Is it safe to buy an SSD not on the MB 'Compatibility List' ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Groovy-Music, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    I got a fairly recent motherboard (Gigabyte Z170 G1 Gaming 7) and the compatibility list for SSD is DISMAL: it has around 30 officially supported disks from across 15 different vendors (only 1 or 2 supported disks per vendor)
    Also, most of the supported SSD and very small in capacity, like 40 or 80GB.

Now that NewEgg is offering over 1000 different SSDs and some are having nice discounts, I'm looking at a 480 GB ADATA SSD for 108 US$.

I read all the user reviews for this SSD, and a lot of the user are using it in their 4-5 year old laptops.
    I suppose this SSD is not in everybody's supported list, so is it safe for me to take the chance to try it?

I asked my friend who bought 2 separate 1TB SSD for his 2 years old computer and he was NOT even aware of a compatibility list whatsoever...:3eyes:

My Motherboard is a Z170 chipset with 6 native SATAIII ports and supports AHCI/RAID.

I'm asking knowledgeable Gurus because my computer is so heavy and difficult of access and to pull it and put it back in its cabinet,:bonk: I want to make sure the parts have a chance to work together before to even start the process. It wouldn't be so difficult if I had an open 'Test Bench' on a table, like Hilbert...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That's one thing that doesn't matter, forget about their list.

95% of all SSDs are going to work.

Some SSDs have issues with being detected on certain chipsets but these are rare cases and usually isolated on older systems.

3. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Agent-A01: T h a n k Y o u

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    It's highly unlikely that any new motherboard would have an issue with SSD compatibility. Basically any SATA III SSD should work just fine on your current motherboard. :)

5. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Thank you for securising me with the compatibility guys: I bought the SSD during the sale!
    I will tell you how it went and put the thread title as [SOLVED] hopefully in around 2 weeks, because I'm waiting for the new MSI 1070 Aero OC to arrive in store here and then I'll be putting everything together.

6. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Same goes for RAM, the list is always outdated and most modules work.