ROTM: Guru3D Rig of the Month - June 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ya'll meet the June edition of the Guru3D Rig of the Month 2016. This months build is is called "Project p5yche" by Guru3D familiar Darwin P. The man in reality is a scientist, but likes ...

ROTM: Guru3D Rig of the Month - June 2016

2. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Now thats a rig of the month wow absolutly awesome.The green and white colors are gorgeous.Hats off for this mod.

3. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Really nice build and clean work, looks really unique!

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Looks awesome. The creativity, originality I see in many of these guru rigs is really something to behold.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Too large and overkill cooling.
    Design is clean and nice, that's plus point.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Something different this month. Great work.

8. Reqruiz

Reqruiz Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Huh, few fans more and you could use it as drone, lol ;-) Very nice design anyway.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Eh, it's mostly just really wide. It otherwise isn't all that big considering what's in it, and at least it's interesting to look at. I do agree the cooling is excessive, especially considering there didn't appear to be any mention of overclocking.

Anyway this is definitely one of the more interesting RotM submissions lately.

10. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Great rig!! Love the colors and straight lines!

"Overkill cooling....?!" Like there is a thing. I can imagine speaking up if there was insufficient cooling, but to scoff at "overkill...!?" Ha!!

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    In my computer, I have a FX-6300 overclocked to 4.5GHz with a ~650g air cooler. If I turned off Cool'n'Quiet, I'd probably be able to reach 4.8GHz. I've never seen the temperature exceed 64C, on a hot day. This heatsink is sucking up a lot of ambient heat from the motherboard and GPU too. This CPU has a significantly higher TDP than a modern i7, and is much more prone to being maxed-out. So, when someone has not one, not two, but three radiators cooling [seemingly] non-overclocked parts in a relatively open case, then yes, there is such thing as overkill. Don't forget the wattage involved powering all those fans and the water pump, and the collective noise of it all.

It's a great cooling system, there's no denying it. But I'd like to see those parts get overclocked and the resulting temperatures. That's exciting to me. But without an overclock, this cooling system is so overkill that the creator could probably turn off all the fans and still have safe temperatures after an hour of load. So in another perspective, why spend so much money on such an amazing system and not take advantage of it?

12. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    looks very cool, but i have a concern.. i would like to see the temps on the CPU after 100% of use of both GPUs (lets say rendering some 3D frames).. for me it looks like an awesome PC for the livingroom or the studio.

13. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    The leds for the fans on the first rad don't reflect in the same direction as the others, minus one star :p .....awesome rig. :thumbup:

14. Unstizzy

Unstizzy Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Looks awesome. Can we get some OC stats? All I saw was a 3Dmark score.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Oh my god...

Those molex power cables feeding from your gpu's make me so happy.

16. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Wow. That's awesome. I salute you sir.

17. WithoutWeakness

WithoutWeakness Guest

GPU:
    8GB Corsair 1866mhz
    His parts are definitely overclocked. Given the hardware listed and the reported 3DMark Fire Strike score of 23,501 points, the CPU is likely overclocked to around 4.7 GHz (a great overclock for Haswell-E) and the GPUs are OC'd and boosting to around ~1500 MHz (pretty standard for GTX 980). This can be checked by searching 3DMark's database for similar scores from machines with matching hardware configs:
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8778144
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8692877

The CPU is 140W at stock and is likely pulling ~250W when overclocked to 4.7 GHz. Similarly, the GPUs will pull ~175-200W each under full load at stock speed and ~250W each when overclocked. With two GPUs plus the CPU this machine is likely putting out around 800W+ of heat when including the motherboard's power delivery and other components.

Three 480mm radiators is probably a little overkill; two would be fine for most people in this scenario. But if he wants to run his fans at extremely low speeds and have this rig run near-silent while still keeping those chips frosty then I can see the case for 3 radiators. After all, isn't that what water cooling is really about?

18. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    AMAZING setup, but that slimy green color gives me this extreme headache for some reason :( Maybe I have found my weakness lol

19. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Relevant avatar. :)