Obduction is now available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Cyan has announced the release of its latest adventure game, Obduction. The game is powered by Unreal Engine 4 and supports NVIDIA’s HDR, Simultaneous Multi-Projection, and Ansel. ...

Obduction is now available

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm a pretty big fan of the Myst series so I bought this last night. Only played for about an hour but I already love it. Game has some issues, crashes a lot and there is a lot of loading, but it captures the Myst feel and I really like the world Cyan builds.

3. SeRiToNiN

SeRiToNiN Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1070 6GB
    If this wasn't some obscure indie title for pc everyone would be complaining about all the things you're complementing lol.

4. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Errr, what?
    CYAN is a well-known company, along with uber-well known Myst (though for that it is pretty much a "must" to be over 30 years old...)
    Denial was actually praising Myst-feel and world... which only series-haters would complain about.

5. SeRiToNiN

SeRiToNiN Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1070 6GB
    A game crashing wouldn't then still get highly touted. I'm just pointing out the biased favortism of indie titles by pc gamers. Well known company or not, they're still small and considered an indie dev.

If this were a console port the sky would be falling. That's all I was trying to say.

I'm sure it's fun, it looks fantastic. But these titles are always "excused" of bugs, crashes, etc. The PC community is very biased to certain devs and game types. Just annoying.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is the Syberia series also their game?

Edit : Nah, looks like its not. :p

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Myst has a pretty huge following so straight away this game will gain a lot of publicity and scrutiny so if there is any game breaking issues i'm pretty confident the Devs will be working on it, which is not always apparent with all game companies.

Dice for example have been known to not fix a certain game breaking bug for over a year. Why is that you may well ask? Well because usually for a lot of Dev teams soon as a game goes public they are already working on other new titles and just find it hard to find the time needed for fixes/patches.

The problem i have with this game is that it's really meant to be experienced through a VR Headset and was built from the ground up to be a VR game.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I've played for about 3 hours now and I haven't seen any major bugs or crashing. The framerate dips and stutters a little when using the camera but other than that it runs fine for me.

I don't think I've made any significant progress in the game though and I feel like I have to re-learn how to play these types of games all over again.

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I keep trying to run the graphics higher then my system can handle.:wanker:

although some new amd driver would be nice....

tried running the game at 4k with texture resolution set to 200%...... and got 5fps...

so for now 1440p with at 150% and getting 15-30fps,:infinity:

fun trying to figure out the puzzles and then going online trying find help, only to find out nobody knows.......

or that I been doing things out of order......

10. Cptobvious

Cptobvious Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC
    Correction 25+. I'm 28 and this was one of the first 3D games I ever played. Great memories with Riven too which is why I Kickstarted this and really enjoyed the first hour so far. Captures the feel of Myst, although feels a lot like the Witness as well.

11. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Out of curiosity, is it the steam or GOG version that's crashing? I'm in two minds about buying this game from GOG due to not being able to rebind keys, which any developer who doesn't allow key rebinding should be ashamed of themselves really. WSAD has never been a key combination I've ever used, yet seems to be first choice for some devs? Posts on steam forums suggest the keys in Obduction strafe on the A & D keys yet just turn the character on the Left/Right Arrow keys? Patch needed with key rebinding then I might buy it in a sale :)

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    34 here and I have the riven box with the ....5 cd I think. worn out the cd rom in my old computer back in the day from playing it.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I didn't complement it's faults, I complemented it's strengths. The game feels and plays like previous Myst titles. The atmosphere, puzzles and stories I've done so far in the game all feel extremely well thought out and very rewarding.

That being said, the game does have issues. The levels are generally pretty small and you're constantly moving between them and thus you're often loading. I also had some crashing during the menu when setting up the graphics settings/character and stuff. After I got in game I didn't crash. Frame rate also tends to dip in certain levels, more than I'd like.

Overall I enjoy the game despite that stuff - but I'm also a huge fan of the previous games.

I have the steam version

14. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Simply quoting for so much truth

15. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    i had lots of fun with myst & riven when i was a kid, they were such intriguing games. had a hell of a time with the cable-car maze, if anyone remembers that part...drove me nuts.

havent played a good puzzle game in a long time, probably since grim fandango. i might have to pick this up.

16. SavagePotato

SavagePotato Guest

GPU:
    Quadro M6000
    I played for about an hour, i got the power back on and I zapped my first red things with the blue thing on rails. I didn't witness any loading at all, unless you mean... the transition across the barrier... god dammit you spoiled the game

17. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This game makes The Witness look like a joke. No comparison.

18. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Maybe by the strictest definition of the word. Cyan isn't some indie company pushing a 'retro 5bit' game with 'avant-garde gameplay', they're well known and established as very competent in designing games.

As far as bugs go, it's different with smaller developers. There are higher expectations placed on companies like EA or Ubicrap because they have enormous teams for their games and they push release dates only to have countless bugs anyway.

Bugs aren't the end of the world if they're avoidable and not game breaking. I'm good as long as they get fixed in a reasonable amount of time. If this were a retail release I'd have different expectations.