Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut thermal paste

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by The Goose, Jul 25, 2016.

1. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Bear with me....lol

Hi guys, for the last few years I`ve used Revoltec nano thermal paste but lately my cpu temps have been creeping up slightly so i thought time for a change, first off my rig:

Msi z97 gaming 5
    I7 4790k cooled with a Corsair H110 gt fitted with 2 Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC 3000RPM PWM 140mm High Performance Fans running with a custom profile of minimum fan speed of 500rpm @ 40c - max 2400rpm @85c

Room tempeture about 12c, tempeture monitored with Corair link and my mobo displays cpu package realtime temps on onboard 2 digit display.

My experience with Revoltec nano has been great...easy to apply and no burn in needed but with a thermal conductivity is 4 W / mK i wanted to find a paste with a better rating so i deliberated for a while and decided to go with Grizzly Hydronaut, with a thermal Conductivity: 11.8 wm / k it thought thats gotta be better, had a read up on it and ordered some.

Hydronaut arrives....

Quick test with revoltec nano and case open, idle temp 45c-51c using google to browse guru3d(cpu usuage 7-9%), ran 3dmark timespy temps top out @75c.

Revoltec nano uses a nail brush bottle so i normally wipe any excess off in the bottle and paint the cpu surface with a thin layer but the hydronaut is supplied in a syringe so i went with the grain of rice method.

Grizzly`s details state no cure time but ive not been able to find anything on burnin time.

With Hydronaut....

Initial start up temps 55-65c, a quick run of timespy and temps topped at 99c with a quick panic.

Ive used similar products to hydronaut and found that tempetures have settled after a short run of 3dmark but this is not the case with hydronaut, atm min idle temp 52c while im typing this thread with the occasional jump to 65c.

I had planned to replace the thermal paste and pads on my 2 980ti`s with Hydronaut and some Fugipoly thermal pads but not im not so sure now.

I`d appreciate other people sharing there experience of Hydronaut.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Most likely poor application. Even peanut butter would do better than 99c

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Just reapplied with full spread method and about to bench again, initial idle temps 43c again with jumps to 60c+, previous aplication had spread well.

And again 99c+ running timespy.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Are you sure your room is 12 C? I can see no reason why your setup should be running as high as 45C-51C at idle. It is 13 C in my room at the moment, I'm doing video encoding in the background (which is running the CPU 'at 100 percent', but of course that means differently to superPI 100 percent), and my CPU temp is 39 C on a air cooler (Xigmatek Dark Knight NightHawk with custom fans).

Even if you mistyped and meant 22 C, which is pretty much what standard room temperature is considered to be, a 51 C idle is still excessively high. Maybe there is something wrong elsewhere?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016

5. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I lol'ed out loud when imagining peanut butter slapped between a heatsink and CPU, oh man! :nerd:

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You need the one without nuts though :)

@OP anyways those temps are high even before grizzly(assuming stock)

Are you sure the pump on that thing is running?

7. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Sounds like something you would buy at an Adult store.

8. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Choosey overclockers choose JIF.

9. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Somethings wrong here, is the H110 GT new aswell or have you been running that for a while too?

Also how are your room temps 12c! Its like 27c in my third bedroom as its quite warm in the UK atm. Do you have air con?

10. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    That H110 should be way better than that.

Fans fighting each other?

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    20c sorry...felt like 12c, gone back to revoltec nano now idling @35ish which is where cpu temp has been since i bought the h110gt new, h110gt water temp 33c, pump appears to be working and cpu and water temps reduce when idle for few mins, gaming temps around 65-70c.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    H100i and I think the H80 have backplate issues with Intel, simple fix if it's the same with your cooler

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Already did the back plate fix, im considering going back to proper water cooling or changing my case again as the Phantek enthoo pros front fan is hamperd by the hd caddy.

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I've run H100i v2 with the i7 4790k and my temps at idle has been always around 30-34°C and at load 58-60°C(60-65°C I've seen only once when outside temps has been pretty high),but usual temps has been around 65C under heavy load and during the rendering and I've run 4.6GHHz at pretty normal voltage 1.255v

Regarding the thermal paste,I've used ShinEtsu and PK-3,with ShinEtsu my temps has been pretty much same as with PK-3,although with PK-3 my temps has been slightly lower at load

And not sure if I would choose Hydronaut on H100 or H110,I would choose Kryonaut rather than Hydronaut,I will be putting on my i7-5820k Kryonaut as right with PK-3 seems I've high temps,but outside temps over here in UK are high

I've used pea method on all CPU and never have any issue,you have very high idle temps,can you check if pump is working and check if radiator is clean

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

15. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Well as ive said...ive gone back to my revoltec nano but my idle temps are still idling around 45c with my case open, i can here the pump when i alter the pump speed and air flow through the radiator is fine, ive never been overly impressed with the h110gt since i changed from custom water cooling , i quess its not so good in warm climates, now idling at 50c with water temp at 45c

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Do you have enabled any power saving option on yours,if not try turn EIST and few others on,this should bring temps bit down under idle or light load as seems in yours case yours CPU is running always on high or full speed,try that

Corsair H series are good for mild OC or higher OC,but for high voltafe and high OC I would probably choose custom water loop,I'm too not overly impressed with mine,but I have decided I will be doing full loop next month or during the winter this depends on few factors right now

My Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut will be here tomorrow and I will do few my test on mine and if its helps I can post my results and my temps

Please have look on this test,i ts in Romanian language,but Google translate should help

http://crazypc.ro/roundup-paste-termice/

Thanks,Jura

17. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I know I have used this on both of my 980ti's and my old gtx 690.

Put it this way, my overclocked gtx 690 @ 1240mhz on both gpus were hitting like 90+C, that's with bios voltage mod,etc.

Now after applying the thermal grizzly onto both gpu's, my temps went down like mid to upper 70 Celsius = BIG DIFFERENCE.

my 980ti right now is hitting about 51 Celsius and under due to hot summer, so temps are going to be higher of course.

18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Problem solved.....sort of.

A couple of weeks ago i changed my Corsair vengeance pro 1866(4x4 gig) for 2400(2x8gig), for over a week everything was fine until temps went haywire, ive just switched back to 2 strips of 1866 and my temps are fine....maxing out at 65c running 3dmark timespy, ive tried 2 sticks in slot 2-4 and 1-3 same result but when i use all 4 strips temps go haywire again which leaves me with a puzzling conclusion....either the cpu or motherboard has taken a disliking to running 16gig of ram.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi, i run my 4790k at stock, but after my recent post about my memory im going to try the hydronaut again tomorrow now the temps are under control again and idling at 35c, i`d appreciate your kryonaut test results as i might try it .(just bought some on ebay)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  20. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Oh, I also forgot to mention about that 90 Celsius on my gtx 690 overclocked @ 1240mhz w/voltage bios mods,etc.

That was with prettie good broken in artic silver 5.

That was not stock thermal paste, so compared to well cured AS5 to Thermal Grizzly is out of the question from my own experience on using both.

Thermal Grizzly to me is keepers for me, absolutely must have.

Works extremely well.