Gears of War 4: Unreal Engine 4 unleashed!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Not sure if there's a Gears of War 4 thread, but since it's coming out in a few months, I thought I'd start one.

I'm greatly anticipating this game, as I'm a fan of the Gears of War series. What I'm also interested in aside from the game, is the fact that Gears of War 4 will perhaps be the first UE4 game to really leverage the capabilities of the engine.

The vast majority of UE4 games so far have been indie titles, which barely scratched the surface of what UE4 is capable of. Of course Epic themselves have made Unreal Tournament, and Paragon, but those are still multiplayer centric and tuned more for performance. Gears of War 4 on the other hand will focus mostly on the campaign, and the developer is definitely making visuals a priority since the Gears series have always been technical showcases for the Xbox consoles.

Hot off the press, Digital Foundry had an interview with The Coalition's Technical Director Mike Rayner.

In it he discloses that Gears of War 4 will ship using UE4.11, which is a very recent build with full DX12 support. Asynchronous compute will be leveraged heavily on the Xbox One as you'd expect, and certain to be on the PC as well for AMD and NVidia Pascal GPUs.

Just to name some of the awesome graphics technologies this game will have, are real time global illumination bounce lighting for flashlights (and perhaps other light sources), as well as GPU accelerated rigid body simulation and destruction. Not sure if the rigid body simulation and destruction will be GPU accelerated on PC though, since PCs usually have much more powerful CPUs than what's found in the Xbox One and should easily be capable of handling the physics simulations on the CPU.

The game will also support HDR, but only on the Xbox one; at least for now, since there are no HDR monitors available yet to my knowledge. But I suppose you could always hook up an HDR capable UHDTV to your PC if your PC is powerful enough to run at that resolution.

All in all though, this game looks to be shaping up very nicely. Gears of War Ultimate Edition was a learning experience for them, and although it had a rocky launch, they patched it up nicely in a short amount of time. Considering the game used Unreal Engine 3, which wasn't really designed to handle the kind of assets and features that modern games have, they did a good job.

Gears of War 4 on the other hand has the advantage of being developed on a cutting edge engine which is designed around modern hardware. So I don't think that Gears of War 4 will have the same issues that Gears of War Ultimate Edition had on launch.

Latest campaign footage.

*Edit* How on Earth do you embed YouTube videos?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Gears of War 4 Thread is actually here http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=406165

To embed video's you need the video ID, the video ID comes after = in the address, for the video you have linked it is oAGus4OBTgY

You need to type it like this [ youtube ] oAGus4OBTgY [ / youtube ]

Removing the spaces of course.

And then it does this.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    graphics wise it does not look anything special at all.

The textures on the environments looks extremely low and even on some of the rocks they look so low they look stretched and out of shape.

Lighting looks static/prebaked from what I can tell and there is a seriously lack of AF and AA on the screen looks like they are still using something like SMAA or FXAA post process.

All this is probably to try and hit a 60fps target that Microsoft need them to hit to make their weak console look good.

Gameplay wise it looks basically the same old gears of war formula, which isn't bad at all but they could of tried something different with the game.

I would love an RTS gears game on PC like Halo wars that would be quite epic.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    @ KissSh0t thanks :cheers:

You do realize of course that it's the Xbox One version you're looking at? Considering the platform it's running on, it looks really good in my opinion. Even more so when you think about the amount of high end special effects.

The PC version should look much better, and not only in terms of texture resolution. The PC version of Gears of War Ultimate edition had double the polygon count for characters, and about 30% more for the environment vs the Xbox One version.

I expect the PC version of Gears of War 4 to be a significant leap over the Xbox One in terms of visual fidelity, since the PC version and it's assets will form the foundation for Gears of War 4 on the Scorpio console.

You obviously didn't read my post, nor did you read the article. :rolleyes: The game will use volumetric light scattering and real time global illumination bounce lighting for some light sources. Overall, it uses both static and dynamic lighting like most games these days.

30 FPS in campaign, 60 FPS in multiplayer.

There are differences, but I kind of agree with you here. The thing is, the people that love Gears of War also love the repetitive gameplay. Seems like Gears of War 4 wants to appeal to that crowd.

They have made changes though, but they are minor overall based on the gameplay samples I've seen. However, the gameplay reveals have been very small so far.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i can't say i was overly impressed by that video.

Those who have saw the game in person were much more impressed though, alot sounds like it was down to the OLED HDR TV it was connected to rather than just the game though.

Most of the issues in that video would be sorted in a PC version anyway, and it sounds like the PC port has had a fair amount of effort put into it.

Liking the fact the graphic options have a nice mixture of manual and auto settings, it keeps the tinkerers happy and also makes PC gaming more attractive who just want to play games and not get distracted by the customisation nonsense, which i get as i am one of those people who gets distracted.
    Would like to see this in more PC games, and not just MS ones.

Can't say i'm getting much from the gameplay though, i only really enjoyed GOW2 and that was because of split screen co-op.

6. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Gears4_e3_2016_3_jd.jpg
    http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Gears4_e3_2016_10_drone_battle.jpg
    http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Gears4_e3_2016_11_pods.jpg

To my eyes it's easly the best looking UE4 game, it's finally on pair with UE4 demos. Fantastic lighting and superb shadows depth, metalic surfaces looks like real not like plastic (I dont like Gears Of War remaster for that reason), and all materials and textures use some nice looking shaders. On top of that environments and character models are highly detailed. There's also a lot going on the screen, swaying grass, trees, and finaly that storm with lightnings and windflares (that game must look spectacluar on HDTV with HDR).

here's some PC only features
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/gears-of-war-4-pc-features-unveiled-framerate-will-be-unlocked/

When it comes to gameplay, they are not trying to reinvent the wheel like many games today. GOW4 looks exactly like previous gears of war games, and that's why I like it.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    You can't really judge the game's visuals based on the video posted above.
    Youtube videos will never give you a straight 1:1 look at a game's visual fidelity. There will also be some sort of compression and image loss.

I mean, look back at DOOM's trailer.
    A ton of people just bagged on it because it "didn't look good enough" from the trailers. Yet, the game looks awesome.

I think Gears 4 looks great. And beyond that, it looks FUN. Which, to me, is far more important.
    I looks like the best elements of Gears 2 and 3, and with destructible cover and more use of the physics and world objects in combat... is a small, but nice addition.
    I'm thrilled it's coming to PC.
    Gears Ultimate Edition was actually a pretty good port. And The Coalition maintained excellent post-release support.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I agree, UE4 has perhaps the best PBR of any engine. Only Frostbite 3 comes close imo..

Yep, The Coalition looks like a studio that is serious about supporting their games. I was surprised at how quickly they patched up Gears Ultimate Edition in fact, considering the sales weren't very good.

9. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Let me see if I have this straight - Gears of War:
    1: PC
    2: no PC
    3: no PC
    4: PC

Is that right? I don't suppose they'll release 2 and 3 at some point? The physics at around the 4 minute mark where the wind is blowing debris around the combat field, changing the cover points and whatnot looks pretty fun.

edit - did they remove active reloading?

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I have never played any Gears of War games but I don't really tend to like 3rd person games much anymore.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    and no Multi-gpu support

awesome , DX12 is a blast

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    That is correct.. we have had the first game twice and now the 4th game.

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The Coalition have expressed interest in bringing 2 and 3 to PC, but ultimately it's up to Microsoft. They want to do it, but MS are not sold on it.
    MS seem to think supporting PC gaming only means bringing brand new games to the platform, while they continue to ignore the older titles we never got.

Similar to how with HALO... we got 1 and 2. And MS have commented that 6 will come to PC. But, 3,4,5, ODST and Reach... most likely will never happen.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1264104

[​IMG]

System specifications, I don't think the Win10 store does a download and then install so it's probably going to be ~ 80 GB, big game, at least file-size wise. :D
    ("Biggest game on PC 2016" might have a bit of a marketing use though, "In terms of file size." written in some tiny barely readable print under it. :p )

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  15. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Well I have recommended covered but pretty far off of ideal. I guess 60fps should still be doable without dips, but with some of the bling turned down/off. And what's the deal with 16GB of RAM? I have watched countless benchmarks and there's never any difference between 8 and 16 in games, not even a frame in most cases.

16. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    and still no multi-gpu support

17. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I bet it could be all lossless compressed with a size around 20gb, consoles just don´t have processor for it.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They should compress it for us, what a waste of space and time with the massive download.

19. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    Has HDR support been confirmed in either direction for PC? I've scoured the interwebs looking for any snippet from the devs that mentions PC and HDR in the same sentence but found nothing.

I "upgraded" the 970 in my mITX rig to a 1060 for the singular reason that the 970 doesn't support HDR. Not much of an upgrade I know but it only cost me about $50 USD net. Now before anyone points out that a 1060 isn't capable of rendering Gears 4 at 4K, it's important to note that resolution and 10bit/HDR color are mutually exclusive. The 1060 should do nicely at 1080p.

20. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    well, i fail the requirements, still on Windows 7 :V