GTX 1060 not working with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by acidrain42, Aug 28, 2016.

1. acidrain42

acidrain42 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    Hi, I bought a MSI GTX 1060 6GT OC yesterday and no matter what I do, the mobo / bios won't recognize it.
    When I boot, one of two things happen:
    If the integrated gpu is set to enabled or auto, it boots using this one
    If the integrated gpu is set to disabled, i get 1 long beep and 3 short beeps (AGP error).

I did try multiple configurations: plugging both GPUs to different monitor, with multiple cables, plugging only the GTX, upgrading the bios to the most recent version, forcing the boot in windows 8 mode and windows 8 whql mode. I even bought a new PSU (mine was 8 y/o, so I got a EVGA W500). It is worth noting also that whether I plug the 6pin cable or not, I get exactly the same results, on both PSUs.

I can also confirm the card is working, we tried it in the store in their test rig and it works. My mobo seems to be fine also, if I plug back my 660 Ti, it works as expected.

Any ideas before I get a refund?

Thanks

2. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Did you check in the bios the settings for priority of graphic settings should be set to pci express maybe I have also onboard and pci express card used just fiddle around with it

3. acidrain42

acidrain42 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    Yes, forgot to mention I did that also. If I choose PEG, it will still boot on the igpu and in the bios, the setting is back to Auto.

4. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I have multiple monitors enabled and it is set to auto and the second setting is IGPU enabled to get my main monitor working that is attached to my GTX 1070

If you disable multiple monitor booting it should pick the pci express lane

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Are you on the latest bios?

6. acidrain42

acidrain42 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    I get the same results with only my monitor connected with DVI to the GTX.

First I plug it in the igpu, get in the bios settings, set display to either peg or auto (same result in the end), shut down, plug in the GTX and boot. I still get no image, but at this point, if I plug back in the igpu, I see the computer booting.

7. acidrain42

acidrain42 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    Yes. I was originally on the F14 bios, which is the latest stable from 2012/08/23 and I upgraded to F16h, a beta bios from 2016/07/11. Same result on both bios

8. Nwanko

Nwanko Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW 2151/5000
    Try this bios i think its the F16g modded, i'm running it over a year, good for overclocking,stable,cool temps. And i just bought a evga 1070 FTW and its working normal, i just had to reset the bios when i changed to the 1070 in order to post it normal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxigfmz9iacfwru/z77xud5h.bin?dl=0

9. acidrain42

acidrain42 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    I flashed it, did a CMOS reset, and.... same problem :(
    This is getting annoying, this mobo should clearly support a 1060 if your 1070 works.. FYI I forgot to mention this is the second 1060 I'm trying. I bought a Zotac first and returned it thinking it was defective. We tried it in the store and it worked. Then I changed it for the MSI and it's exactly the same problem.

10. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE

11. acidrain42

acidrain42 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    Holy s h i t!! I got it working!!!
    Still unsure how though.. I did a CMOS reset using the jumper (before that I would use the button on the top right of the board). It would still boot on the igpu. But reading that thread, I noticed something about forcing PCIE3.0.. Found a setting in Miscellaneous Setting -> Peg Gen3 Configuration and set it to Gen3 instead of auto. I also had to disable the igpu and set init to PEG.

I'm also using the modded bios from Nwanko. At this point I'm too afraid to change anything in this perfect balance that made it work!

Saddest thing is I'm going camping for three days, so I'll have to wait until thursday to test this bad boy!

12. Nwanko

Nwanko Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW 2151/5000
    Once its showing and posting normal, you can apply your oc if you have one or change any settings and it will work normal. Glad you got it working.

FYI: had the same issue twice, also had it when i bought this board second hand, my new 7950 also didn't work till i fully reseted cmos. Almost sent the board to RMA had it packed up and everything and then tried it once more and it finaly worked.

Happy gaming :D

13. engr_alas27

engr_alas27 Guest

GPU:
    AORUS 1080ti Water
    Dont forget to save your bios profile ;)

14. hey there.. so i have a z77x-ud5h motherboard too with a sandy 2500k on it..

i want to buy a gtx 1060. will it work without any bios update ? i'm using the F16 bios from 2013 -.- a gtx 980ti was recognized today without any problem but the water pump was broken from the start (bought an evga 980ti hybrid) so i'm thinking about buying a 1060 instead.

15. Nwanko

Nwanko Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW 2151/5000
    I think 980ti beats the 1060, why would you go to a worse card?

16. ya_pupseg

ya_pupseg Guest

GPU:
    gainward 1080 ti gs
    anybody can load bios profile that works with 10** nvidia cards somewhere? please! still struggling with this issue

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this board requires a cmos clear when changing graphics cards because it doesn't clear the dmi pool

18. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Go to BIOS:

M.I.T. -> Miscellaneous Settings -> Peg Gen3 Configuration -> Set to Gen3 (instead of Auto).

;)

https://i.**********/4d360SQF/mb-manual-ga-z77x-ud5h-e.png

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  19. ya_pupseg

ya_pupseg Guest

GPU:
    gainward 1080 ti gs
    are you personally have that vga with ud5h? i got a lot of failed starts with gen3 setting on. maybe there is some other settings involved:(
    btw - after cmos reset almost every first restart is successful, but when i go in bios and change\save settings - next start is 95% freeze at gigabyte uefi dualbios screen
    what bios ver do you have?
    i tried 16k\j, 16mod11, 15q...gonna try 14, but its so old...

20. ya_pupseg

ya_pupseg Guest

GPU:
    gainward 1080 ti gs
    oh man...i lost count of my cmos resets last days :(