AMD Releases More Architecture Details on ZEN

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As we get closer and closer to release, AMD today once again shared more info about Zen. Yesterday AMD talked to media about aÂ*ZEN microarchitecture deep-dive presentation from Hot Chips, and shared ...

AMD Releases More Architecture Details on ZEN

2. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Can someone give us a TLDR for tech dummies (I Like tech but by any mean i do understand like 95% of that thingies) Thanks i guess.

3. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Zen is looking really good on paper, i hope amd delivers.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Still missing the most important piece of information we don't yet know officially: The default clocks. The fact they aren't including them makes me worried. It seems unlikely it could match Intel's CPUs with much lower clocks, so what are they afraid of? AMD's GPU architecture is different from Nvidia's, which explains the unfortunate clock restrictions of Polaris, but AMD's CPUs shouldn't be crippled in a similar manner, unless Samsung's process technology sucks.

5. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    its a significant step up from previous designs in efficiency & complexity. the cores dont share resources (aside from the cache) & that plus a much stronger instruction per clock means that these chips might be pretty damn competitive if theyre priced right.

6. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800

Just a wild guess, but maybe they're waiting on a statistically significant number of chips to be fabricated so they can determine the best compromise of yield vs clockspeed vs thermals?

Does anybody know how long it takes to process a 14/16nm wafer compared to say a 28nm wafer and what kind of chip quantities are nested on each wafer?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    For 8core variant

Base is 3Ghz, turbo is yet to be revealed. Im guessing 3.4 or up to 3.6Ghz.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That would be a good starting point. Once the chip matures and a few revisions happen I hope this CPU smacks Intel down a rung or two.

9. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Depends on the size of the chips(mm²)

10. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You can't say that the base is 3ghz, the only thing we know is that based on a on a highly unreliable source that the engineering sample is 3ghz which says nothing about the final product except that its a minimum of 3ghz if the rumor is valid.
    Personally, I think that the bench was a probably a fake.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought there was also going to be a 6-core release? That's the one I'd prefer. I don't really care about having a 16-threaded CPU. By the time I can actually take advantage of that many threads, I'm going to want something new. I just want enough threads to keep up with games (which will likely remain at 8 threads in most cases, due to the consoles) with a little extra for things like VR-specific processes.

I suppose if there isn't a 6-core, I'll go for the 4-core. Knowing AMD's upgrade path, the quad core will likely hold me over until they're capable of working out better revisions. I suspect the 2nd release of Zen will be significantly improved.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You talking about Intel CPUs.

Zen looks like it all about core count.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Huh? Each Zen core has 2 threads.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I just want the Zen APU!

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    4c/8t with a full Polaris 10 GPU!!!!!! Count me in. That is an awesome budget rig.

16. Chris16v

Chris16v Member

GPU:
    Asus 770 GTX
    Really looking forward to a full review. Heres hoping its good and the price is right too!

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    the "default clocks" don't mean anything, so how is that the most important piece of information?

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i wonder how much STP they gona sacrifice for those 24c chips but like i been saying the DAY software actual use multi core/thread correctly and scale correctly AMD will be laughing to the bank, Atlest till Intel actual tries to make better chip

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Why would the 24 core chips perform worse for STP than the 4 or 8 cores? Anyway even if that is the case, I don't suspect that really matters. Once you go beyond 8 cores, single-threaded tasks [generally] are no longer a priority or concern.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Default clocks are only meaningless if you're planning to buy the product regardless of it's performance. Being that this could easily be a "make or break" product for AMD, it has to clock high enough to be competitive. At the clock rate indicated by the supposed leaks, it's not going to perform well enough to compete with Intel.