Microsoft will make Cortana mandatory in Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by anticupidon, Jul 28, 2016.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It most likely won't work for me anyway even if mandatory. I tried to use it at some point just to see how it works, but no support for Finnish so it was disabled all by itself.

Kind of like I cannot use Finnish menus in X1 with English voice control I just have to disable all of the voice control since MS cannot code.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. synapz

synapz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    Not a problem here either (in Sweden) since Cortana doesn't support Swedish Windows either.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Right after OS installation there are some choices about privacy users may do and there is Cortana license agreement too.
    I simply clicked that I'll check hers stuff later. And never did as I disliked her so much in previous W10 installation.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I found physically deleting it worked.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    When I did that in earlier stages of development, it broke start menu functionality.
    Basically pressing <WIN_Key> opens start menu and you can type stuff you want to find in your programs/settings. But with her enabled and then deleted, search was broken.
    And MS recovered her with next big update as those are "like" new installations.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Heh. MS really thinks that we are really going to use Cortana they are mistaken. Plus one person commented on the article saying it wont be long until the EU sues MS over this like they did with IE.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    France has ordered Microsoft to stop collecting data from Windows users... I think it was 2 months to comply?

I wonder what Microsoft will do because they love that omnomnomn telemetry.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Don't have a Mic, don't have a Cam, and not planning to buy any either.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Probably either find a loophole, or not comply and pay the fines, as they'll be making more from telemetry than they'll be fined most likely

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Already have it disabled through gpedit. The patern is just becoming more obvious. With each successive windows release since XP, they have been burying options further and further and even changing which menu the settings appear that were once free and clear, easy to find, for the user to configure. How much longer will gpedit last for this till it is only configurable through registry tweaks.

EDIT: Do not see this as a negative. Just seems like it is taking a long time for the whole circle to complete to where we are with back with tweaking the win.ini file but in a much more open fashion. CS is just going to be a need to basic education like history and social studies (if it is even called that anymore).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So remind me again why I should be jumping on the Win 10 bandwagon, the first update after the free activation expires is to FORCE something I have no interest in ever using.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    DX12 pretty nice. I use task view + multiple desktops daily at work. Network stack has recently been rewritten and improved. Memory performance was improved. If you have a laptop/tablet battery/power has been improved. Bash commands is nice in the new build. Windows Spotlight is pretty cool. Writing/inking has been significantly improved -- I had a SP3 and now I have an SP4 and writing is so, so much better under Windows 10 especially with the anniversary update. In general it has better DPI scaling of all system apps (mostly because they've all been ported to UWP) CMD got updated with a bunch of nice features. You can switch between multiple audio outputs with the volume button -- pretty nice if you have a TV connected.

There is a bunch of small stuff -- like they are finally starting to clean up all the inconsistent UI elements and stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_10

I didn't care for Microsoft's forceful push of Windows 10, but I think it's a pretty solid OS overall. The anniversary update adds a bunch of needed improvements.

14. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Oh great, what don't you understand Microsoft?

Nobody wants this. I don't think anybody really wants cortana.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I do but I don't.

I like the idea of an assistant -- but bing search results, which powers everything about cortana, is terrible. Also I find the functionality isn't really what I'm looking for. For example, if I'm playing Overwatch and I say something like "Hey Cortana, how much damage does Mcree's fan the hammer do?" and get a response without alt tabbing my game or interrupting the experience, I think it can be incredibly useful. Google's Knowledge graph is already pretty good at answering specific questions. But currently asking her anything pauses whatever it is your doing while she listens/processes the information. It interrupts the workflow.

16. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Anyone know if you can use Cortana with location turned off? Seems utter daft that I need location "ON" on my PC for it to work since my location will be wherever my ISP is...

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The only reason Cortana is there is because it is Microsoft's answer to Siri. Since it is a nice feature on a mobile platform to not have to actually type on a small phone screen it appears on the desktop. It is all part of the same experience across all platforms. We have to remember that going forward it is a one size fits all approach. As long as there is a way to be able to disable it without breaking the os, then all is good; just means more work in setting the os up initially. Do not care for the added steps but once it is done...hopefully it is done till the next big update.

18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Which is fine just give us the option to turn it off easily and then keep it turned off until we THE END USER, decide we want to turn it back on again. The info seems to suggest MS plan to not allow us to do this though instead forcing it on.

19. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    "Take this and like it" -Microsoft

20. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Microshaft can make whatever they want mandatory. But they should expect us to hack the OS after doing so.