Low fps on THe Witcher 3 using a GTX 1070?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jgomez7238, Jul 31, 2016.

1. jgomez7238

jgomez7238 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Hi,
    I just purchased a GTX 1070 and it runs fine but I was wondering if I was getting low fps on THe Witcher 3.. (Frames per second go from a min of 37 fps to 62 .My other components are: CPU: Intel Core I7 @4.00 Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 5
    16 gigs of DDR4 3000 Monitor:34 inch LG Ultrawide 2560 by 1080. PSU Corsair 750 watt 80 plus Bronze. I'm running the game using NVidia DSR at 1440p everything maxed out with the exception of NVidia Hairworks(disabled). I'm using the sweetfx mod but I noticed it only makes a minor difference of about 3 to 5 fps)

2. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    im having the same issue with a 1080

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Where are these framerate dips occurring?

Witcher 3 is one of the most GPU intensive titles out there, and in some areas, the framerate can dip big time. Usually it's at certain times of day like dusk, and in heavily forested areas. The combination of the large shadow maps they use for dusk time along with all the vegetation can really bring a GPU to its knees.

Try overclocking it, it should help a lot by making the frametime more steady.

4. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    i had some dips on mine on the expansion Hearts of Stone during the
    wedding area cutscenes
    even on 1080p everything ultra except hairworks off (it looks and feels weird on Geralt no matter how i look at it). Toned down shadows 1 notch down from ultra to high and everything ran fine again, hardly any difference in visual quality

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    lower view distance, like most games it tends to have a big performance impact. Also lowering shadows one notch helps, as suggested. Don't know about you but I've never had a good experience with DSR, input lag and bad fps are usually the issues.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  6. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Oops

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. jgomez7238

jgomez7238 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thanks for the replies! The framerate drops occur usually in the forest. I notice that if I turn down the foliage distance option one notch down it makes a big difference. I think part of the problem is that I'm running an Ultrawide monitor which means more pixels. That requires more horsepower. When i run 1440p it's actually 3413 by 1440p and not the standard 1440p resolution typically used on a 27 inch monitor. The card runs great though. I really like DSR option by Nvidia. I can use 4k sampling and only turn down the foliage down one notch and it still is very playable. (34 to 47 fps). Thanks again guys..