MIT Spinout Claims Double Battery Life

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    An MIT spinout is preparing to commercialize a novel rechargable lithium metal battery that offers double the energy capacity of the lithium ion batteries that power many of today’s consumer...

MIT Spinout Claims Double Battery Life

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Story does not exist ... like awesome long lasting batteries :p

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, even double the energy density sounded too good to exist. Super batteries and a sudden inheritance of 15 million dollars from Africa neither exist.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks, fixed !

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Would be nice, sad part is, as soon as the battery life's there, companies will probably use that energy for more performance instead of going for the same power saving technologies and make devices work longer on batteries...

But I've read them researching on lithium metal batteries for years now...

6. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Proably the big guys will, but they'll always be the smaller companies like one plus who will gladly capitalise on that niche.

Although far as I'm concerned there's no reason for anything more powerful than the current high end phones and no need for any screen above 1440, so God knows what they would spend that energy on.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe it's true, only that one+ has their own problems, and the sad part is, their hardware should support higher standards that just don't work, like quickcharge for instance. Cheaper batteries, although large ones.

Yeah, I have a 1440p phone right now, and to be honest I have no idea who had the idea to use such a resolution on anything that small. It just doesn't bring any value to actual usage.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Isn't it meant to make the phone powered VR goggles work better? 1080p isn't much there.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yeah it is. I still think it's ridiculous that they're slapping the 1440p displays in phones for the 5% or less people that actually use them for VR, at the expense of battery life for the rest of us. Wish they'd keep it to dedicated VR headsets.

I will happily be "downgrading" to the Nexus Sailfish from the Nexus 6P when they come out (mainly because 5.7" is way too big for a phone).

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Battery tech has very slow and gradual improvements that happen over time, if this is real and feasibly, it will have a huge impact. Suddenly all-electric vehicles will be an actual practical reality, instead of a niche.

Also Apple can finally make that 0.1mm iPhone :p

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Does that mean next year I can get smartphone that will hold charge for week or 2 before needs charging???

My current cell phone hold charge for 2 week, well it did till the battery got depleted now a full charge will be dead in 1 minute if I take call, which is great excuse for me not to answer my phone seeing i hate being on the phone anyway :)

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Probably so, but 1440p screens have been around for two years already, before VR was marketed as the next big thing, which I don't think it will ever be, personally.

Unfortuantely we won't get everlasting batteries. They'll probably charge us extra for a phone with half the battery (but same usage time) than now, because it's new tech :eyes:

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's only Apple with iPhone, like PrMinister said. In Asia many manufacturers are instead trying to jam in as much battery capacity as possible. Apple always charges much more for the same tech than others, so in that sense nothing changes. Apple's customers are happier if the price increases a bit as they feel they own an even more premium device.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That is the dumbest comment I've read all day.

Newsflash, many manufacturers do the same thing :stewpid:

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I have to say, I too think this won't be Apple specific. It's just, everybody else does it, apple just puts another premium price tag on top of it because people will pay it. Apple has it's advantages, but I don't think Samsung for instance would do it any other way.