Windows 10 Build 14915

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

Improving app and update downloads in Windows 10 with Delivery Optimization

Starting today, Windows Insiders that have Delivery Optimization enabled will be able to download new Insider Preview builds, OS updates, and app updates from other PCs on their local network as well as from other PCs on the Internet. We introduced Delivery Optimization with the Windows 10 November Update giving users the ability to get updates from PCs on a local network and are now enabling the ability to get updates from PCs on the Internet. When enabled, your PC may also send parts of apps or updates that you have downloaded using Delivery Optimization to other PCs. To check your settings for Delivery Optimization, go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options and choosing “Choose how updates are delivered.”

[​IMG]

When Delivery Optimization is used on your PC to download apps and OS updates from other PCs on your network or the Internet for the first time, you will see a notification in the Action Center.

In addition to downloading apps, app updates and OS updates from the Windows Update servers, Delivery Optimization will look for nearby PCs on your local network or on the Internet that have Delivery Optimization enabled and find the app or OS update you need that may be even closer to your PC.

Rather than downloading an entire file from one machine, Delivery Optimization breaks the download into small pieces and uses what is assessed as the fastest, most reliable source for each piece of the file. Delivery Optimization is also mindful of local disk usage, use of cellular networks, battery life, and other network activity.

It is also integrated with and builds on the existing security measures in Windows Update and Windows Store to check the authenticity of each file downloaded from other PCs. Particularly for PCs with challenging network conditions, this is designed to provide a better and more reliable download experience.

Delivery Optimization is on by default. If you don’t wish to use Delivery Optimization, you can turn it off by going to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options and choosing “Choose how updates are delivered”. You can also choose instead to use Delivery Optimization only for your local network.

And system administrators can use Group Policies or MDM policies to configure these settings as well as manage advanced settings such as extending the definition of a local network beyond the LAN to allow PCs in remote offices to collaborate seamlessly.

Since introducing Delivery Optimization for PCs on your local network in the Windows 10 November Update, we have seen more and more people adopt and benefit from this feature in the past year, anywhere from small businesses to large enterprises with thousands of Windows 10 PCs. We have seen a 30% – 50% reduction in Internet bandwidth usage required to keep multiple PCs on the same local network up-to-date with the latest Insider Preview builds and apps from the Store.

Please help us test this feature and share your feedback! Today we are also publishing a Quest so more Windows Insiders can try this feature out on the next flight and provide additional feedback on this experience we can use during our development of Windows. For more information on Delivery Optimization in Windows 10 – check out this FAQ.

Improvements and fixes for PC

• We fixed the issue with being unable to use the power button on the Start menu.
    • We fixed the issue causing Cortana’s text to speech capabilities to not work. Cortana should be able to read text messages out loud for you, tell jokes, sing, or give verbal prompts as expected.
    • We fixed the issue causing the Settings app to crash on certain editions of Windows 10 when navigating to different settings pages due to a missing .dll file.
    • We made a number of improvements to translations, including fixing an issue in Windows Update where it would say “your phone is up to date” in French when confirming that your PC was up to date.
    • Changing functionality via Settings > Update & security > Windows Insider Program such as your ring settings should now work again on this build. For more information – see this forum post.
    • We fixed a compatibility issue from a recent platform change that causes apps such as Yahoo Mail, Trivia Crack, Google and the Skype Translator Preview app to crash.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing a delay in Mail notification toasts appearing.
    • We fixed an issue where the “Open with” dialog’s “Look for another app on this PC” link wasn’t working if the dialog appeared after using the “Run” dialog to open a file with an unassociated file type.
    • We have updated the Connect flyout so that the clickable area for each device listed now spans across the full width of the flyout.
    • We fixed an issue where if a Chinese Input Method Editor is active it could result in logging in to not succeed after device goes into and is woken up from Connected Standby.
    • We fixed an issue where for certain websites in Microsoft Edge, using CTRL + A to select all text and then copying it and trying to paste it into Notepad wouldn’t paste anything.
    • We fixed an issue where importing favorites into Microsoft Edge from Internet Explorer would fail if the Favorites folder had been redirected to another folder, for example “C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Favorites”.

Known issues for PC

• Adobe Acrobat Reader crashes when you try to launch it.
    • You may experience a black screen when signing out and switching to another user account and will be unable to log in to that account. A reboot of your PC should allow you to log in to that account.
    • Bash may not work after upgrading to this build. To get it working again, go to “Turn Windows features on or off”, scroll down and check “Windows Subsystem for Linux (beta)” and click ok. After a reboot, Bash should work again.
    • The Settings app may crash when going to Settings > Personalization.

Source:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...nsider-preview-build-14915-for-pc-and-mobile/

2. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Terrible build. My USB network adapter stopped working and also my Xbox One Wireless adapter. They appeared in device manager but were both INOP.

Edit: Recovered to 14905... All is well again.. Beware of this build.. Switched to slow ring until next preview release

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well to be fair, you are supposed to be testing them on a test rig, not your main machine, and reporting bugs, not reverting to the last stable build :)

4. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Had no reason to till this one. I've delt with all issues before but not having a functioning network adapter makes it a bit tough to report anything. ;)

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    True, although you could do it from another machine, doesn't have to be the machine running that build that you use the feedback tool on

I wouldn't run builds this early as my daily driver, when they reach RTM Escrow I get tempted, but atm RS2 builds are just broken RS1 builds really

I install them in VMWare just to keep it updated, but that's about it

6. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Confirming Xbox One Wireless adapter not working with this build.

7. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    same issue otherwise the build is fine

Seems there is already some people reporting the issue on the feedback hub

seems to be general issue with this build

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I had this issue on my laptop and I had to manually reinstall the driver. Take a look at the link below. It's an old thread but still pertains to this issue.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/490123938430246727/

The driver version you want is 21.50.45.656

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Maybe there were changes in the USB drivers that a particular driver version doesn't like. Almost all changes to the code are not mentioned in the build details, only key points.

10. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    360 wireless adapter does not work either. Rolled back to a different driver and that worked.

12. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I had hopes for this but it didn't work for me.
    Device manager shows "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (Code 37)".
    I already left feedback on the app, but still have no upvotes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    have you tried manually uninstalling the device from device manager, rebooting, then plugging it back in? I know it sounds silly, but I had to ask.

14. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Um, not exactly that.
    What is the procedure you suggest then?
    Does it include the driver swap for that 21.50.45.656 version?

Just for the record, the problem is intrinsical to this build.
    A Windows To Go installation of this build (ie, fresh install) still doesn't work.
    An identical WTG of build 14905 does work.
    I say this because you say an old Steam Community thread applies, and I don't really think it does.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    was UAC bug where it dont display the prompt in "always on top" fixed or is it still getting hidden be hind windows, my VM still has the issue.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is that UAC bug also responsible for unplugging USB drive notification?

I would click eject, and then expect it to notify me that is is safe to remove... but never does... I was thinking it could be that UAC is turned off... just wondering if that could be the reason.. I can't test it as I'm back on Windows 8.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    who knows anything is possible with microsoft

18. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I don't believe it's a bug, it happens with the stable release 14393 as well. It seems that the disconnecting timeout got a lot lower so it's safe to remove as soon as you click it. It still notifies if it cannot be removed.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that would be dumb seeing the point of message to tell people it safe to remove, then again we talking microsoft here