Fast sync

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Terepin, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    So I got my new shiny 1070, tried Fast sync aaaand... it sucks. It reduces lag, yes, but at the cost of heavy stuttering. So it's a nice feature, but only on paper. Bummer.

BlindBison likes this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So the suttering is not just on my 680 then.

Had hoped it worked flawless for games like Skyrim where you have terrible Mouse Lag with V-Sync.

3. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Fast sync or V sync I'm wondering is Fast sync not an amd feauture ? nvm I mixed up with Freesync :p

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I believe Fast Sync is only intended to be used in games with really high refresh rates (well above 60 fps) which would minimise the stuttering you see with lower framerates. Sounds like it is best suited for twitch shooters for people who prefer to play on the lowest graphical settings so they have 200+ fps.

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    In games it's fine for me but when i play videos with HW accel i get horrible stuttering and sometimes bsods. I'll keep it disabled for now.

6. c0dycode

c0dycode Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    So it isn't only available for Maxwell und Pascal?
    I'm reading different things. Some say it is, now you say it makes a difference on a 680. Can someone enlighten me? :nerd:

7. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    works perfectly here in overwatch, but thats the only game iv tested.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Kepler should support it.

But useless unless you have at least 2-3x your refresh rate in FPS.

Using it otherwise will cause stuttering

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    What else did you expect, its ATI.

10. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    I tried it in CS:GO, it removes tearing but it makes micro stutter more apparent to me. I think no vsync at all is better in CS:GO, even though it is consistently worse, it's the consistency that makes it more playable.

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Not sure I've seen this option yet. Where is it enabled/disabled? Game settings or the nvidia control panel?

12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    lol
    I've read "fart sync"

sorry for ot :D

13. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    mouse lag in bethesda gamebryo engine games is completely removed by changing those two values in the respective game inis (skyrim.ini & skyrimprefs.ini, fallout4.ini & fallout4prefs.ini, ...etc)

iPresentInterval=1 -> 0
    bMouseAcceleration=1 -> 0

and then force vsync with enboost for skyrim in the enblocal.ini

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I believe it's not officially implented yet into the Control Panel. For now you can activate it with NVIDIA Inspector as 0x18888888.

It does work, as there is no Screen Tearing. But some people end up with bad stuttering. Perhaps it's just still in a testing phase.

15. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080

Manage 3D settings > Vertical Sync > Change from "Use the 3D application settings" to "Fast"

16. The mouse lag can not be "completely removed". Meh over at nexus has made some progress with reducing it recently, though.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76747/?

17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Only tried it in GTA V, and yes stuttering was big. Bigger than when with v-sync you go under your monitors refresh rate even. In Witcher 3 I have 60FPS 99% of the time so I stuck with regular v-sync and frames capped at 60...

Fast-sync might get better with drivers, and it should be useful in FPS games especially.

18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Oh, OK.

I actually did enable that ("Fast") this morning on Fallout 4 (@2160p) and the results were pretty good on my new 1070. It kept switching from 90 to 60 FPS (according to FRAPS) but the game seemed to play pretty smooth and it stopped the game from defaulting to 30FPS which was brutal. My 4K tv can only do 60hz anyways so this option may be a nice new feature.

I'll have to try "Fast" in some other games like The Witcher 3 or just outright set it as default and see how things go..

19. Marctraider

Marctraider Member

GPU:
    670GTX
    I'd avoid Fast Sync like the plague, stutters, only works *kuch* 'well' *kuch* in certain FPS ranges.

Either get G-Sync monitor, or unless you are unfortunate like me, and stuck with other solutions:

Try applying V-sync to your game and use the FPS cap at 57-59~ range.
    This will yield way better results.

It's also extremely important to NOT use any external FPS limiter (including nvidia driver) because they introduce input lag at all times. so use in-game fps limiter if possible otherwise youre screwed either way imho.

Start at 59 and go down until you eliminated input lag to a desired level.

The nice thing about in-game fps cap is that it is often affected by HPET vs TSC and Windows Timer Resolution. All these tools can further finetune the fps cap if needed.

The net result is the absolute best method to remove screen tearing with minimal input lag if G-sync is unavailable.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  20. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Has anyone tested this with the latest set of drivers? There were some mentioned improvements...