Win XP to Win 10 Radeon X300 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Blkdog, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Blkdog

Blkdog Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X300
    Have older Dell Demension 8400 with original ATI Radeon X300 video card. Originally a windows XP system, just upgraded to Win 7. Wanted to upgrade to Win 10 but will not upgrade because video drivers not compatible.

Though somewhat computer literate, some subjects I know very little of, like video display drivers.

Tried searching for Win 10 updated drivers but there are none. Found out about Radeon FLEM modder. Starting to get confusing for me. I downloaded version 1 and when I run it, I have no idea where MAIN/ROOT drive of where my driver is and it does not allow me to do anything. Seeing I have a Dell Demension not sure where drivers are located. Tried c:\Dell, c:\Windows\System32 but FLEM can not find driver package.

Most likely I am not doing this correctly. Any help appreciated.
    Also appreciate any low cost video card options if modder will not work for me.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    your best bet is to try and use the last available windows vista driver, that really is the only option ,

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=Legacy1&os=Windows%20Vista%20-%2032

You can try either the full catalyst driver, or just the standalone wdm driver

other than that, you should probably stay on windows 7, windows 10 is a bit much for a single core cpu from 2004. the good news is that the dell 8400 has pci express which means your upgrade options are plentiful,

I would recommend looking for a used newer video card like an hd 7730, r7 240/250 or a gt 720/730 gddr5. anything more expensive than 50$ probably isn't worth it.

should probably get a new computer though, pretty much anything will be much faster in all areas,even 200$ notebooks.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Its far better to spend $20-$30 on a used HD 5450 or even a geforce 8400!
    I use a geforce 8400 gs with hdmi in my HTPC with Windows 10 without issue.

And you would be surprised at how well a single core can run windows 10. Windows 10 has much better system resource management then Windows 7 does.
    Even a Sempron 145 I have runs it well as a general use PC.

4. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Windows 10 actually runs very well on old single core machines. I would even venture to say it runs better than 7 on such a system. I have a 2005 HP AMD based laptop with the Radeon Xpress 200M graphics chip , which is a cut down version of the X300 discrete card and it is running Windows 10 Pro 32 bit with only 2GB of DDR RAM. Not even DDR2 but just DDR. It runs just as fast as it did with XP. The video driver is a modded by FLEM combination of Catalyst 13.4 and 10.2.

With all that, if you can find a stronger graphics card that has drivers for Windows 10, that would be a good option. To use Flem you have to have the downloaded driver package. Actually you need both packages, the one to be modded and the one to mod it with. I have the 13.4 package and I think you can still get the 10.2 from the AMD site.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    No offense Guys but you're forgetting just how slow pentium4s are, they don't even compare to that sempron 145

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=403&cmp%5B%5D=1076

The pentium4 that comes with the dell 8400, is less than Half the speed of the sempron 145, i Highly do not recommend upgrading to windows 10 unless you test it before hand on a separate drive or partion

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Old single core or not, it has Hyper Threading which helps big time in just even browsing internet.

I have ran Windows 10 on a P4 478 2.66ghz Presscott with 2GB DDR 400, and HD 3650 AGP and it ran it very good considering with an Sata II 40GB ssd using a IDE to Sata Adapter.

Better then my Celeron dual core 2GB DDR3 notebook does.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

Im just sayin, that why upgrade when all its gonna do is put more workload on the already weak cpu and gpu, the biggest reason there will be a performance hit is the gui, it is more resource heavy than windows 7 with compositing disabled. Maybe if he had a better gpu is would be ok,since tasks like video decode would be off loaded.

The other thing to consider is that windows 10 is a rolling release, meaning it updates all the time, what happens if microsoft decides to push an update that cripples his hardware hes screwed since there isn't any driver support for the hardware to begin.

edit :Best case senario its usable, and gets slower as microsoft updates windows 10.

8. Blkdog

Blkdog Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X300
    Win XO to Win 10 RADEON X300

Thank you all for your quick responses. Your insight is far superior to my lack of knowledge. For your information, this Dell Dimension is just going to be like a spare back up computer in case my other (wifes) Laptop, Netbook and another Dimension 8400 that I upgraded with a GEForce and 17" monitor several years ago go on the blink. These have all updated to Win 10.

I simply wanted to get in on the Win 10 free upgrade as this Dell was on Win XP. Did not realize display would be a factor until I tried the upgrade and was told "Display is incompatible"

I did download the Vista driver per your link and would probably be ok with WDM (generic?). After installing and rebooting is there anything I need to do so it can be recognized? Device Manager still says Radeon X300. Will try full Catalyst nest. What do I do after installing WDM or Catalyst?

Right now I just want to get the Win 10 free update and deal with upgrading video later. I dont think I can buy new video card and have it installed by 7/31/16.

Thanks so much for your help.
    Ron

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    If its still won't let you then the windows 10 upgrader probably recognizes the graphics card as too slow rather than a driver issue, Since windows 10 should be compatible with wddm 1.0 drivers(vista). You can force an upgrade by using the mediacreatortool here https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

tell it to upgrade the pc now, and it should work.
    you will probably have to reinstall the video drivers after it completes,
    don't be surprised if the upgrade takes 10+hours

.best of luck

10. Blkdog

Blkdog Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X300
    Win Xp to Win 10 Radeon X300

Just so I think I understand, this creation tool is a blunt force Win 10 upgrade and different than the controlled Windows 10 update using the update advisor.

It will force the upgrade hell or high water and I will be left with Win 10 and then deal with a newer card.

That will work as I just want the free update even though I can stay on Win 7 and buy a Win 10 upgrade later. Dont know when support for Win 7 will end.

11. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Ye, a clean install with the creation tool and you'll get Windows 10

Once you have Windows 10 though, the Vista driver should work. You might need to install it via the device manager.

I've read that users with Nvidia DX9 GPUs failed the update advisor, but when doing a clean install and manually downloading the Windows 8.0 driver it installed just as normal

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    yes it will forcably install windows 10 and it activates the same way,it will let you do an upgrade or you can use it to make an iso to install fresh

13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    How are you upgrading from XP?I thought that only applied to 7 and 8.1?

14. Blkdog

Blkdog Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X300
    Win XP to Win 10

Sorry to lend any confusion for you. I dont think there was an update from Win XP to Win 7 so I performed a clean install of Win 7, I dont remember right now Or if there was an update, I chose a clean install to get a fresh OS. (Long story but I have had a long history of power outages and corrupt OS. That is another topic for another forum).

Bottom line really was to get a fresh OS so the new Win 7 would be the fastest possible at start up.

So should I save the Vista drivers from your link and install that after Win 10 install?

After installing Win 10, will it install generic drivers and will I have some kind of display to work with after the install?
    Thanks

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Yes I recommend saving the vista drivers for after the install, you will be able to read the screen without them, but there will be no video acceleration(slow)

16. Blkdog

Blkdog Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X300
    Win XP to win 10 Radeon x300

I dont mind spending a few dollars on a newer video card and found the following at NEWEGG. Sounds like a good deal for me?

EVGA 8 GeForce 8400 GS DirectX 10 01G-P3-1302-LR 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

On sale for $29 with a $10 rebate = $19

17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the price is kinda high,
    considering for 30$ you can get a gt 710
    and its much faster, much better video decode (assists when playing back video) actually has driver support
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126053R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127931&cm_re=GT_710-_-14-127-931-_-Product

honestly though i would say to look for a used graphics card on craigslist for 10-30$ you'll probably get a better deal than anything new in that price range

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  18. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    The single core laptop that is running Win 10 with no problems has the AMD Turion64 ML-34 CPU which has a rating of 425 compared to his P4's 378. That's not much of a difference. It's single thread performance is rated lower.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1076&cmp[]=449

19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It is not whether it can run windows 10, its whether you should run windows 10 , that is my point.

I was able to run windows 10 on my netbook with 1gb of ram, It was usable. I then proceeded to install ubuntu with xfce, because it ran alot better and Is stable.

windows 10 is ok, but unless you have a reason to upgrade. I do not recommend it since is still pretty buggy , and microsoft forces out updates without fielding them properly.

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I have been using Win 10 since launch day a year ago and have not encountered a single bug. Every update has gone smoothly with no problems. It has been rock solid for me on 2 PC's, a 10" RCA tablet, and my Lumia 640 phone. I have one PC on 64 bit Win 10 Home, One on 32 bit Win 10 Pro (the single core AMD laptop), the tablet on 32 bit Win 10 Home, and the phone on Win 10 Mobile.

If you are going to install it on an old single core machine that has less than 4gigs of RAM, I would highly recommend the 32 bit version.