AMD Vega To Launch 1H 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

usually it does, but ...hmm..
    if it was 1-3, why not call it q1

3. Devilhunter12

Devilhunter12 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Lightning
  4. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    by then i'm sure nvidia will have an answer for it but i will not buy another nvidia product again.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I am thinking since it is going to be a year from now. It will be a bigger change in arch then Polaris.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    But it's taking too long. Vega should sweep the fool with Pascal or they're in big trouble when next gen cards from NVIDIA come out. I'm kinda starting to wonder why they even bothered to release Polaris. Just a die shrinked Hawaii would have been the same, more or less.

I guess the reason is exactly that. They might just about manage to release it in 1H time window.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    deleted

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  8. SavagePotato

SavagePotato Guest

GPU:
    Quadro M6000
    Summer 2017 is far too late...

If we assume Vega 11 is 50% larger Vega 10 which we already know to be 64 CUs then we're talking around 15tflop at 1200mhz. That's basically an overclocked Titan X, one year late.

9. Snajlen

Snajlen Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix 1080ti
    I dont know why but i got the feeling that the small vega will be released in October along with Battlefield 1 Launch "its just a hunch" , but even if what you said reveals to be true , it aint that bad "an overclocked titan x" one year later
    with a lil difference , i doubt that big vega will cost 1200$.
    maybe within the first half they will release the entire lineup.

10. GPU

GPU Guest

@ $1500 +13% tax CND I don't care if the TITAN X had come out in 2015

http://www.ncix.com/detail/pny-geforce-gtx-titan-x-76-128292.htm

no sale here so buy as many as you can before they go oos where you live.
    and for me money is not a issue ,

11. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    wasted

12. Demrock

Demrock Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Boost 7950x2
    Sadly by then so many people bought a new gpu that it will give a massive marketshare to Nvivida once again...

I was willing to wait for this holiday / Q1 at the most but summer next year is not going to happen...

AMD have missed a whole lot of people in the high end department this year that wanted to upgrade from 290 / 290x /390 / 390x fury / fury x/ 970 / 980 / 980ti that are looking to switch to AMD or just want to upgrade and waited what AMD had in store.

1070 and 1080 will sell a fcton this year and the next -_-

Big big oppertunity missed for AMD and a great loss to regain that much needed marketshare.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's not the interesting part of the presentation to me, rather this:

Basically, nothing for laptops for a long time.

And as for the console people, here is an idea of the revenue for AMD from consoles:

Though the bright side is that it looks like they are focusing on the server/datacenter/cloud market primarily.. finally.

14. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    If AMD can keep things going in new titles like they have with Doom Vulkan and Deus Ex MD things really aren't looking that bad at all. We're seeing in some titles Fury X sitting between 1070 and 1080 and RX480 between 1060 and 1070. Obviously Titan X(P) is in a whole different league, but the pricing makes it somewhat of an outlier.

15. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    1H aka end of first half -> June ... IF they don't delay again

Even if Vega will greatly outperform 1070/1080 (I doubt so):
    1) Nvidia will have pretty much the exclusive on high end cards for a whole year (!)
    2) By June 2017 Nvidia will already have an answer to Vega imho (1080ti)

As a happy 290 owner I was waiting for Vega to upgrade, but at this point I might as well get a 1070... the only thing that has held me back has been the price, but if Vega is so far away, I don't see Pascal prices dropping anytime soon... might as well buy now.

Shame :/

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Those features aren't selling points for everyone. Personally, I really couldn't care less about PhysX. I haven't touched Inspector since I move away from SLI and Gameworks support isn't a game breaker either. Every cross platform game is going to have to be optimized for AMD hardware anyway since XBox One and PS4 both use AMD hardware. If the devs remove any optimizations specific to AMD hardware from cross-platform games, AMD has legal recourse against them unless the devs can prove that such optimizations will break the game. How many devs are going to risk it?

17. SavagePotato

SavagePotato Guest

GPU:
    Quadro M6000

I agree those features matter little, what matters is performance and cost mainly. Power consumption matters only insofar as temperatures do for most people.

By summer of next year the next line of GPUs will be rolling out with the X70 part probably matching a stock Titan X. So by the time Vega 11 becomes relevant, it will be a lower high-end part like the 1070.

Yeah it would be nice to see Vega 10 in October, should tell us how Vega 11 will perform as well

Also worth noting that while AMD can always bring the fight in terms of pricing, they're in no position to do this.

With Polaris on 14nm GloFo many of us thought AMD would finally be able to sell smaller (less expensive) dies at the same price as NV's larger offerings.

14nm GloFo vs 16nm FF should be around a 10% size advantage.

GP106 is smaller than Polaris 10; 200mm^2 vs 232mm^2 on P10.

So 180mm^2 vs 232mm^2 in GloFo terms.

This means, barring large architectural changes, that Vega will not only be more expensive because it's bigger, but also because of HBM.

So while it may make people happy to see them undercutting NV's offerings, it's not sustainable imo.

That said if they are able to clock 20% higher without outrageous power consumption increases it should be fine.

Vega 10 is already confirmed to be essentially Fiji; 64 CUs for 4096 shaders.

50% die size increase seems likely so we are talking around 360mm^2

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  18. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    So no competition and price fall for G1070 and G1080 for new 8 months, or until Nvidia will deliver even more expensive HBM models..

19. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Great... prices will remain the same for the next year. I guess the wait will continue until 4K HDR screens become mainstream before we some of us upgrade.

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    So, AMD has no high end GPU option anytime soon. That is not good for prices nor for pushing to make even better tech.