[Question] RX480 8G draws 80W+ from the PCIe slot - what does this mean for me?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by artisticMink, Jun 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. artisticMink

artisticMink Guest

GPU:
    GTX780 SuperJetstream
    Hello folks, i was about to aim for an 2x RX480 4G crossfire when i've looked up tomshardware.com: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

From tomshardware.com
    That sounds more like RX480 crossfire will be 'Crossfire for the brave'. I've got a slightly dated but sturdy Asus P9x79 and i'm rather worried that i'll damage my board in the long run. Two german outlets, heise.de and computerbase.de pointed this out as well.

Any insights from people more into the matter would be much appriciated.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Maybe wait for some aib cards and see if that is fixed there. My only advice. Seems rather risky else possibly.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Seems that the card is begging for an 8pin to lower PCIE draw

4. Paul5850

Paul5850 Guest

GPU:
    Gainward Phantom GTX 970
    AMD selling counterfeit goods? :infinity:

5. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Think I will skip this card and see maybe custom RX470 or 1060

Toms Hardware
    "We skipped long-term overclocking and overvolting tests, since the Radeon RX 480’s power consumption through the PCIe slot jumped to an average of 100W, peaking at 200W. We just didn’t want to do that to our test platform."

Might just kill your motherboard...

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Custom rx 480 might solve that issue also with 1x 8 pin.

7. artisticMink

artisticMink Guest

GPU:
    GTX780 SuperJetstream
    From AMD_robert over on /r/AMD

Let's see how it turns out, but the card is frequently exceeding 160w power usage, a lot of reviews got up to 180w. The magazines reporting the PCIe issue aren't 'just some tech blogs' but pretty well-respected outlets that have been around for a while. This looks more like damage control to me.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  8. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    aye, damage control indeed. Particularly because he talks about 110w GPU only power consumption, and pretending like everything is fine and in the end total power is 150w. It's not. It's closer to 170w.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    AMD rates the tbp. But it is still messed considering the 160-180. I would guess aibs might eat tad less actually with same clocks.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    "a few GPUs exhibiting anomalous behavior"

Do they rly need to be corporate dicks? Can't they give it straight for once?

I mean it's $200-250 dollar product, and obviously it won't win any ruggedness or safety award.
    So it stamps a little over PCI-E compliance... bfd.
    Just don't use it in servers, and never leave your house with your PC turned on :D

11. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    True, but really the issue is that they misrepresented the power consumption; the motherboard issue should have an easy fix, redistribute power among board and 6pin and allow the 6pin to go over spec. It's much less of a big deal, an average of 100w on your mobo (when you oc a tiny amount as it seems) will at least cause problems for the integrated soundcard, particularly on cheap boards. OEM systems with the cheapest boards available won't like it.

12. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    For me it means... Reference RX480 = SHELF

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Do we actually see anywhere an average of "100W" on the mobo? Also their decision to go with single six pin instead of 8 pin seems completely retarded. AIBs shouldn't have this problem, and anyone not overclocking their reference should be ok.

Btw, this is what AMD_Robert posted on Reddit:

The reddit original post seems very informative in general and I agree with the poster's conclusion.

AIBs will fix all of this (it's not even hard to do so actually), but it's quite pathetic. From the paperclip Pascal PCBs to this ****, quality has gone way down this cycle.

14. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    The average of 100W comes from Tom's Hardware, who use this to justify not doing extended OC testing out of fear it would damage their test system. Afaik there are failsafes and the system should just reboot unless something goes very wrong

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nothing to worry about guys , just a bad RX480 sample that's it , not all of them shows this behaviour , only isolated cases. " Facts: " https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...specification/d4sy0c3?st=iq1j4xdz&sh=dfcc952f

AMD_RobertTechnical Marketing 47 points 4 hours ago
    You have to meet the spec to be awarded the PCIe logo and certification. I think that's pretty telling.

]AMD_RobertTechnical Marketing 320 points 4 hours ago*
    1) The RX 480 meets the bar for PCIe compliance testing with PCI-SIG. //edit: and interop with PCI Express. This is not just our internal testing. I think that should be made very clear. Obviously there are a few GPUs exhibiting anomalous behavior, and we've been in touch with these reviewers for a few days to better understand their test configurations to see how this could be possible.
    2) Update #2 made by the OP is confused. There is a difference between ASIC power, which is what ONLY THE GPU CONSUMES (110W), and total graphics power (TGP), which is what the entire graphics card uses (150W). There has been no change in the spec, so I would ask that incorrect information stop being disseminated as "fact."
    We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it's worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue. Clearly that makes it aberrant, rather than the rule, and we're working to get that number down to zero.
    /edit for absolute factual clarity.

Guys please do not try to make it such a big deal as it is not.

16. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That is exactly what I am doing. Personally I wouldn't touch the reference version until it is fixed. That's if it is able to be fixed.

17. Xman01

Xman01 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3050
    Need to see some retail card tests to see if it's across the board or the review cards.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    He's talking about "hundreds of reviews", yet you need to realize that it doesn't matter. Your sample for this is not the sum of reviews, but the sum of reviews that calculated power consumption on the rail level.

What matters is that ALL the reviews who measured at the rail, seem to find the same thing. It exceeds PCIe specs.

I don't like to spread misinformation either way. If you have a review that measured power consumption at the rails and didn't conclude the same, send it to me and I'll edit it in this post.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Wait so they updated the TDP to be just the GPU, not the entire board?

20. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    No, some sellers also listed ASIC power as 110W.
    Which is accurate.