Microsoft locks some Group Policy options to Enterprise editions in Windows 10 Annive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Jul 30, 2016.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Source

This is only going to get worse. I think we'll soon see the removal of Pro edition, leaving just Home, Education and Enterprise as the only options.

Tim Sweeney, thinks MS are trying to gimp Steam, i think Tim doesnt realize that MS is more interested in gimping windows.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    This shouldn't be a surprise.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I don't understand why Microsoft are being so stupid... this is really annoying.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    That's not the only thing that has changed. You can also no longer re-enable the legacy desktop context menu with the registry hack. They now force you to use the XAML one, even though it has improved I feel it's still lacking in some aspects.

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    indeed not surprising for those who follow the latest developments.
    they are digging their own grave. but many people seem not to have caught up with that fact seeing how blindly they defend ms for actions similar to these.
    probably people who never touched gpedit in their entire life anyway...
    and are totally enthralled by some colorful tiles show them the weather in their hometown right after bootup...

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Can Enterprise be purchased for one user like Pro?

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Not sure why they took away the ability to disable the lock screen. The way it functions in the anniversary update it seems like an even more pointless addition to Windows than it already was.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If they remove features in Pro i want half my money back.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Unfortunately this was a free upgrade...half of zero is still zero.

(.)(.) forgot one thing, only one edition is going to remain.

They are going to be locking it down all the way down...only way one can really have a "secure" os. Only way one can guarantee a secure os on a mobile device/phone at the moment. Same experience across all platforms. Desktop->Tablet->Phone all the same device. Those are separate devices as we know them now. All one and the same single device later. This is going to be the glue that starts this. Change is never easy. Always fought against.

One interface to bind them, one interface... Microsoft is based in Mordor. Their operating system is in a tongue we will not speak here. Spies everywhere.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I have retail.

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    You have a point.

Depending on how the EULA is worded, they would have to amend it...forcing you to agree to it before the upgrade would install. They may be setting themselves up again.

13. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    what did you use before? vista? :nerd:

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not sure, tried to look for it also, only says to contact them for volume licensing... as long as I haven't missed anything major, it's the only legal version of obtaining it, via contacting their sales agents and act like a small business. Can't even imagine the price they'd charge for enterprises since normally you make money with it somehow...

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Only through Software Assurance (volume licensing). There's some new E3/E5 plan for a subscription but I doubt you'd be interested in those lol.

It definitely isn't difficult to get hold of a copy to test your software and toolkits.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    what worries me more is how the community has changed, things like that awful update system would not be tolerated back in vista days, a simple tool would've brought back the good old update list-menu and removed all the annoying crap, but thats nowhere to be seen today, people no longer care about this thing, in general, people must have moved on to android or something

I remember how they removed dreamscenes from win7, and a simple bat file could make it work just the same as vista, then came 8 and that didnt work and no one seemed to care

the windows enthusiasts of today are just brainwashed netbook users they call fans-insiders, what microsoft does is the law and they dont even question it

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah. A bunch of pushovers. It's the same in gaming. Love the accepting attitude towards data harvesting ...

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Some battles just aren't worth the fight..... If you want an OS that you can actually control, jump to Linux and just accept that your game library will be extremely limited. Fortunately for me, the only game I play these days is TL2, which runs on Linux and Windows. MS is just going the wrong direction for me. I'm still in the process of migrating every system I can to Linux, ChromeOS or some variant of Android. I've been on Win10 for several months now and I'm just not happy with it. I've got a laptop running Ubuntu on an older i3 380M that is more responsive than my i5 6600K running Win10.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I found it interesting that Microsoft removed Tech Bench once the free upgrade period expired... the ability to download Updated Clean ISO's of Windows 10, there was also Windows 8.1 and if memory serves 7 was there too.

This is the link I have https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/techbench

It just gives an error now, I used it last week and a few weeks before that to get Updated Windows 10 ISO's..... but.. yeah.. not there now..

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If there was a registry entry to bring back the old update system I'm sure we'd all be using it, til they patch it. I think it's less about the community changing, more about Microsoft changing.