Vsync Questions once and for all

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by X7007, Jul 27, 2016.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    So we have all the Sync options.

What I want to know is what is the best way to use it and what to do if the game doesn't support it, won't work with it or worse crash instant or after a while.

Some people say Maximum pre-Render frames - 1 which is a must to have the lowest input lag with vsync, that we can always agree. When should I change it otherwise ? any games specifics or issues ?

Vsync should be On in NVCP ? if it does should I Frame Limit using Nvidia Inspector ? or RivaTuner/MsiAfterBurner , if to limit what number to choose if I have 60 Hz TV screen, and I usually play in 3D too so I know it must be accounted for cause 3D causes input lag by itself, I usually use Tridef and sometimes Nvidia 3DTV and using 3DTV causing Vsync Force ON always.

When can I use Vsync Fast ? in some specific games FPS or any game ? Any game I tried it caused Stuttering every couple sec. example DarkSiders 2, BladeStorm Nightmare, The Technomancer, The Evil Within. Complete Edition, but it really seem to work fine for Skyrim for some reason.

When using Vsync Adaptive doesn't seem to work or works badly on some games, for example I'm trying to have no Tearing + no Stuttering in BladeStorm Nightmare. using Vsync On causing lag input, Vsync Adaptive doesn't seem to work well, Vsync Fast causing Stuttering.
    I try to Frame Limit to 58.6 and it didn't work well, or I just don't remember, but I just can't find the right settings.

2. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Just globaly enable framerate limit in RTSS and be done with it.

Thats because it turns VSync off when framerate is bellow 60. Hence it's useless.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    With 3x 1080 I advise you to get it over with and get a Gsync monitor of your choice :D
    Haven't bothered with Vsync ever since, for good.

4. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

Thanks for the answers , but would rather to know what would be best . RTSS can cause crashes in some games and I would prefer less programs interfere with the games in 3D or in 2D. and still I'm not sure which number to cap it ? 60,61,62,63 ? some games for example League Of Legends benefit from 144 Fps , the game is way more smoother and the lag input not exist for competition games.

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Leave it at default and change it to 1 only if you actually feel the input lag.

No. Turn vsync on only in those games profiles you want to have running with vsync.

If you have vsync on there's no reason to frame limit anything - unless you want to frame limit below the refresh rate.

Don't use frame limiter if you're already using vsync. If the lag is noticeable use pre-render frames = 1.

You can use fast sync when you're getting >2x fps than your refresh rate at minimum. Otherwise you'll get stuttering.

Adaptive vsync turns off vsync when you have less fps than the display refresh rate. If you want vsync all the time use ordinary vsync. If you want less lag with vsync set pre-render limit to 1. Only use fast sync if you're getting >120 fps (on a 60Hz display; >288 fps on a 144Hz one, etc).

6. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Wrong. Framerate limit reduces lag caused by VSync.

7. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Maximum pre-Render frames 1 can kill your FPS

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It doesn't. And if you'd know how vsync works you wouldn't say this. Pre-render limit does affect lag though.

9. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

Thank you, I understand now more.

I will check pre-render, I'll see how it works in 3D because the lag is already high and Vsync won't help that in the good way.

But if I use the Fps Limiter without Vsync what number should I use ? it's so mixed up.

10. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    It does. You can try it for yourself. Without framerate limit frame time spikes a lot, resulting into a lot of lag.

11. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    You use RTSS to limit or nvidia inspector ?

If you say I should limit, what should I limit to ? 59.9, 59.8, 58.6, 60 ,61,62 ?

Does any of you had a feeling that using the Msi AfterBurner > Enable user defined software automatic fan and choosing a direct curve and not by temperature fix some type of stuttering ?

I'll check Assassin's Creed Syndicate now in 3D (Nvidia 3DTV with resolution 1280x720) and will tell you how it go

It will be 3DTV + Vsync On (because can't change that) + Pre-Render 3 + MsiAfterBurner Fan defined Enabled

All I want to test is if I should limit frame using RTSS or NvidiaInspector and what number

I tested Bladestorm with Vsync On and Pre-Render 3 + MsiAfterBurner Fan defined and the game worked wonderfully, didn't drop once from 59.9-60 , no tearing and no stuttering or micro stuttering with 2560x1440 DSR resolution.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  12. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    RTSS with limit to monitor's refresh rate. In my case it's 60.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It doesn't. What you're doing with this is emulating pre-render limit with frame limiter which is all in all a very bad way to handle this since there's an option which is actually modifying the flip queue instead of imposing the limit on maximum fps allowed.

As I've said, in general - don't use anything but default driver settings. Only resort to changing them per game profile when you actually feel that there's lag or some other issue. Before doing this try using driver vsync instead of the in-game one or vice versa - this may fix some issues as well.

14. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

16. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    This was Dying Light, but this is how it behave it every game. VSync was enabled in game. Exclusive fullscreen.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I can certainly say that it doesn't behave like that in every game. What happens if you use driver vsync instead of the in-game one (I don't have DL, hate zombies in general)?

18. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    The x3 in his videocard name actually refers to the number of fans the card has.

19. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    Driver V-Sync and limit frames to whatever refresh rate you're running at via rtss is the best option imo for the most consistent frame times etc.

20. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Nice, so we can agree that it does help.

What can I do if I can't use RTSS ? for example trying to run Assassin's Creed Syndicate with 3DTV + RTSS causing the game to crash as soon it reach the main menu. This game has terrible lags every time I get close to NPC or any Quest windows that open and required reading or interaction , the big black window that opens like when you are in the train and need to read something or Accept/Play when you click E, it just freeze for a second when getting the window and leaving the window.

and it happens on other occasions , maybe the TXAA causing it ? I'm using 1280x720 + TXAAx4+FXAA the game runs smooth but those terrible lags. it happened me in assassin's creed Unity too and I didn't use TXAA, and it happened with 970.

There are games that if you don't enable Vsync and doesn't matte if you use Frame limiter or not it stutter, for example Ori and the blind forest. Enabling game Vsync or Driver Vsync fix the issue.