Reference PCB 480 with an third party cooler OC @ 1425

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zer0_c0ol, Jun 29, 2016.

1. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Whoah , have to be carefull that the card doesnt break in 2 lol

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    12% overclock.... WOOHOO
    :3eyes:

Dream of very special Polaris OC needs to die

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    On a single 6 pin plus reffernce.. You do understand that this means 1500+ on custom aib cards

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Watched a review earlier saying 1.6% OC = 8c temp rise, and any higher crashed the machine

[​IMG]

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yes

on truly lucky ones like this one

170W radiating from that tiny 250mm2 die
    if 980 Ti had that same heat density, it would be a 400+W card

that's how how much awesome untapped OC potential lies there.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There probably won't be any really special OC. On the other hand a 4% core OC and 10% memory OC gave the Digital Foundry an average 10.5% performance increase. And that was with the reference card. There is an obvious power limit.

It's also obvious that it won't clock as high as NVIDIA cards. I'm not sure we'll see any AIBs above 1.4GHz, but at least it seems to be scaling very well with OC.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  8. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Oh it won't, I've used heavier bigger things.

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    We don't know yet if it was just luck, or the card behaves that way in general. He seems to be the first person reporting results back after changing the cooler like that. There is also the power limit. See my previous post about OC scaling. I don't believe it will OC like crazy or anything, but at 1.4 it should be performing really well.

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Aibs actually said to Kyle over at hardocp that the custom cards will go up to 1.6 but silicone lottery

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I believe that performance at 1.4 would be quite solid, especially with the way it looks like it's scaling. I have no hope for anything approaching 1.5, it will be a really nice surprise if it does. If nothing else, the higher frequencies will unclog the ROPs. By the way, AMD seems to have done an amazing job with the whole pixel part of this one. It goes against cards with double the ROPs somehow.

12. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    This is not too shabby

[​IMG]
    Gotta wonder how much power this draws though

13. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Get a GTX 970 and get over it.

15. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    Heh. Who measured? GPU-Z ?

I don't see GPU-Z reporting 170w for a stock card do I ?

If stock is 170W, and 1425/2200 is 180W, I'll poop in my hat and wear it

16. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    the 180W (184,x to be more accurate) is from the article
    http://oc.jagatreview.com/2016/06/t...deon-rx480-ke-1-4ghz-dengan-cooler-3rd-party/

another thing thats impressive: do you all notice how the fanspeed stays at 19% all the time... while temps are at 65°C MAX...
    this just means.. with a little love from the AIBs i dont see ANY problem with this card AT ALL..
    and all the badmouthing about how hot this card will run is just angry people who have hard times accepting a very successful piece of inexpensive hardware.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Single 6-pin is not ideal for the 480, esp when OC'ing. It draws above 75w from the pci-e slot:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

Of course 8-pin AIBs would solve that. In meantime, I wouldnt be surprised if AMD releases a driver to limit the power draw on their ref 6-pin cards. They've acknowledged the issue and are studying it carefully:

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    i mean if they make a vbios change which will limit PCIe draw to comply with specs all time... then the card will ask for the extra power from the 6-pin if you force it to...
    and... who would actually care about going out of the somewhat conservative 75w "spec" on a 6-pin molex... lol...

this issue is again overheated by people who read a topic called
    "attention new problem found with rx480"
    then copy paste the information into the forum of their choice and bang onto anyone who tries to talk some sense into them.

yes. more than 75w from pci-e is above specification but even 160w from pci-e wont kill your MB.

and if anybody starts talking about molex 6 pin spec... yeah i wont comment on that to be serious. those people who are informed enough to even know that there is a 75w spec on a 6pin molex will not be smart enough to also know that this is an extremely "engineer-typical" conservative specification that is more likely 1/3 of the real physical maximum

to be honest probably they even don't need to do anything in that case, but to ease some smoking heads they should just make a vbios update and transfer the load to the 6pin.
    with dual 6 or 8 pin of the AIBs we wont have the discussion anyway. easy fix.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Hm, it gets the same score as the Nano with no throttling. I wonder how it would behave in games where the Fiji/earlier GCN revisions seem to have geometry/feeding problems. It will probably be faster on those and choke a bit on older titles that are bandwidth sensitive.

Getting a 960/970/980/380/390/390x with this one out, is one of the most retarded things that anyone could possibly do. This and the upcoming (July 7th, according to the rumors) 1060 just killed all those cards.

I highly doubt that the average draw is 170W while playing actual games. It still sounds too much to me.

I can't seem to find the wattage reference in the article. He says though that the core voltage was 1.15V, which looks fine and more or less on the same ballpark I expected. I believe that with VRM cooling and an 8pin or a 6+6 configuration he could have done more. He was certainly power restricted.

Gigantic coolers help in general, and a good AIB cooler would be better than what he used, and also cover the VRM properly.

20. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    it's on page -1- on the gpu-z screenshot.
    you probably didn't look for it on the gpu-z shot because for older cards it doesn't show power draw. ;)

check out his one-sentence post bashing on AMD... then you what this guy is about... also in the "no DVI-D port" discussion...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016