maybe someone has more info about this? I'm kind of bored with finding all the different possible sweet spots that can be achieved with all of the tuning you can try with this ridiculous Boost 3.0. But make no mistake, GPU OC gives higher noticible Frames for every 13 mhz you can "boost" to at a time. Which also happens to be how the OCing works. I really miss being able to control the exact amount of mhz you can adjust an OC too. :eek:c:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2016
  10. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I am sure you are going to be extremely happy, I was impressed right away from upgrading from an AMD R9 480x