Overwatch Competitive Mode out Today on PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Got game two day ago. Still not lv25 to try.
    I do like and dislike many aspects of game.

I dislike Hanzo. His fully charged bow shot is 1-headshot-kill for any 200HP support/attacker. And because of movement mechanics and map design (lots of choke points), it is way too easy to score them.
    Black Widow in 1-head-shot-kill for 200HP characters is OK, because sniper mode takes time to enable and charge and she is not able to run while zoomed in. Hanzo has no disadvantage for such powerful attack.

Then I dislike that some characters have auto-targeting damaging abilities. McCree "High Noon nearly insta-kill of anyone visible". Reaper's "Death Blossom" does not use his shotgun mechanics with strong damage fall off and is basically AoE pulsating attack with 600dmg, enough to score penta-kill.
    Soldier: 76's aimbot, rapid fire ultimate...

And I dislike those huge AoE no skill attacks: Pharah, Hanzo, Bastion.

Basically I think that damage mechanics in game need tweaking, otherwise it is not really suited for serious competitive play.
    Lame people can always take Hanzo and get Match Highlight for shooting ultimate.

What I like is map design, game mode design and mostly character look design.
    I like that characters have different movement mechanics.
    Blizzard came with great spray mechanics. Spray where you wish, as much you wish. Just one of your sprays is visible at time.
    I like that healers will not save bad players. Even two keeping one dumb person will not be enough to save him/her.

I play healer, that means I do not get match Highlight often. And there are characters who's highlights I never seen.
    That speaks of team value balancing and evaluation from Blizzards side of things.
    - - - -
    With competitive, people will not play character they like to play, they'll pick character which will get them team victory.
    And then Blizzard will realize from statistics how unbalanced game really is.

As Mercy, It is harder to be good support and win as team has to be good. I often get ridiculously high amount of recommendations at end for just healing 8000HP and resurrecting 6 people.
    But as Lucio, I do get to have even 4 Gold Medals at end of game. He still heals a lot (2000~4000) as he has passive AoE heal which he boosts when needed + sonic armor ultimate. But at same time he can deal damage and heals himself due to passive AoE heal. With him I had matches where I did not die once and was on fire 96% of match + 90% of match time on objective.
    - - - -
    Blizzard will have tough time redesigning those super strong ultimates, but dmg of Hanzo can be easily fixed.
    He has 28 spam dmg and spams 2 arrows/second. Or fully charged 125dmg and shoots 0.74 arrows per second that way.
    That's 56dps spam and 92.5dps charge.
    Easy to boost spam dmg like 35 per shot to have 70dps and reduce charge shot to 110 to have 81dps.
    - That way he gets to have 1st initiating shot damage advantage and would be able to spam without big penalty to dps.
    - His charged shot would still headshot-IK character with 200HP, but those few characters where it should be excluded from this easy killing could be boosted to 225HP. (one scratch and you die, fully healed and you live)

This even demonstrates how useful Symetra's shield is against Hanzo. Shield gives 25 "life", that's 225 and Hanzo deals 250. Torbjorn's armor is only way to survive that headshot for squishies. (And he's not even support, and people do not play him often.)
    - - - -
    TL;DR: Blizzard has only 21 characters and they do not even fit together. Some skills are OP, uncounterable, others have abilities which make no practical difference to game. (Team fight commitment is nearly non existent due to fast respawn and bad Graphics user interface.)

SMITE in contrast will hit 100 Gods in near future, and all is well balanced. (Team fights are epic and are decisive factor to game.)

Though, undeniably, both games are fun.

If I throw into mix Paragon, that's not going to have competitive life. One match there takes 40~60 minutes and everything is quite slow (large map, slow characters outside travel mode). But that mechanics makes commitment to team fight real thing as it is hard to get away once you are in combat. (I kind of liked game, but not unskilled part of community there.)

Battleborn is already dead. Got tons of bad reviews on steam too. I do not think relaunch will help it. Not even F2P. There I liked only 3 character designs, that's beyond redemption.

3. Deragot

Deragot Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Zotac
    I don't mean this as a rude comment in no way, but you really should give the game more than two days to be able to judge it accurately.
    First of all - SMITE ??? it has been said a thousand times already but Overwatch is not a moba. So apples and oranges.

The no-skill ults you mention are such only in the low levels. At higher levels even in quickmatch they are not so deadly at all as there are a number of ways to counter them. In the tournaments Hanzo is one of the least picked chars, so this kinda proves that he is not that unbalanced.
    There is a ton of things about the game that are unique and well designed, including the the skill floor and ceiling. Usually ppl get on the floor quick and think the got to the sky, but in fact they have not seen the ceiling yet.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    qft.

5. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Hanzo is an annoying character because of that but, he's not very good, he has low mobility compared to his counterparts and he is always at risk of not being actually useful to the team because of how people play him. His ult is powerful for sure, but it's not hard to avoid if you know there is a Hanzo on the enemy team, same as reaper ult, they're only really powerful when you have low situational awareness (basically don't group up so heavily at choke points if there's a hanzo or be aware that he coulkd ult at any time).

Phara has a relatively low splash radius and is designed to counter characters like reaper by out ranging them, she is also great at breaking apart groups of enemies with her knockback.

Mcree's ult is powerful as **** for sure, but he also shouts out "I'TS HIGH ****ING NOON YOU BASTARDS" before firing it, and is blocked by any LOS or reindhardt shield

Thing about OW is that most of it is about situational awareness, knowing when to use certain character to achieve certain goals, I think the worst thing that could happen to OW is a rigidly established META like in MOBAs, firstly because the idea of a META is ****ing absurd in anycase and secondly because the fluidity of the game is what makes it fun.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    For me he only says 'it's high noon' ;) where can I download that mod? Will it get me banned? :D

7. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    The problem with competitive is that you get in a ****ty team and there is no way that you can win that round alone(aka, they dont cover the mercy or the support, the team being in defense go to the attack team spawn point getting themselves in a bad spot, then they complain that you dont heal them)

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Aren't there any lods when playing on max settings?

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I find it interesting that a game that is this varied among characters and unbalanced in general could be considered for a second to be a "competitive shooter".

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah... I guess these days competitive shooters aren't chosen by the competitors anymore, but the devs. Opposed to how it used to be.