Afterburner not disabling ULPS on 16.7.2?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mstcobra, Jul 15, 2016.

1. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    Is it just something on my end or is MSI Afterburner not disabling ULPS with the latest 16.7.2 drivers?

2. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    Upon further investigation it seems that clicking 'Disable ULPS' in Afterburner only changes the value under key 0000 but not under 0001.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Perhaps the software gets confused (or doesn't take into account.) by you having two GPU's thus two registry entries for settings?
    (Single-GPU systems should only have 00000 so while I'm no expert I assume 00001 is for the other GPU.)

Still changing the setting manually and rebooting should work as a work-around at least. :)

EDIT: Does the Catalyst_Version registry string say anything different?
    (Mine says 15.8 but that's because Crimson changed how this was done but it might still help if it's a older remaining driver config and not as I had assumed it being for multiple GPU setups, if so a clean install with the driver should work although if you do choose to use a utility like Display Driver Uninstaller remember to take a system restore save just in case, it should be perfectly stable and everything but a backup should ensure things will work out if something does bug.)

Alternatively for a lesser uninstall (If this is indeed a older driver remaining in the registry but someone with more experience or a Crossfire user would have to confirm as I'm unsure myself which is correct.) you should also be able to just delete both 00000 and 00001 and then go to the device manager and delete the GPU's and selecting "yes" when asked to also delete the driver, let Windows go to the default VGA one and then restart and re-install the 16.7.2 driver or which one you want to use and that should also take care of it but not as cleanly as a complete uninstall or tool assisted uninstall would.

(Deleting these reg keys and then rebooting or deleting them and then trying to install the driver again without first "resetting" the GPU like this might cause the driver install to not detect your GPU at first, better let it default back to the Windows VGA one and reboot to make sure everything is properly unloaded.)

(EDIT: And yeah once again system restore or similar if you are unsure before doing anything else, better safe than sorry or how the saying goes.)

EDIT:
    " Perhaps the software gets confused (or doesn't take into account.) by you having two GPU's thus two registry entries for settings? "

Ugh what am I writing, disabling ULPS is for disabling "Ultra low power state" for the secondary (Or third or fourth.) GPU in Crossfire configurations for preventing the GPU to enter a almost powered-down idle state. :)
    (Thus a tweak like this should best target the second, third or fourth GPU and set the registry edit for those, main/master GPU has no need for it.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  4. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Yes, Afterburner also changes the registry key for the master GPU on my setup, instead of the slave one, when I try to disable ULPS. I believe it is failing to properly detect which GPU is mater and which is slave.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Use search and RTFM please. It was repeated a lot of times in AB forums that this option is only affecting independent GPUs connected to Windows desktop. Which means that proper way of disabling ULPS for each card via AB is: disable CF to make EACH desired GPU to be visible to OS as independent graphics card, extend Windows desktop on EACH desired GPU then disable ULPS via AB. CF can be re-enabled after ding that.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well that explains that then, interesting, I had no idea but then I have never used Crossfire myself either. :)

Huh so the GPU's are detected differently when "crossfired" than when they're stand-alone.
    (Gives me something to read up on, and try to remember for future references.)

EDIT: Sifted through some early search result for ULPS just for curiosity, it comes up a lot so it'll take some time to read it all.

These are about the closest results I've found for now.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3391245&postcount=303
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4984193&postcount=4

(I mean the answer is right in the above post but I had no idea ULPS had that much of a troublesome effect, shame AMD doesn't stick some toggle button in CCC / CNext if it's that problematic but eh I guess just adding more advanced functionality like that is bad practice too.)

(Not like there's much documentation on what all the other AMD driver registry settings actually correspond too either for that matter heh.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  7. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    Thanks for the feedback and info guys. I know assumptions can be dangerous but my assumption was that when I checked "Synchronize settings for similar graphics processors" that it would apply to all settings.

[​IMG]

8. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    use radeon mod, in my exp, it does the job correctly and in all the correct places, and its at the top of this forums section.