Tim Sweeney Outs More Win10 Concerns - MS wants to Break Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. soryuuha

soryuuha Member

GPU:
    xxx 270 xxx
    just when gamers finally have peace with steam+origin+uplay(+gog) ecosystem..

till Linux-distro as gaming ecosystem..gamers stucked with msft :mad:

3. mondzi

mondzi Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 960
    Is he really saying MS will release patches to Windows 10 which will cause bugs in Steam client? Ridiculous. And Valve will just watch, nothing to do there...omg.

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    It almost looks like Microsoft is telling users and developers to go to Linux are they really that stupid?

5. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Another reason why developers should go Vulkan so we can game on linux rather than windows. If they start using vulkan then i will sure jump to linux for gaming or even have a dedicated drive for windows and one for Linux.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Classical Doomsday preaching i say. We had that always over past 20 years, and look where gaming is now. I am sure its going to be just fine.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  8. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    If there was a like button here then I would've hit it. :thumbup:

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    How what when. This seems tinfoil level stuff. If MS starts to break steam just what and we are already seeing this?

10. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    HaHA Tim just needs to stop being such a cry baby and get an UWP steam app out the door they've had time to prepare they knew it was coming but sat on their hands and buried their heads in the sand

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not completely. I do not know about your experience, but I have been in insider program from start.

And MS patches broke VirtualBox functionality, then guys fixed it over course of some months and MS quickly made another changes which broke it again for months.

Rinse and repeat. Doing this to tech crowd has no effect as they just move to linux for what they need. But doing this to average consumer and you have person ditching their favorite game distribution platform as it is more convenient that switching OS.

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    If and when my favorite steam game becomes available on Linux there will be no reason for me to remain on Windows.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Sure things break from time to time. But win32 is going nowhere which seemed to be the biggest fear for Tim. I'm guessing VirtualBox now works fine?

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, for all you know (nothing really?), one has to 1st get out that windows 10 upgrades which people can't downgrade from in most cases.
    And only after that you can start pulling bad things. But that requires W10 to have that saturation, if they'll do it too early, people will not upgrade.

As for broken software. It is interested to see that MS broke applications of very particular software vendors. (Direct competitors in certain industries.)

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    As I said in the other thread. I don't see this happening unless MS wants another monopoly style lawsuit like they had with the EU in the past. I can see Valve sue them for that reason.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Things are bound to break in the insiders program, that's kinda the point.

It's the difference between the average and more experienced PC user, those with more experience tinker and often break stuff, but usually increase their experience fixing it.
    The average user is usually scared to touch anything, which is why I find it strange that easy lifers sign up for it.

Tim must think people are gullible if he thinks anyone will believe this, if anything it sounds like a way to divert from the fact Steam can be rather buggy, and that W10 is growing very quickly in the Steam Stats surveys.

17. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Weren't Microsoft involved in some scandal a bunch of years ago where the were sabotaging other peoples software?

I might just be thinking of that episode of the Simpson with the Krusty dolls that destroy stuff though

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Makes perfect sense to me. I have read about testers within the insiders program complain about certain games not working correctly. I even forgot about the Insiders program. To me this Tim dude is trying to stir crap here. Phil Spencer commented on Steam's sucess about a month ago.

19. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Tinfoil is strong with this one.

20. Doomlord

Doomlord Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia gtx 2080TI
    Hes Right

Don't normally reply to this stuff but he is spot on:

Its not about steam. Its about getting rid of legacy applications. Moving software into this new format (check out the new windows packages as they closely match the MS Application Virtualisation Standard) which is compatible with being uploaded into the Microsoft cloud where all this software will eventually be run from.

The cloud is where the big players see the future so they are all having a go and all that we are seeing is an old fashioned land grab. But in this case its virtual land.

Why the cloud? because technology is going low cost and low power and there is a lot of decent free software out there. The cloud is a way for the corporates to keep their profit margins and lock customers in.