Terrible Performance with R9 280 [HELP]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Syxx_Pakk, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Syxx_Pakk

Syxx_Pakk Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    My card recently died, I was using a older card but it still performed fine for what I was doing (XFX Radeon 7790). After it died I was using an old card I had in my spare PC (GTS 250).

Well my friend had a R9 280 that he had bought awhile ago. He had experienced issues with his Motherboard where it would default to his onboard all the time (MSI Board) so he stopped using the card and bought a different one.

So, I'm using the R9 280 he gave me and will sell me cheap if I want it. Problem is I am getting horrible performance. I'm mainly just playing Diablo 3 and other basic non graphic intensive games (too busy working on my degree) Problem is I'm getting worse performance than I was with the GTS 250. I'm getting about 42 FPS in Diablo on medium settings, sometimes jumping to 70 or so in non busy areas. Even worse 1080P or 4K YouTube Videos are choppy and stutter. I almost always play a game while also having a video on my 2nd monitor, I can't even attempt this otherwise either the game or video will drop to like 10 FPS.

I have tried different drivers and after research was suggest the 16.4.1 drivers. Issue still persists, I messed around with settings etc to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

TL;DR
    - R9 280 card running worse than GTS 250, YouTube is even choppy at 1080P+, Cannot use dual monitor for video on one (youtube) game on other or I get 10FPS or so in game or video playback.

*EDIT*
    Exact model is Gigabyte R9 280 - GV R928WF3OC-3GD

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    What is the cpu that you paired the 280 with?dont tell me its the one in your desc

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Some updated info on your system would help.

4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Quoted for truth! LOL :puke2: Chrome and what not can be very demanding playing internet videos i guess....it is possible he's dxva is not functional (why i cant imagine) but if it was.....yea that cpu wouldn't be capable of doing to much....When my last card went bad, and i had to run with MS driver it was almost funny playing high bit BD movies especially with SVP.

I think these apps for checking to see if DXVA is functional? http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/DXVAChecker.html regardless running a 4 year old amd card with a 10 year (or is it 12 lol) old low AMD end cpu is NOT going to work out to well.....its just to CPU bottle necked. Nvidia cards are rumored to perform better with very low end cpus in dx games and could be why he's bottle necked worse now?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

5. Syxx_Pakk

Syxx_Pakk Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    Hah! No that is so ancient lol.
    I have a i5 3570K, not currently overclocked 8GB RAM running off of an SSD.

Just a bit more info, I used GPU-Z and noticed it is sitting at about 50-60% GPU Load even when idle on my desktop. With the GTS 250 off another friend and it sits fine at 3-5% GPU Load when idle on desktop.

Also with the GTS 250 it seems to have a weird crash.. but I think he may have had this issues prior with the card, but it will crash out (like a VPU recovery?) then come back in, but sometimes it will crash out then completely log me out of windows 10. Temps are fine etc - Not worried too much about this crash but just for some extra info incase it is pertinent.

6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Wipe every amd and nvidia driver leftovers with DDU through safe mode.
    Reseat the card again.
    Install the latest beta drivers off of amd's site.
    Run GPU-Z's 2d test and make sure the gpu is hitting 99% usage.
    If the gpu is hitting 99% then it should now be fine in games, however
    if its hovering even a bit under 99% like shall we say 95 then something is
    off with the PSU. Check if your PSU can deliver the amps through the v12 rail.
    a card like the 280 wants like 25A.

7. Syxx_Pakk

Syxx_Pakk Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    Just did all those things and issues still persist (I actually was using DDU again and swapping back to my R9 280 while I wrote my last reply). GPU hits 99% and my PSU does 30A 12V Rail.

I'll test further and see if there is any improvements.

8. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    What about the clocks of the card? Are they stuck on 300/150

9. Syxx_Pakk

Syxx_Pakk Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    Nope, I checked that first and they are not stuck at 300/150.

10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    What about temps? What exact model themaltake PSU do you have? how old?

11. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    its clear you have some program or app thats running in the background. Post a screenshot of the task manger with all running apps, cause gpus just dont use them selves like that. Could be Gaming evolved or plays tv type app trying to record or something....or some kind of mining virus working your gpu..Simple as that

12. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Yeah only thing left is some app doing bad stuff. Had many issues with amd
    cards and usually if clocks and usage is fine then its a program at fault.

13. Syxx_Pakk

Syxx_Pakk Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    I'm not clueless when it comes to Windows and PC's. I don't have anything running heavily in the background. If that was the case my 250 GTS would also be experiencing issues. There is nothing running when I first boot and idle other than very low usage background programs. I have over 70% ram available and Processor usage is basic idle usage of a few %'s. I actually even disabled all start up items via task manager > start up to be sure, same issues still.

As I stated earlier the GPU Load is idling at a very high percent only on the AMD card, I think at this point the card itself may be faulty.

14. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    We're not saying you're clueless but a second pair of eyes wouldn't hurt. It's just 1 pic.

15. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    This statement only proves how little you know about pcs. If your not going to listen to sound advice well let you figure this out on your own, after all you already have this figured out right?

There are known Malware/Virus's that will use AMD cards to mine for crypto currency! So please dont argue with us and post a screen shot of all apps running in the task manager! The last case i saw had an easily identifiable .exe running in the task manager that checked out to be the problem.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

16. Syxx_Pakk

Syxx_Pakk Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    It wasn't meant to sound snarky or rude, I was just meaning I have an idea of what I'm doing. Hard to discern via text so I understand, it wasn't meant in that way.

Also yes I plan to upload a pic after I get back home I'm currently out.

17. Syxx_Pakk

Syxx_Pakk Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    Here's some pics of my processes and GPU-Z status.

Part 1:
    http://imgur.com/BRi5YNP

Part 2:
    http://imgur.com/5RkHdMq

New oddity that's come up while testing:
    -Running Full Screen or Windowed Fullscreen I get FPS issues
    -If I run Windowed and then maximize the window (still see my taskbar) I get about 120FPS with no dips.

Very confused on this one.

*EDIT*

If I tab out of a game I have noticeable lag in my OS. If scrolling through folders (win 10) or a webpage (Chrome) it is very sluggish and laggy, if I scroll the wheel or grab the bar it will be noticeably lagged behind my movement.

It almost seems like something in the window environment is causing this issue and in turn causing a GPU load and then causing poor performance in games.

Note: CPU is not bottlenecked and sits at about 12% CPU usage while doing this scrolling. Memory is only at bout 65% used.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  18. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    yea but something is eating away 33% gpu usage at idle? I would go thru the entire list a force close every app until there were no more open. Gpu's dont just use themselves...So try that, and should only take ya a couple min. If i had to guess the xbox app is trying to record or something stupid. keep an eye on the gpu usage and when you close the right one, you'll find the issue!:)

You'll probably find a hole bunch of game recording in your video folder! Where did those come from! lol If you close everything possible and something is still eating 40% of your gpu then its time to run some serous malware/virus scans:wanker:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Please try turn off or end of process for Java and Logitech and Xbox Game Bar and if you are running Dropbox then end process for now

Last time remember this does happen to me,high GPU clocks at idle,disabled Java then Corsair Link or Dropbox and few other apps which caused higher GPU clocks,its doesn't matter if its Nvidia or AMD GPU,both are same or similar,my TX will be running at 1126MHz with Dropbox or Corsair Link or even with Java running in background and if those apps running in background,gaming is pain in arse as my clocks are as above 1126MHz ..

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    You should try installing MSI Afterburner if you haven't already. Once installed, open it and look for the lower case "i" to open up the information panel. Scroll down a bit and look for the part labeled "active 3D processes" and upload a screenshot here.