Windows 10 Build 14393

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

Improvements and fixes for PC

• We have improved the reliability of Start, Cortana, and Action Center.
    • You should now be able to mount iPods as USB mass-storage devices.

Known issues for PC

• We are aware of certain cases in which Surface Books and Surface Pro 4’s may bugcheck (bluescreen) due to a camera driver issue. An updated driver will roll-out via Windows Update soon that will fix this.
    • [UPDATE] After updating to this build (Build 14393), you should no longer experience bugchecks (bluescreens) due to a camera driver issue. The bad driver is removed on updating to this build and a new driver is rolling out via Windows Update.

Source:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/18/build14393/

ESDs
    Code:
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/5P3D/v7xzand7o
    Decrypter
    Code:
    https://t.co/K43SsWZmG9

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Thanks, installing now:)

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Could someone plug in an xbox one controller (wired or wireless), launch steam bpm and check in controller settings whether it's detecting two xinput devices? If it is, you should also be seeing double input in the bpm UI.

edit: tried and still broken. Can't even rollback to 1511 :-/
    physx set to cpu and nvcp reset. If you have done a lot of customizations there, do double check on your pc.
    system restore switched off, again. Idiots ...
    realtek hd audio cp remembers all settings except your setup - from stereo it goes to 7.1

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even if it is 'RTM' per se, it won't be the same as the installed build people get on 02 August. It would just mean any changes from now on will come in a cumulative update, not a new build.

Apparently for Redstone 2, or at least sometime during its testing, instead of getting new builds that are essentially working as a refresh, the changes will be in a cumulative update. That would make updating quick and easy if they do that :). There still may be complete builds and downloads occassionally even if that is the case.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah updates instead of full installs have been a requested feature for a while so that sounds like a good improvement once they get that in order. :)

And unless something goes really wrong then going by some of the things I've read there's a few differences compared to 14390 and this 14393 build which almost completely confirms that this is the "final" RS1 build though as mentioned in the above post Microsoft can still fix some additional things via Windows Update and post them ahead of the August 2nd release as the first of the RS1 cumulative updates so the build will probably change from 14393.0 to 14393.xx depending on if the ISO images and retail DVD's have these pre-installed or not, Win10 also checks for updates before install if it's possible and will download the latest available cumulative update that way too.

Takes a while to get used to some of the changes and as usual you'll probably want to tweak some of the settings and policies but RS1 is pretty damn fast and the other enhancements are welcome too even if I personally am not much for the app stuff.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There aren't any showstopper bugs either. Very safe to install it proper. It also won't be a bad idea to use the release preview ring to get updates early, especially now.

If you're upgrading, you should just double check if your settings are retained. I don't see any major glitches or performance issues the way past upgrades were.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If it's RTM, then it will be the same build people get on August 2nd, except there will probably be an update too, which is the same thing that's been going on with Windows forever with patch Tuesday etc

They aren't going to ship an untested build on August 2nd, otherwise the Insiders programme was pointless

Same as TH1, TH2, Insiders get it a couple weeks before the public, nothing new :)

Thinking I might install it clean today on my main machine

Blog says they will send out updates to fix a problem with the surface, if they were planning any further RS1 insiders builds, they would fix it in a new build like previously IMO

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the known issue with Surface devices is going to be resolved in a soon-to-be released driver update that will likely go live in a few days at most, it just wasn't ready in time for the builds release to the fast-ring but I don't think they would hold up the release for a driver issue.
    (Slow-ring maybe as that's meant to be more stable, perhaps why they started with the fast-ring with 14393 and then slow-ring will follow shortly although enabling a new build for slow-ring directly might be a bit risky so having it tested for a while by fast-ring insiders makes sense too just in case something is discovered.)

(Even with the speedier fast-ring releases with RS1 most builds are kept unreleased but MS can't test every possible situation and software themselves so the feedback and reports from insiders have probably been very useful.)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well, I decided to try an upgrade first until it's confirmed this is RTM, save having to clean install twice

3/4 of the way through the upgrade I got a BSOD, with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

It successfully rolled back to TH2, and gave this error

[​IMG]

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Be good to know what causes those BSODS.

12. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    I always image my system with 3rd party imaging software before any major updates Microsoft roll back is not reliable.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Removed NOD32, tried again, got this one
    [​IMG]

Made a GPT/UEFI USB stick from the same ISO, upgraded perfectly

3rd time's a charm

Rolled back twice, no issues at all

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My PC downloaded this update this morning but I had to leave for work so I left the actual installation until later.

15. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    Working fine for me no problems.

16. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    this build feels better

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    In what way?

18. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    just feels a bit smoother and snappier to me

19. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    I agree

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Left this installing while I had my tea last night and came back upstairs to the familiar desktop and Windows Build 14393 according to winver. Apart from a few hiccups post-install such as my Sound Blaster Z again being set to 5.1 instead of 2.0/2.1 and some reset File Explorer views, I would not have even known that a new build had been installed as it all appears exactly as before.

Still have the issue with installing/updating Store apps and games on anything but my C drive though and while I can move games from my H drive to my C drive (using Settings > Apps & Features > Move) in order to successfully update them, I am unable to move them back from C to H due to an access denied error 0x80070005. I am unable to even move Stores apps/games to any other drive either whether it be D, E, I, J, K or L! The WindowsApps folder is created on those drives then the install or move fails leaving an empty folder.

This issue is absolutely infuriating me at the moment as I have no idea what the root cause is. I do now that it is some kind of permissions error and it seems to have been triggered when I first opted into the Insider Preview and installed Build 14385 for the first time. However, restoring v1511 Build 10586.xxx does not fix it, likely because I messed some security settings while trying to fix the issue on H.

Does anyone here know about security permissions, specifically those for the Windows Store and games/apps installed on drives other than the default location (usually C)? I posted on the Windows Ten forum but I have yet to receive a single reply to it (I was hoping Brink might have at least posted something).