VideoLan Player Video Outputs

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by ElectronSpider, Aug 18, 2016.

1. I, as well as many others, enjoy using VLC player (and other media players) to playback videos and media in a wide variety of different encoded formats. I recently re-stumbled upon the video output section in the video tab under tools->preferences. There are a variety of different video output formats from Directx to novelty formats such as ASCII art playback :D.

I am curious. Is there an objective reason to choose between DirectX or OpenGL or raw video memory output of the video playback? If so, which video output provides the cleanest (non-blocky) and smoothest playback without removing video accuracy?

Also, would you recommend using the post processing video sampling? Thanks in advance!

2. Found out what to do to get the best quality out of my video using VLC player. First, set the video post processing to the maximum, 6, located in "Video > Filters > PostProc" in advanced mode or "Input/Codecs" in simple mode. Then turn off "Frame Skip" and "Drop Frames" by unchecking them in "Video" in advanced mode. Also make sure hardware YUV->RGB decoding is enabled if you are using RGB color settings and set RGB color for video in NVCP or AMD CCP to full (0-255).