Windows 10 Build 14931

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

Some items of note

This build doesn’t have any notable new features but we do have some app updates we think Windows Insiders should be aware of!

Feedback Hub Update: Feedback Hub has been updated to version 1.1608.2441.0. This update contains some highly requested features from Windows Insiders including dark mode, showing the original feedback author in the feedback details, and a settings page for Feedback Hub. To enable dark mode, just go into settings in Feedback Hub.

Maps App Update: The Maps app was updated to version 5.1609.2580.0+ last week. You can now you can check the traffic to your Home or Work locations at any time by tapping the Traffic icon in the app bar. You will see traffic conditions to Home and Work and your most recently viewed traffic cameras so that you can stay on top of the road conditions along your route. Additionally, the Maps app now follows your system setting for theme preference for light or dark mode. And you can choose to change the map theme too!

[​IMG]

Send SMS with Skype Preview: You can now try out sending and receiving SMS and MMS messages directly from a Windows 10 PC when Skype on their Windows 10 Mobile phone is set as the default messaging app. Give it a try and let us know what you think. For more details, see this blog post from the Skype Team.

[​IMG]

Native support for USB Audio 2.0: We now have native support for USB Audio 2.0 devices with an inbox class driver! This is an early version of the driver that does not have all features enabled, for e.g.: only playback (render) is supported with this version. Recording (capture) support is scheduled to arrive in later iterations. We encourage you to play with the driver and let us know what you think (using the Feedback app). If you already have third party drivers for your USB Audio 2.0 device installed, follow instructions in this blog post to switch to using the inbox class driver.

Other improvements and fixes for PC

• We fixed the issue causing people to experience a black screen when signing out and switching to another user account and unable to log in to that account.
    • We fixed the issue causing the built-in Windows 10 apps such as Calculator, Alarms & Clock, and Voice Recorder to not work after updating to a new build.

Known issues for PC

• While using Narrator and Groove Music, if you navigate to the progress bar while a song is playing then Narrator will continually speak the progress of the song e.g. update with the current time of the progress bar every second. The result is you will be unable to listen to the song or hear any other control you navigate to.
    • Oracle VM VirtualBox will crash on launch after upgrading to this build.
    • Optional components may not work after upgrading to this build. To get it working again, go to “Turn Windows features on or off”, scroll down and check the right optional component and click ok. After a reboot, the optional component will be enabled again.
    • For keyboard users, using tab to navigate the Settings app will not work in this build. The arrow keys should work as a temporary workaround.
    • Tencent apps and games will cause your PC to bugcheck (bluescreen).

Source:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...indows-10-insider-preview-build-14931-for-pc/

2. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    !

This new update installed without my knowledge and I came home to a all fu(ked up computer :bang: A bunch of my apps no longer work, including Spybot Search & Destroy, and all of my video card and windows settings reset.

The biggest problem is that suddenly my USB 3.0 ports don't work and there is some kind of driver issue "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)". I had no problems before this garbage update!

Thanks again Microsoft! I am moving this week and I don't have time for this crap... :mad: :mad:

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

You know these are pre-release testing builds right?

Not intended for your main OS

Not really MS's fault lol

4. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ I didn't install it, it did it while I was at work today and I came home to it. I am going to attempt a system restore.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You joined your PC to the Insiders programme via Settings, Insiders programme = pre-release builds via Windows Update

If you didn't want to have buggy pre-release builds on your machine, you shouldn't have joined the insiders programme on that PC

Windows was only doing what you told it to do

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ I don't recall doing that. Well either way, I just rolled back to the previous version and I'm already back to normal. No more of this update garbage lol

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Joining the insiders programme is the only way Windows can download these pre-release builds automatically

I think I'd probably opt-out of the insiders on that machine and install RS1 final (14393) if you need it stable

Test pre-release insiders builds in VMWare or something :)

Check which build you are on with Start > Run: winver

8. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Thanks man for the heads up just finished updating now and all is well so far:)

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hardly any point testing this crap like before a month away from release lol or they debut a big new feature lol.

10. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Well that will take out a bulk of testers..

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    A month?

Release is planned for around March or so from what I have read and the current expiration timer is set for May 2017, RS2 isn't coming out this year. :)

And yeah you do need to have explicitly joined the fast-ring insider branch or it won't find these OS updates, slow-ring should still be on 14393 / RS1 as none of these builds are yet stable enough (The known issues above and what other people report make that pretty clear.) and well the release-preview ring is for driver and hotfix previews and not full OS builds.

EDIT: Oh and as usual the release notes mainly focus on app stuff and the bigger known issues, there's usually a lot more fixes and such than they report.
    (Some builds have upward of a thousand or so changes.)

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm in the Insiders Preview but I have the Release Preview option selected which means I just get the early updates for v1607 Build 14393 (currently 14393.187) and not the less stable newer builds.

By default, when you opt into the Insider Preview it sets it to the Fast ring which means you get the latest builds as soon as they are released. Either opt out of the Insider Preview or set the updates to Release Preview so you only get updates to the current stable release.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I meant a month before RS2 is released actually :p

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Heh I misunderstood then. :D

But yeah Microsoft does have a lot of internal Q&A testing and whatnot already for these OS builds so these public insider releases are more about gathering feedback and data collection in general since insiders are locked to full telemetry settings. :)
    (Bug reports and such do help of course, several hundred thousand insiders do cover a much wider range of software usage and system specifications than MS themselves can although even so RS1 was a bit problematic when it hit release though after a couple of these cumulative updates it seems the worst of it has been fixed.)

EDIT: Oh and the feedback hub insider app does allow for voting up issues that should be prioritized and suggested features.
    (Also has what Microsoft calls "quests" that the user can perform to test specific scenarios.)

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Fixed :D

Yea I agree, I leave it in VM, but decrypt to ISO each one so when it does start getting interesting I am able to grab the latest without any problem

Fills an hour or two each week / month too lol

16. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    I use it as my main OS. Dont really have too many issues. Some games go funny when it updates to a new build and the nvidia drivers are not reinstall over the top of the new win build. Anyway Start menu seems quicker in this build as the last build was freezing up all over the place.

17. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I run the fast ring on my main machine, I'm a maniac, lol. Only time I don't and opt for the slow ring is when a fast build breaks drivers. That hasn't happened yet with these builds though. I also have virtually everything of importance backed up, so if worse comes to worse I rarely have to hesitate to do a clean install. Only annoyance there is the freaking day it takes to reinstall Skyrim and all my mods.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They've been working quite well. You should expect bugs though, it's the whole point. Find bugs, report issues, and make suggestions for improvement.

19. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090

Haha, i'm the same i always run insider fast ring builds on my main PC, if any issues i can restore my PC via system image. So far only issue i had with the recent insider builds was the xbox wireless dongle not working but that seems to be resolved now.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I used to, back in the Vista / 7 leak days, maybe I'm getting old and boring but I just want a stable machine now

There was a time I would format and clean install if a new Vista leak had a new icon or sound / wallpaper, Windows leaks were interesting and magical to me back then, since Windows 8 they've just been more of the same tbh IMO