Crazy idea about testing eye perception

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sniperbr0, Aug 27, 2016.

1. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right forum section for this thread, or if anyone has thought about this before.

I got a 144hz monitor and tried a few reaction time tests, then I thought about a different test:

what if you have a black screen which is updating at 144fps in a 144hz refresh rate, and you suddenly have 1 frame in white. Would that be noticeable? Would this vary from person to person? If it is not noticeable, then would it become noticeable when we reduce the refresh rate and FPS, like to 60fps at 60hz, would 1 frame then be noticeable? Also, trying this in white with 1 frame black, would it be less or more noticeable than the inverse?

I haven't seen this kind of test around and do not know if this is a valid test to measure eye perception, what do you guys think?

2. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    The Air Force did a similar test a long time ago, except they flashed the image of a plane on the screen for 1/220th of a second in the same background and it was noticeable.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even if you can notice the 'blip' of the image that quickly, and you find the threshold of perceptibility, it doesn't mean that having an equivalent refresh rate is any better than a slower refresh rate. You might see the frame, but when you view frames in succession they blend. If this didn't happen you simply wouldn't have a film industry, since all you would see is 24 stills a second rather than seemingly fluid motion. Of course, 48 fps is better for motion clarity, but there is a limit to this.

4. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    The reason 24fps seems fluid is because of the recorded motion blur. Static digital images don't have that which is why you need 60fps+ to perceive it as smooth. 48fps is not fluid at all.